• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

wormy perch

Where'd you catch yours? We got some in White Iron Lake near Ely. Small white worms all through the meat, threw them away. Tried to cut one of the worms out to take a better look only to have it start moving around like a leach would in the water. I pitched the kit and caboodle. Didn't want to take a chance. Only a couple of the fish had the black spots on the skin though.

Caught one on Lake of the Woods with the same thing. I was told that is pretty much the only type of fish "disease" you have to worry about as far as eating. Hope it doesn't spread too fast.

I have found the same grubs in perch and some walleyes on Vermilion. The fish that come out of the weeds seem to be much more infested than the deep water fish.
I heard that these grubs are the larvae of fresh water snails.???? Don't quote me on this as this may not be true.
If there are only a couple of them in the meat we have just been cutting them out and have not had any adverse effects.....YET! Or Have I???
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

Yellow Grubs!
Years back we found most of the perch we caught in the Ely area had these grubs in them. I felt it would be a waste to throw them out so we packaged them up as we would normaly do.
When we returned home I got busy on the phone. I contacted the DNR and was told that they are harmless to humans if the fish is cooked in a normal preparation such as deep frying or pan frying.
We consumed these fish although I would rather have them grub free. We seem to be heathy.
Also, the Black Spots or specks are called "Neascus". The DNR also claimed the same preparation will render these harmless.
I personally find it easier to consume the black spots over the yellow grubs.
Hope this helps...
Good Eating...
Good Luck...

Leech Lake perch have the same thing. Occasionally you will find them in a bluegill in Leech lake too. I have been told they are fine to eat if they are cooked but that sure is tough to swallow, litterally! As my fishing partner informed me, you can tell if a fish has these before you clean them if you check out the tail. Most of the time they will be present around the tail if the fish is carrying them.ScottS

Most of the lakes I have ever fished has the grubs. The amount of grubs per fish depends on which lake and where on the lake the fish came from; more in fish who lives in shallow, weedy areas.

All fish (all animals) carry parasites. Some of these parasites are found in the muscle tissue. These two parasites, yellow grub and Neascus, are parasitic flatworms and are found in fish. Both are harmless to humans and to the fish unless the fish is completely overrun with them. These "worms" finish their adult life cycle in aquatic vertebrates. Cliff is on the right track about the snails, except it's not the snail larvae, it's the worm's larvae that live part of their life cycle in the snail. It is more common to see these in shallow, warm, weedy water because that is where you find most of the snails and other intermediate hosts.

Like I said, all fish have different types of parasites and these are two of the most common and easily seen. They are harmless and do not effect the meat. It may be a little disturbing to eat a filet that has a lot of these, but a couple doesn't hurt anything. Just cut out what you can and be sure to cook your fish well and you will be fine.

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com