• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lost my key....How do I hotwire my snowmobile?

Mike Stark

the only thing the switch does in open the wire so it grouds out. if you cut the 2 wires and tie them together it should run otherwise I don't know what to do. yes I would get a toggle switch so you can turn the machine off. another thing you can try is. alot of those older switchs can to turned on with another key like it. I know with the old polaris and like truck toppers they can be opened with a small key.

Originally Posted By: mstark83
so i connected the two wires going into the ignition switch...nothing....those were the only two ignition wires.

any ideas?

When you removed the wires from the switch you should not have connected the wires together.

Exactly, You want the circut OPEN , not closed. unplug it and DONT wire anything together until you want to shut it off.

Seriously?

So a hotwire is as simple as opening the hood and cutting the wires?

Good to know, I can see my key getting lost somewhere somehow sometime.

Dtro on your sled this might be easier said than done. You just have to unplug the connector behind the ignition switch and the sled will start up. It is getting to this connector that might be an issue if I recall. I know I lost the key to a ZR580 I had and boy was that a pain to get behind the ign. switch smirk

Quote:
i lost my key to my 1980 yamaha 440 exciter

On this model of sled, any key of similar size will most likely turn the Ign. switch. Just stick it in and jiggle around. If I recall there was only one key offered for this sled.

I signed up just to say I thought Surface Tension was full of it! But he wasn't i have a 340 enticer dad hides the key cuz we got 45 acres out back he doesnt want me driving around cuz if some one gets hurt we could watch a mill go down the drain.. But i tried hotiwireing the 2 wires didnt work then unplugged the ignition cable off the harness fired up in 3 pulls.! THANKS Surface Tension not going to lie i felt like an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly even trying it.

Some snowmobile engines use a N.O. ignition, where the wires are not connected to run and connected to stop. Others use a N.C. ignition which is just the opposite.

All of the snowmobile dynos at A Cat have a switch for choosing which type of ignition is being used.