• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

a state record officially.........

ricqik

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we had a 4 generation rsort and people came from all over country to fish it for bass

reps fromsporting companies were wined and dined and brought out for some great fishing

in early 70's ferral Skinner form Willmar who was the vet Ad director was fishing every evening so I asked to go with him and fish couple times

He did catch several 7 and 8 pound largemouth bass when i was with him

i fished with same gear and several times after went and repeated his methods[my biggest was 6 pounds and several large after

his son came out after and i fished with him,same thing he caught fish that were always a pound or 2 over what I could produce

7 years ago i found his big fish in same chain 4 1/2 miles away and got a couple 6 and 7 pounders

I am quite sure he had Mn stae record but i am only telling this now as I promised would keep secret

Grandpa and Granma have pictures from reost and i have some old Newspaper clippings showing big fish from 40's 50's and 60's from lake

nobody was intereseted in registering these fish asn do not know why

they ate the fish in pictures

i bet most of u don't believe either that a 27" lg bass was also caught n eaten about 10yrs ago, give or take a few yrs without ever making it to the scale.

This is where you lose some cred in my mind. 27"? Not a chance, check out all the length measurements for state record largemouth bass for the northern states that list it. He might of eaten a potential state record bass, but it was nowhere near 27". It is almost biologically impossible for the northern strain of largemouth bass to reach 27".

Originally Posted By: ricqik
i bet most of u don't believe either that a 27" lg bass was also caught n eaten about 10yrs ago, give or take a few yrs without ever making it to the scale.

This is where you lose some cred in my mind. 27"? Not a chance, check out all the length measurements for state record largemouth bass for the northern states that list it. He might of eaten a potential state record bass, but it was nowhere near 27". It is almost biologically impossible for the northern strain of largemouth bass to reach 27".

Except those Normandale Bass, I bet they get that big wink

I think ricqik is referring to the famous O’Dowd fish that was eaten by a shore fisherman. I don’t remember the length (or if there ever was one), but the weight was estimated at 10.75lbs. Not sure how they estimated that, because all they had to go by was the skin, it had already been filleted and eaten.

Quote:
I think ricqik is referring to the famous O’Dowd fish that was eaten by a shore fisherman. I don’t remember the length (or if there ever was one), but the weight was estimated at 10.75lbs. Not sure how they estimated that, because all they had to go by was the skin, it had already been filleted and eaten.

Like I said, it's very possible that that guy ate a state record bass from O'Dowd. I knew this was the fish that he was referring to, but tossing out a 27" length on a northern bass is going to be called out, especially by a guy like me. wink

A 27" southern bass is between 16-18lbs, that's almost double the weight of our current record.

What, did somebody find the ruler that CarpManJake lost? laugh

Even if he didn't have a camera with him, since he brought it home and cooked it- no one had a cell phone anywhere? Not a neighbor, no one?? Where is the carcass and head?

Ok, maybe I can play this game too.... I caught a 37" yesterday. It tasted great.

if you search the site. a guy posted pics of a monster from the red river earleir this ice season. think that was like 32 by 21 or close to that he said. search it if you want to see a pig. a little restauraunt i go to by my work. the owner has a monster 14 lb 8 oz from red wing he caught about 10 years ago. that fish is huge but looks nothing like the pics of the red river one. and they were saying the red fish was about 18lbs. so a metro fish going that big is tuff to believe. sorry to say. ive got some i thought went 10 lbs then u measure them and the calculator deals say 7 lbs.

Except those Normandale Bass, I bet they get that big wink

Quote:
Smallmouth bass, one large claim

ARNPRIOR - The funny thing is, Steven Grail isn't all that wild about smallmouth bass. He prefers fishing for pike and pickerel.

By The Ottawa CitizenJuly 2, 2008

156038-50683.jpg

_IK_1442.jpg

ARNPRIOR - The funny thing is, Steven Grail isn't all that wild about smallmouth bass. He prefers fishing for pike and pickerel.

But Mr. Grail says the bass he caught last Saturday likely constitutes a world record. He claims it weighs an estimated 12 pounds, four ounces -- way more than the existing record of 10 pounds, 14 ounces set by a Tennessee fisherman in 1969. The Canadian record is 9.84 pounds.

But what Mr. Grail did after he landed the bass isn't funny at all, especially to serious fishermen. He filleted the fish.

This is like painting over a Picasso, or turning down a date with a supermodel to attend a Senate committee hearing.

Mr. Grail's catch is now likely to live on as a fish story with a sting in the punchline.

"Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to count as a record," said Mark Cousins, a spokesman for the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH), which certifies trophy fish in the province. To qualify as a record, the fish must be intact.

"The fish is supposed to be whole. He should never, ever have cut it up. The one he has may well be a world record, and I cannot believe he would fillet it. When he told me, I said, 'No, tell me you didn't do that.' If nothing else, I would want to get it taxidermied. That's an amazing fish. A 13-pound smallmouth, that's unbelievable.

"If I caught that fish ... Oh, my god, I'd have it on a scale so fast to get a proper weight on it." The OFAH has several rules and regulations that must be met before a fish can be certified as an Ontario record. Photographs must be taken and witnesses must sign special forms. It's almost like getting married, only they don't weigh the bride.

And not just any scale will do.

"It has to be a registered scale like the kind they have in most butcher's shops or post offices. And they have to send us the scale registration number," said Mr. Cousins.

The fish is then sent to the Royal Ontario Museum where an expert determines that it is actually a smallmouth bass, for example, and not a strange cross-breed of some sort.

Mr. Grail, 57, said he has been fishing for 50 years. "My dad worked for the Hydro, so we moved around a lot and I was always near water." About 5 p.m. last Saturday, he was fishing with his friend Andre Bissonnette on the upper Madawaska River, about a 90-minute drive from Arnprior.

"I always fish from the shore because I like fast water. I was at a special hole I know, and that's all I'm going to say." He caught the bass using a dew worm on a long-shank No. 3 hook and with a 10-pound test line on his seven-foot Shakespeare Ugly Stick rod.

The fish struck about 10 seconds after the line hit the water.

"I knew it was big," said Mr. Grail. "I played it for about 10 minutes, and it was jumping everywhere." When he landed the fish, the possibility that it might be a record never entered his mind. He has caught plenty of big fish over the years -- but never an oversize smallmouth. On his living-room wall, there is a mounted northern pike that weighs 25 pounds. (It's right beside a gag sign that says, "Hunters, fisherman and other liars gather here.") It was only after Mr. Bissonnette got on the Internet to check bass records that Mr. Grail realized what he had done. So he retrieved and weighed the entrails. Then he dug into the freezer and got out the fish head and the fillets, and weighed them. He said the bass was 22 inches long.

Using a complicated Ministry of Natural Resources formula, he calculated the fish's weight, then confirmed it on a scale.

"There is a formula, but it's not scientifically proven," said Mr. Cousins. "It's a lot closer for muskie or pike. The bass he caught had a 24-inch girth. The record I have is only an 18-inch girth. His bass is actually shorter but a lot bigger in girth." The problem with Mr. Grail's reconstituted bass is that it raises the question of identity, said Mr. Cousins.

"I don't doubt him at all, but what's to say they are the pieces from that same fish? We have to be very careful when it comes to records." An OFAH fish biologist will decide whether Mr. Grail's fish counts or not, said Mr. Cousins. "It's not my call, but the fish biologist told me he didn't think it could be certified." Whether it's a record or not will not change Mr Grail's plans for the fish.

"I'm going to eat it," he said.

© © CanWest MediaWorks Publications Inc.

ok, instead of bashing ya, i will hesitantly say i do think there is a possibility of it occuring-the walleye, i like to at least think i can believe people and i dont think you would waste your time posting it, knowing that your gunna get bashed. it is not your fault if your nephew is exaggerating, but if you believe hes being honest i will give you the benefit of the doubt. the 27 inch bass, i dont know about that one though.