• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

a state record officially.........

ricqik

I'm agreeing with d tro on this one. No way that smallie is 13lbs. First thing that popped into my head was 6-7. Still a nice fish but not even close. There's no sagging belly and the mouth isn't that big. Look how he is holding it out for the camera. That loses credibility in my book.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but this is an example of the unreliability of "long arm" photos. Yeah, nice fish, but if it was that nice, why not photo it next to a tape measure (oh yes he does have one, we all do). If you doubt the value of longarm photos, I have a picture of a guy holding a 40 pound perch!

what about this story?

New World Record Walleye Denied Record Status

( Garibaldi, Oregon )

On September 16, Western Angler Senior Editor, Ron Boggs nearly doubled the existing world record with a 47 pound walleye! The size and circumstances of the catch ranks it among the most unusual in modern angling history. Normally, world fishing records are broken by onces or maybe a couple of pounds. Never before has a fish eclipsed an old record by nearly double. But due to a technicality, the old walleye record of 25 pounds will stand.

Because walleye are freshwater fish, walleye records are only registered for freshwater catches. Boggs' unbelievable lunker was caught in saltwater, thus ruling it invalid for consideration in the freshwater walleye books.

"I went to the coast to catch surf perch and just enjoy the sunny weather with my wife Pam. We were out on the bay dunking sandworms on light tackle when the fish hit. We know immediately it was something big...probably a lingcod or sturgeon -- or so we thought."

"It took almost half an hour to get the fish close enough to see it," he recalls. "I did a double-take when I first saw it. Even after Pam netted it I couldn't believe it was a walleye. It was so humongous I had to help her get the overloaded net into the boat. I was shaking so hard I couldn't drive the boat. Pam drove us in to the scale at Greg's Marina, and I about passed out when the needle registered 47 pounds."

"I've dreamed of catching a state record walleye for 10 years. Who would've thought I'd ever see a world record sized fish. Too bad it doesn't count [ in the record books ]."

Many species of fish adapt to both fresh and salt water, but walleye have never been observed to survive in the saltcheck. A marine biologist at the scene speculated that the leviathan fish originated in the Columbia River which empties into the Pacific 50 miles to the North. "It probably caught a fresh water current from the river," the biologist reasoned. "Once the fresh water dissipated, the fish was stuck in the saltwater. It had to either adapt or die. I can't explain why." he shrugged, "but somehow this fish managed to adapt. The Pacific coast is an abundant foraging area, so this walleye probably grew at an accelerated pace."

When asked if other saltwater walleyes were possibly swimming in Oregon or Washington coastal waters, our source hypothesized, "If this one could survive, then others probably have too. The mouth of the Columbia River is the only place in the world where walleyes have access to the Pacific Ocean. They've only been in the lower river for about 25 years. Who know what's happened in that time? Nobody has ever studied the possibility of walleyes trickling into the Pacific."

Boggs doesn't care how the fish managed to exist, but says he's planning future coastal walleye fishing trips. "I hope this wasn't just a fluke. Maybe the record keepers will have to establish a new category for saltwater walleye? If that's the case," he smiles, "then I've got a headstart on other record seekers."

Ricqik, sorry, but that was an article that was in the star or some other tabloid. Pretty sure it was written as an april fool's joke or something. When I first read it, it had me until I saw at the bottom that it was a hoax.
lol, i know

I don't understand why there are so many skeptics on this forum. I could easily prove that all these fish catches are absolutely true with the aid of mathematical equations and photo analysis. I would do this now but Jennifer Aniston & Halle Berry are knocking at my front door, sorry gotta go............

It's true!

Although I didn't see the fish before my aunt skinned it I was there for the Fish Fry. Knowing a fish that size wasn't going to taste very good I lied and said I had just ate at Mickey D's on the way over. I can confirm the size of Fish because the Cheek meet fillets were the Size of a can of Spam and we all know those don't get much bigger then a fiddy cent piece.

I'm going to have to believe the story about his friend's family accidently eating the whole thing. I had the same thing happen, only it was a 7x7 bull elk. They roasted it over a fire and boiled the antlers and hide into soup. The next day, it was all gone.

Quote:
I'm going to have to believe the story about his friend's family accidently eating the whole thing. I had the same thing happen, only it was a 7x7 bull elk. They roasted it over a fire and boiled the antlers and hide into soup. The next day, it was all gone.

Wow, Bob... that sounds like a whole lotta' bull laugh !!!

Sorry... someone had to say it blushwink .