• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

favorite fishing line?

juggs

I've been a Fireline man since I heard of it. I have no need to go stronger than 6lb. test and use their lightest (4lb. test, one pound diameter)when pan fishing. This stuff is strong and sensitive and saves on lures when snagged. The only drawback is the price, but I think it's worth it. The only thing I use mono for anymore is fishing crappies in river trees--too many break offs for that kind of dough. If you want to test the difference in sensitivity, put mono on one spool and Fireline on another (same rod) and swithch them out using a crankbait. I realize you don't need the feel as much with a crank, but you'll notice it much more that way. It really pays off when finese fishing.

I don't mean to start a debate on the merits of Fireline, because I realy like it for certain situations. However, I will not use it on spinning rods used in casting situations (i.e. jigworm fishing for bass). I don't think it casts as good as mono, and I can't break the habit of setting the hook so hard that I darn near go airborne. I've straightened some light wire hooks on jigs with it. However, I really love Fireline (or SpiderWire Fusion) in heavy cover. The stuff slices through pads and other crud when dragging a fish back to the boat. I'll stick with 8lb. Berkley XT on spinning rods.

Hey guys, I have to agree with everyone here. I use both types of line, fire and XT.
They have their strength's and weaknesses. I like the mono for slipbobber fishn and the fire for everyything else. I caught a 20# northern on 14# fireline with no problems. The fish was hooked way down by the gills, but no cut line like mono.

------------------
Happy Fishn :D
Mike

I fish mostly wally's (as if you can't tell by the moniker), and my preferred technique is jigging. But I also rig and slip bobber fish. I have found that XL is like trying to set the hook with a rubber band and XT tends to wrap around the rod tip when jigging. I was given a spool of Rapala tough and Rapala finesse, both were like fishing with baling wire ( coils come off the reel and just lie on the water like a spring). Tried Sensithin, snapped it like a bullwhip the first time I set on a wally over 2lbs (this was 6lb line). I agree with the fireline in certain situations especially when trolling crank baits or fishing at night. In winter, I also like the fact that it is as coil resistant at 0 degrees it is at 100 degrees. However I am often in situations where I am concerned about visibility (wallys living in clear water like Mille Lacs and White Bear). The best all around line for me Stren MAGNATHIN, 6lb. Doesn't coil in the summer, doesn't coil too much in the winter, enough stretch that it doesn't snap when setting on a 8lb wally yet stiff enough to really bury the hook in the tough mouth of the same fish. One winter and one summer rig with fireline, one winter crappie rig with lighter line, one muskie/monsternorthern rig with heavier line, EVERYTHING ELSE has 6lb MAGNATHIN.

Yes I would have to say that fireline is the best all around line for me and I kind of like the spiderwire too. The trilene XT is also a great mono line.

I have alway been a big believer in all the Berkley Trilene lines. We switched one winter to a Stren line and I will NEVER use it again. We have always used either the Trilene XL or XT depending on what we were fishing for. Recently we started spooling up with Trilene's Premium Strength (Tournament Strength, gold box) line. It is strong, thin, very castable because of low memory, and is photochromatic. All around it is a good line and I have no complaints. Seems that Berkley has the advantage here with all the posts, they have a good product. Good luck to all!

----------------

Hey! Your bobbers gone! shocked.gif

Hey I was just curious as to what everyone's favorite all around fishing line is. Lets hear some feed-back frome everybody!

------------------
-Chase

MAXIMA is the strongest mono ever made. It out performs trilene or stren hands down. It has superior abrasion resistance and the knot strength is incredible. It is the only mono I have spooled on my reels when money is on the line.
As far as braided line goes Power Pro is the best I have used. It dosen't fray like fireline, plus it cast like a dream.

I am a Berkley fan overall. Different lines for a different need is a sure thing and they have the options needed to fish effectively.

Power Pro is very good and the fray factor is a very good reason why it is favored by many pros. The castability and cold weather performance of Power Pro line leaves something to be worked on.

As in most things and especially with fishing line one thing is a trade off to gain another characteristic; one line can not do it all just yet.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

how about a line that you were totally disatisfied with? i tried some of gander(squander)mountains, guide series line this spring. i bought 10 pound and 6 pound test. both performed great the first weekend, in strength and castability. low memory etc., but after a couple of weeks in the boat, the lighter line was junk. i allways test pull my knots when tieing on new. just junk. i am going to take whats left and let them throw it away. the 10 lb i haven't had a problem with. yet. keep a firm grip on your jigglestick--------jigglestick---------

The worst line I've ever used was eagle claw 10# test. The knot strength was terrible and I lost several fish because of it. That was the last time I ever went for the bargain line to save some money. I have found that for the most part you get what you pay for.

------------------
-Chase

FireLine is #1 with me but when it comes to slip bobbers it seems to get tangled. On my bobber rods I started to use Berkley Sensation. That stuff is tuff and limp. I tried Berkley Iron silk and took it off right away. I even called berkley and they said it has to be used for a while in order to be limp, A bunch of dump if you ask me. I also use vanish for all my lindy's and Xl for spinners.

------------------
<;(((><

I really like Silver Thread for mono and a spider wire for the power braids. My absolute favorite was Fenwick flexline. It's getting harder to find these days but it's really good stuff.

I really lost confidence in Trilene Xl after they changed the formula a couple years ago. Although I think they fixed it. I couldn't believe how bad it was when the "new" stuff came out.

A few years ago, I would have told you that I thought the Fireline was horse####. But, during an outing on Lake Oahe, where we were drifting/slow trolling bottom bouncers, I was badly outfished by a guy in our boat using fireline. he swore by it. Not being too proud to admit defeat, I relined a reel with the stuff that evening and what a difference it made!! I felt - and caught - many more fish the next day (walleye). I still prefer mono for slip bobbering and for panfish, and I don't care for fast trolling with the fireline, but each line has their place. As for the 'bargain' mono, I haven't had a problem with the cheaper (Eagle Bend, for example) mono...though I do tend to reline all my reels every spring, and I will reline the ones I use more often during mid-season.

Personally-- I'm a straight Mono fisherman for a couple of reasons: Cost, Sensitivity, and if you get hung up you can just "snap" it. Hard to do with spiderwire-- which is also dang near impossible to cut as well without a really good pair of stanless steel siscors or a hacksaw wink.gif . Cost-- well a spool of Trilene goes for what... $5? Whereas your superlines cost twice that per spool. Plus.. I'm not big into the "Nascar" type fishing-- where the goal is to get the sharpest, chemically sharpened hook; reel with the highest gear ratio money can buy, and super strength line-- so you can whip in 5 lb bass like there's nothing to it. Personally I like to hear the scream of a reel. Hooking a 3lb bass on an Ultralight rod with 2 or 4lb mono is great fun-- actually requiring skill as you do have to worry about the line snapping. Sensitivity and the "invisiblity" makes mono better for sight picky fish like Walleyes or Trout; that may spook if they can "see" the line. But I use it for all around fishing. I like Trilene XL as my fav choice-- it's reasonably priced and has comparable breaking strengths to stiffer monos. I've had less tangles with this as it comes off the spool easier. I think mono's are a good compromise between the low vis, low breaking strength of Flourocabon and high vis, high break strength braided "superlines" It's nice not having to worry about what type of line to put on according to what fish you plan to catch. Mono works on everything.

Strait mono here too, Basically 4 lb. test Trilene XL on all my ultralights for most of my fishing (walleye, bass, northern, trout, crappies), and 12 lb. test on my larger baitcaster for big pike and muskie, and salmon. I can't remember the last time I lost a fish due to line (or more often knot) failure, I reline once in the spring, and midsummer if needed.

The basspastor is glad to see many Fireline Fanatics in the congregation. It seems not so long ago that I was a lone Fireline apologist. People told me how bad it was and how it's applications were limited. I spool it 98% of the time. Anytime you need sensitivity or need to rip through the grass Fireline is the line. The 1/4 Fireline is the best kept secret in panfishing. I have never been seriously outfished by another in the boat using mono even jig worming or texas rigging plastic.

I do use some Vanish/Floro for leader. Jigging eyes, 6lb Flo. Green Trilene XT Thanks to Walleye Pro Chis Gillman for that revelation. I also like 20lb Flo. Green XT for Lake MI Fall Stream Salmon Combat Fishing. Other people can see it in those close quarters and you can horse the fish some.

I am very happy with the Power Pro on two of my spinning rods and my Muskie setup.

Although, I still like mono on the rest of my rods. I like the green and clear XT Trilene, but recently I have been disappointed with the performance with it. One day I managed to break off 3 spinner baits while casting 10lb test. Luckily, I recovered all the spinners. I feel the quality of XT is getting worse every year, and have heard similiar reports from other people of unusual "break" incidents.

Juggs,

Sounds like a classic case of line twist. Could be anyone or combination of factors; Defective batch of line, improperly spooled line, overfilled spool, reeling in while fish is taking drag, twist due to lure or bait action, excessive or too little tension on line, and "memory" twist. I would recommend respooling with a good quality line, taking care to ensure that the filler spool is laying flat, and reel on about a dozen turns with light tension, allow some slack, if the line is twisting, flip over the spool in the opposite direction of the twist and start over, this is important to stop the twist from "telegraphing" as you spool on more line. Do not over or under fill the spool. Always use swivels with any lure or bait that may rotate (large leeches can be notorious for this). When a fish is taking out line, stop reeling or the line will become twisted. Minor twisting will nearly always occur with just about all spinning reels over time, its just the nature of the design. Look for reels with oversized spools and large line rollers. Minor twists can be "ironed out" by repeatedly pulling the line between thumb and forefinger and appling some pressure, for major twists cut off that portion of line or respool. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by coldone (edited 07-02-2002).]