• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Being a somewhat new transplant from Minnesota to Pierce County, I am missing my 10,000 lakes, what with the dearth of lakes in the area. Can anyone tell me if Bass Lake is any good, or Pine Lake by Baldwin? Any other recommendations for lakes in western WI?

bass lake is a pretty good lake thru the ice for crappies and walleyes there is actually quite a few good lakes in that area like cedar,squaw,wappogasett to name a few but id have to say one of the better fisheries is the st croix river

Well you should be happy to know that you have moved to a state that actually has more lakes than MN. Wisconsin has about 15,000 lakes. Us WI natives have to let your state brag about something...just kidding.

Pine lake is a good lake for panfish. it gets fished fairly heavily. Be carefull around the aerators, dont know if they are diving out there yet. Be sure to check bag limits for individual lakes in St. Croix county. I know Pine is 10 panfish per day. If you travel north to polk county you will find a lot more lakes.

15,000 lakes huh? Why'd you have to locate them all up north? I don't have a natural lake within 30 minutes of me, and only a couple unnatural ones that are trolling motor only on reservoirs. I tried Pine once in my canoe- fishing wasn't great and water was really murky. I'll give Bass a try. I've had the boat up to Wapagosset to go tubing with the kids, but haven't put a line in the water there yet. I might have to try the ice on the Croix, but it is way too busy for my liking in the wet season. Thanks for the tips.

Yeah the glaciers didn't treat the River Falls area very kindly with lakes. I went to school at River Falls so we fished Pine Lake quite a bit in the winter. The one good thing about pierce county is the trout streams. Travel north to Polk County and you will find more lakes.

bass lake is a pretty good lake thru the ice for crappies and walleyes there is actually quite a few good lakes in that area like cedar,squaw,wappogasett to name a few but id have to say one of the better fisheries is the st croix river

Are you talking about the Bass lake near Summerset on Cty Rd I? Walleye? I have never caught a walleye in that lake ever.

I spent the day on Bass Lake yesterday. Got up early to make it by sunrise. Picked the best looking point on the lake with quick access to a deep hole 30-35ft deep. Drilled one hole in 30 ft and two tip ups in about 15ft. Saw some fish swim by on the flasher in 30ft. Sat there for a few hours waiting for the fish to come back, lost one sucker minnow on my tip up, but no fish. Moved to another point and saw nothing. Moved to the deepest hole in the lake, saw nothing, moved to a third point and drilled four holes (8" hand auger, 24" ice) to find the weed line, same result- no fish. Talked to several others on the lake and they weren't marking anything either. I'm thinking the fish all went south for the winter.