• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pipestone Lake Fishing Reports by Gateway North Outfitters

Hey all,

Headed up to pipestone this Thursday tell sunday with some buddys to stay at on of there cabins on the lake. Havent seen much for reports on here and it will be my first time on the lake. Anyone having any luck for lakers or walleyes. I know its a pretty slow time of the year. Not looking for any hotspots just a general idea of what depth and structure you have been seeing them on. Im guessing mid lake humps for eyes would be the best bet as of now

The walleyes are on the mid lake reefs and in 14-18 fow. Leeches and Lindy's are working great. Here are a couple of the bigger ones we caught and released the other day.

TrophyWalleyeFishing1.JPG

TrophyWalleyeFishing2.JPG

Let us know how you do and post some pics. It is a great fishery and keeps getting better all the time.

Ok Lucas are you fishing with St Croix/live bait combo or just the weed wacker located in the bottom of the bow casting platform.Never tried that presentation before.I remember the Beautiful golden walleye's of pipestone and the grith !! Amazing. Just thought I'd pop in and say Hi, sorry we didnt get up there this year. Wishing your famly the best !!

John and Joe from Ramsey, MN - Whats the biggest Muskie this year.

Hey John, good to hear from you and you noticed the weed wacker. I was using the StCroix rod with a lindy and leech. The biggest muskie our guys have talked around 45"'s. You will have to get back up again, it keeps getting better every year.

Great to hear from you Lucas. Our plan was to be up there this summer. After talking with Nikki the dates just didnt match up. Glad to hear the business side of things are going well. Just curious, hows is the Kaminni Lake Camp coming along ?? When do you think it will open?. What can we expect fishing wise ? Is it located in the same area as Grant and Dogfly ? Thanks John

Lucas, sounds like the Walleye fishing is picking back up on Pipestone. Indian reef should be getting hot around now. Sand point should have some fish now. I used to fish off Bear Island also..Not sure if the reef south of Sullivans Camp (joannes hole) what we called used to always had some big walleyes on it. I also saw someone post on here about Tinker. I remember Tinker from way back in the early 70...They Had a Resort on Off Lake. Is that the One you own now? Also is the Camp that was at Spring Lake still there? Funny how they would block the road so you couldnt portage in there. Hope your Family and Mom and Dad are doing well. We just got back from Vermilion last week. Caught alot of fish but nothing the size of the Fish up there..Pipestone was had but when you caught a fish it would always put a smile on your face.. grin

The walleye fishing keeps getting better and better every year. All the spots you mentioned are constant producers. Many others are too. The old camp on Spring Lake has been tore down and there are just a couple cabins left now. We bought the plave that Rudy French used to own on Off Lake. The one Tinker used have is pretty much shutdown from what I see. Here is another great Pipestone walleye from yesterday. You are going to have to get back up, it has been to many years since having the cabin.

OntarioTrophyWalleye001.JPG

Superbee-

That is an awesome fish!! I will be up tomorrow morning where do I meet you?

grin

From the pic that looks like it has to have gone over 30?

Glad to see your having a great Summer!!

Talk to you sometime soon-

Hoffer

Hey Hoffer - It was just shy of 30", it was 29 and change with a huge girth. A quick picture and back in the water. I only fish a few hours after working, think what you could do fishing all day(LOL).

You keep mentioning trying Pipestone, someday you will try it and wonder what you were waiting for. I am sure you would enjoy the North end of the system, I know you enjoy the South end. Pipestone is a different experience than Jackfish/Despair.

I know!!!

The thing is my buddies who I fish with in the Fall have a cabin on an island in North jackfish and it has all the ammenities and is super nice. Plus, the "cabin rent" is only 10 bucks a night so thats hard to beat grin

However, i am going to work on them to give pipestone a chance in the near future. You just have to promise to guide us to a few good spots - and to also catch that 29 incher when its 30+ grin

I will shoot you an email when we get closer to our Fall outing and maybe we can meet up?

Last, what are your thoughts on why the North end of Pipestone is "different" ?

More consistent chances to catch bigger fish? I do like al the islands and bays that Jackfish has to offer - and i sure is a pretty area.

It is really good in June too, not just the fall. You can get smallies on the beds and walleyes for diner. You just need to get Bruce to give it a try on that trip then you can still hit Jackfish in the fall.

I can definately get you on the fish, we basically caught them on all the spots we tried that day in the heat and being mid day too. I prefer the North end over the South because I fish it the most. I know some guys that do very well on the South end too, but it is does not have all the islands and humps that the North end does.

Let me know when you will be up, maybe we can get together. It will depend on how the bear hunts are going. We are very busy with hem this fall. Don't catch too many of those slabs when you are on Jackfish, they should be hitting good when you are up!

Me and a few guys are heading up to Yoke Lake here in just over a week. Does any one have any reports from there this summer? Whats the water temps at these days? We usually do really good for eyes but I was hoping to get after a few lakers and muttskis as well, any info would be appreciated.

Would you refresh some fading memory's for me please superbee. My best friend, Glen Erbe, used to live on Clearwater Lake so I've spent a lot of time fishing on there and Pipestone. Always great fun and many, many fish! The name Tinker ring's a bell. Was he the guy that would fly his plane just barely over the treetop's because he was scared of height's? grin1DIRTBALL wink

well it was either Tinkle or Eric Swinkle (not sure of the spelling on last name) he used to own the INN on Off lake. Not sure that it would be Eric since he was a German Fighter Pilot in WWII. Flew with him a few times when I was younger. Have flown with Tinker also so not sure it would have been him either..Eric did fly pretty low now that I think about it but was probably because he would land his plane on a lot of lakes no one else would. He was a minor trapper. He supplied most of the camps with there bait...Sure miss some of the old times on Clearwater. Did anyone on here know Richard Enberg? CBS sportscaster, his father had a place on Clearwater.

Thanks for your response Clearwater1964! The person I was inquiring about was Eric. I had forgotten his name. My buddy Glen was the one who always claimed that he flew that way because he was afraid of height's. Of course Erbe was so full of baloney, I should have known better than to believe him! laugh It's going to bug me though until I can remember who Tinker was. 1DIRTBALL wink

Super bee or others.

I have owned a cabin on clear water for about six years and have not had alot of time to fish the area that much. My thirteen year old made me promise to quit working on the place and take him fishing. So next week we plan on fishing for five days (no work). Does anybody know of guides in the area who we could hire for a few days for pipestone or the south end lakes?

Thanks Bob

I know I am a bit late for this, but was real busy with my bear hunts and was not on the computer near as much. For future reference, you could get in touch with James Asplund. He knows the water very well and would most likely help you out. You can email me for his number. He has a cabin on the top end of Clearwater and is ther pretty much all year.

Had a good day on Pipestone today with a friend and his son. We caught a good number of walleyes on lindy rig with leeches. Caught a good number of eaters and lots over 18". This was the first trip for my friends son. He landed a 26" and 27" walleye within 30 minutes of each other. Great day on the water.

26" walleye

26pigwalleye.JPG

27" walleye

27pigwalleye.JPG

Excellentwalleyefishing_000.JPG