• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat problems

8-Ball

Hi and thanks to all for suggestions on lakes not too far out of metro- keep them coming if you think of any others... Took kids out today to Demontreville by Lake Elmo. Kids caught some sunnies- but as you fathers out there know, it is hard to fish when constantly taking off little buggers and re-baiting hooks. But I am not complaining. Kids had a blast, and it was a nice day. Now, to my problem. I have a 99 crestliner 1750 sportfish w/ a 90 johnson. It ran very rough all day. Backfired and stalled a lot. And when I had her up to full throttle, she was only up to about 10mph. I winterized boat last fall, used sta-bil, etc. Could it be the plugs? Any suggestions? Remember C&R. Thanks .

What did your tachometer say at WOT for maximum RPMs?

There are many possibilities here; spark plugs, gasoline, carbeurator jets, oil inject purging, coils, power pack., false SLOW system activate, ect...

More info would be appreciated

PCG

Thanks for replies on boat. I did the gas check-looks like no water in the gas. I really did not check to see what rpms were when I had her at full throttle and it was bogging down. I guess I will replace plugs for starters and see if that changes anything. If it doesnt, can anyone suggest a good place to have it looked at? I bought it at Crystal Marine, but they are backed up past the 4th. Thanks for suggestions-8-Ball.

The absolute best place to take a boat for service, bar none, is Maplewood Marine.
I have no connection with them, just high regards for their ability and honesty.
I have them service my Crestliner every year even though I have to take my boat 180 miles one way to have it done.
You should call them and explain your situation to them, see what they say.
Maplewood Marine Inc
1136 Frost Ave MPLWD MN 55109
(651) 776-0645

Did you take the plugs out and fog the cylinders?? If you did, could you have gotten two of the wires mixed up?? I would start with new plugs, do you use carbon gaurd in your gas? Outboards are very sensitive to carbon stopping the rotation of piston rings, thus affecting the way it runs. The symptoms you described are deffinately a cylinder not hitting or a timing issue, and since this happened after winterizing I would say dead plug!! Or mixed up wires.

Good Luck!!

Thanks for info/suggestions. Yes, I fogged the cylinders and did all the necessary winterizing last fall-never been a problem until now. Also, will put in new plugs and drop her in on Fri-hopefully that will correct proble. Otherwise, I may check out Maplewood Marine-but $90/hr for labor hurts, big time.

Thanks for added info from up north, fishin bemidji, etc.. I checked plug wires and I indeed had two of them mixed up. I changed them around and dropped her in on Sunday- ran much better-no backfiring, popping, stalling, etc. But- when i put it down wot it still bogged down-i.e. never got over about 20 mph. Could a clogged fuel filter or the leftover gas from last winter still be causing this problem? I am at a dead end... And need to remedy this asap as we are going out of town to a resort for a week starting the 29th. Any other suggestions would be mucho appreciato.

8-ball

You could try some isopropyl in the tank if you think it's water, was the tank full over the winter? Always fill your tank for storage, an empty tank allows condensation to form on the inside of the tank as the temps change. Did you put new plugs in? Do you use Sea Foam, or Carbon Gaurd? If you don't use one of these additives, give them a try. Carbon slows the rotation of the piston rings and will eventually stop them allowing blow-by and loss of power. It will also cause your cylinders to wear unevenly, instead of round they will become oblong. Thus not allowing any rotation at all. Can you tell that I just spent $3600 on a rebuild? If you fog your cylinders you want to put new plugs in every year. I put new plugs in two times a year. Your motor is too new to have serious problems, 99 you said right. Unless you guide 100 days a year, your problem has to be something simple. Another tip, I put only 91-92 octane non-oxygenated in my motor. For the amount of gas that you run through it's worth the extra ten cents a gallon, for the performance.

Fishin Bemidji-thanks for tips-the problem was water in the gas tank-$275.00 later as it were...Oh well, I learned from my mistake. I will be buying one of those siphon deals at Fleet Farm and have it on hand just in case... and will put in new plugs-a cheap insurance policy. Do I need to make any adjustment on the gap of the new plugs? Or are they good to go from the package?

Hmmm I think I said that it was water in the gas. smile.gif
Its hard to siphon it all out. Water's going to sit in the lowest point after it settles. So try and get your hose there. If you used oxygenated gas dont use any isopopal ! (sp)