• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FYI - Navionics on iPhone

BoxMN

I just thought of looking for an iPhone app that shows lake maps. Then I thought about checking the FishingMN forums and...voila. Thanks guys. I'm going to download it tonight. It seems like a no-brainer for me - Spend $10 on an iPhone app or spend a couple hundred on a handheld GPS

I downloaded the Navonics iPhone app last night. All that I can speak for is what I was able to see while sitting in my living room, but well worth the $10 already. It's got the basic contours for the metro lakes that I fish on a regular basis, so it just beat out my Metro map book. I'll have to see how it functions on the water, but so far so good.

Also, since the Droid version has just been released, or going to be released, it would be cool to get some Droid users input on what they think of that version of it.

Looks like it was released ~12 days ago.

The first comment made by a user that downloaded it: Wish you could zoom in closer.

Go figure. Typical response when Navionics is mentioned, cell phone app or otherwise.

Maybe we'll be fortunate and Lakemaster will jump into this realm.

Also, since the Droid version has just been released, or going to be released, it would be cool to get some Droid users input on what they think of that version of it.

Here is a little bit about it... http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2275563/Navionics_for_Android#Post2275563

So far so good for me. The only thing I am not a fan of is not being able to mark my current location. Other than that its pretty darn good considering its a lake map program running on a cell phone gps.

Deadeye, just wondering, but can you just tap the middle of the screen (your location) and drop a "pin" (waypoint) right there? I can on the iphone version. Actually can drop a pin anywhere, so if you tap over the cursor, it will mark that (your current) location. I do wish it was more like what is on my older Lowrance units, like just double pushing wpt button to leave quick waypoint, as the iphone nav app makes you go through a few steps to leave waypoint.

Not sure if that is what you mean by marking current location. Ideally they would have a "drop waypoint" button on the UI somewhere, though the tapping seems to pretty much do it, just not quickly.

Thanks for the thread on droid version. I might have to get it on my boss' droid just to check it out.

It wont let me mark it no matter what I do. I emailed Navionics and they said that was something they were working on. It is a older version of it too so when we get updated to what the iphone app is, it should work. There is a couple ways to get around it but if I am really wanting to mark my spot I can use Google My Tracks and reference that.

Looks like it was released ~12 days ago.

The first comment made by a user that downloaded it: Wish you could zoom in closer.

Go figure. Typical response when Navionics is mentioned, cell phone app or otherwise.

Maybe we'll be fortunate and Lakemaster will jump into this realm.

Yes, they seem to have issues with lack of zoom, which is why I prefer Lakmaster. I will say that Nav is much more progressive in there development. Lakemaster is always a little behind, but better IMO.

I was curious as to how your overall service/reception is for the iphone owners. I'm at the end of my contract with Sprint and I'm considering a change - been with Sprint since the beginning.

Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

I have had ATT for years. I spend most time in Twin Cities area or Brainerd area or West Central MN. I have good coverage all those areas, but it is a bit spotty in St. Croix River Valley area (which is silly, it is so close to cities, but maybe bluffs are reason). Also last time I was in Remer outskirts I lost signal.

North Dakota is not good for ATT, NE of Devils Lake.

I had pretty good coverage going up to Rainy Lake, but once off the main roads it wasn't great.

I think Verizon is best if you get off the main drags, but I gotta say I won't complain about ATT as much as folks who don't have it do wink

As for reception with iphone, as long as you have ANY signal the calls are clear and I don't drop hardly any at all. Good luck, I am not apple fanboy, but I do like iphone. Sorry for off topic response.

As far Lakemaster v Nav, I would agree. Lakemaster is easier to use, updates faster, and I would like a bit more zoom on the iphone nav app.

I was with AT&T from 1999-02, Sprint from 2003-04, Verizon from 2004-05, Sprint from 2005-10, and now AT&T again with my iPhone. I loved AT&T the first time, hated Sprint the first time, Verizon gave me the worst reception (contrary to most people), and Sprint was awesome my second go around. My wife and I switched to AT&T since work gave me an iPhone but it's been a giant joke. I love the phone but the service is spotty. We constantly lose calls all over the Cities. I do now get coverage on Vermilion but I didn't really want to have it.

Overall I'm happy to have the iPhone but seriously wish that I could switch to a different carrier - or they could configure things so that we didn't drop so many calls.

2011 is when it expires supposedly. Once again we will have to wait and see if they are pulling our leg again or not. Until then I will just have to rough it and enjoy having a phone that does. grin

I would be willing to give the iPhone a shot honestly, but I'm not gonna do anything till its running 4g. As much as I poke fun at apple and how much I dislike Steve jobs their stuff works decent. They put all their work into one device and I think that it shows in how well it works.

Stuff like the Navionics works so good on it because they are not trying to make it work on several devices.

I started a face book page that i use pretty much only for a fishing journal with pictures, maps and way points all sent from iphone navonics right to Facebook. you can get a extremely concise journal going when you team up navonics with a weather app and a barometer app. All that is left is to make the iphone water proof and make a water temp app.

ohh not to mention once you use touch screen controls you will want it on ever piece of outdoor electronics that you own (and that is coming from a guy with sausage fingers)

We should all push apple to make a outdoor version that can be put on a lanyard and dropped in the snow or used in the rain.

and one last thing you can read HSO while in the fish house! The Iphone changed my life... sad but true

Verizon's 4G network launches this November, so the timing would be about perfect. It definitely would help expand their market share.

The rumor I read is that Apple is pretty unhappy with ATT's network, and the fact their 4G won't launch until about a year after Verizon's will. Take it for what its worth.