• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Registration and # question

NotoriousBLM

I bought my first (used) boat last year, and have been fishing it since then. This evening while getting ready for Saturday fishing, I noticed that the boat # that is painted on the hull does not match the # on the sticker( it is an '03 sticker). Is my rig legal?

Thanks, NotBLM

The hull identification number (HIN) is supposed to be your registration number. It also verifies year of manufacture -- last two digits being the year (e.g. 98 would be manufacture in 1998).

If your HIN does not match the registration, you had better check on it immediately.

Forgot to mention -- HIN is not painted on, but rather stamped on a plate on the transom, usually upper right hand corner as you stand behind the boat.

I think BLM is asking about the numbers on the DNR license sticker and the decal numbers you have on each side of the boat. They should match. Legal not too? I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I checked the DNR's boat reg's and your registration card #, sticker #, and the # in front of the DNR sticker all have to match. It looks like I'll be doing some painting! Page 6 sums it up. (Hope this isn't an illegal link.)
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/boatwater/boatingguide02.pdf

Maybe you could find some stickon letters that would go over the painted ones. It sure would be a lot easier and cover them up. Just make sure you read the regulations about size and color.

------------------
Phyl

Printing companies make nice license number strips I've always used. They are one long adhesive strip and can be made the size and color you need. Looks much nicer than individual letters/numbers or paint.

What's the best way to get old numbers off? I bought a boat this year that needed the new sticker and I noticed that the numbers are now different. The boat was custom painted and I'd hate to wreck that. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

If your boat numbers starts with MN and ends with DD (eg. MN 1234 DD) that's a dealer #, it's used to show/demonstrate boats before sale. You will need same letters/numbers as your DNR registration sticker.
Anything with DD at the end has to be used from a registered dealer.

Val