• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

August DL or Lake of the Woods

I'm planning a 3 day trip to either Lake of the Woods or DL. I have a 16' lund. Do you think I'll have a better chance of not getting blown off DL than Lake of the Woods? There really isn't anywhere to hide from the wind at Lake of the Woods. How is DL???

I would pick Devils Lake because of the many boat ramps on all sides of the lake. Yes it is big and it can be rough but I have always found spots out of the wind. My 2 cents. One thing for sure, the fishing has been good on both lakes recently.

I'd have to agree on the last response. I have a 16' boat & fished Devils Lake in June. It would be hard to imagine it being so rough there that you couldn't find a bay to trailer to & it still be fishable. It's huge, but broken up into several major bays, with a ton of smaller bays off of those & plenty of access points. I've only ice fished LOW, but there's some huge expanses of water out there & I've read posts this summer of some awfully larger rollers on windy days.

Fished Devils Lake for the first time this past weekend and I must say I was impressed. You could always find a good place to fish on this lake.
Getting out of the wind looked like it was not a problem and tying up to flooded timber and fishing right off the side of your boat was an added bonus! Didn't hardly burn any boat gas.
We all filled out with very nice eating fish. Sure went through a lot of leeches though. As a forty year fisherman of L.O.W. I just can't wait to try it out with a house this Winter. I know I will be back again. We really had a good time and there was no crowding issues either at the dock or on the water. Local motels also seem to know what fisherman want and need, [a place to clean your fish and park your boat] Not trying to kill any L.O.W. action here just my thoughts on last weekends fishin.