• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oneida Lake Fishing Reports

Kyle and I hit a spot on the West end at day light and we never moved once and caught fish from the time we got there till the time we left at 1:30, I was short 4 fish for my 50 gills/sunfish but must have caught at least or more that many that were 8"-8 1/2". I was only keeping the larger sunfish and gills, Kyle did pretty good also and he was keeping a few and c/r a lot of mediums/large himself. We both ended up with a BIG crappie and Kyle landed a 3 lb Largey and I took a pic of it with his phone so maybe he will post it, sorry we didn't get any pictures but it was really cold and to busy pulling fish hand over fist. We went to my first GPS spot (away from the crowd) and when we finally opened up our traps the shuffle was on us hard... LOL I guess when you fish in one spot for almost 6 hours and don't move someone is going to catch on... LOL

Kyle - was fun and we finally got into some fish together.... You did catch the first fish though, even though it was a small perch... LMAO Funny how we had to keep all our rods close by with different presentations for when the fish would just sit there and stair, then you switch rods fast and they would get into another frenzy. We kept talking to each other what lure was working at the moment and switch to stay in the game... LOL It was hard for me to sit in one hole for so long and not even stand up to stretch but we didn't have time to think about that because the action was hot, we both didn't realize it until we started walking in but our feet got cold from just sitting there on the ice not moving... LOL

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thunder - responded to your post last night but had trouble with the server - some type of time-out connection thingy. Anyways, got a ride out and back so don't know about the walking conditions. However I walked around when we were out there to warm up a bit and the walking was real easy - like walking in the parking lot. Creepers, not spurs grin are probably a wise choice. The distance to where we finally ended up fishing didn't seem all that far, I've walked that far before. We may be venturing out tomorrow, I'll post when more details are determined.

Lee sounds like you had a stellar day!!! I've had similar "moving in" experiences on different bodies of water, but the place you fished is absolutely the worst I've personally seen. I guess that why the term the BB shuffle was invented.

Fished off the north shore today from 2pm to 4:30pm it was slow the first 1 1/2 hrs. Then a fish came on the graph nice male perch, droped it back down another fish came on the graph big mark this time I am thinking Waldo he SMASHES it I get it to the hole not a waldo its a 16 inch atlantic salmon(muddshark) grin,What a beautiful fish and ficety at that cool.That was worth the trip alone it was released safely back to the lake cool

Fished the north side of the big O today. Spent most of the day out there. Marked fish fairly consistently in 26' of water for most of the day. A ton of non-biters whether the marks were high or low or singles or multiples. Tried the usual assortment of both perch and walleye lures.

Did manage to ice 11 nice perch, no waldos, 4 large white perch and a big drum. The drum was one of the high marks. Buddy did 6 perch, 3 of them came on buckeyes, I caught all mine on spikes.

Saw Thunder at the end of the day. He looked pretty winded and beat-up sick . I figured it was because of the mountain side we had to climb up but it really was from his battle with that atlantic salmon wink. Way to go Thunder!!! Thats one hell of a fish on an ice rod.

Looking forward to a super bowl eve slamboree a little bit west of where we were with no mountains to climb.

My day yesterday had Murphy’s Law written all over it. We had a nice breakfast at the Vienna Hotel and drove to Apps in Cleveland (Oneida Lake) to fish out front. We stayed for a couple of hours and caught 9 perch in our group and at 0930 we had a report from a friend off Jewel that had 20 perch and since the 5 of us were not marking many fish in Cleveland we picked up and moved to Jewell to fish with another buddy that was on some nice perch. This is where I should have just went home…

I get back to my van and put my gear away and noticed that tip top came off a very expensive rod that I own, I figure no problem I will Super Glue it when I get home I had four more ice fish rods with me so no big deal. Excited about changing locations to see some fish come through the hole… Let’s Fish!

The next thing I noticed driving from Cleveland east to Jewell was a strong smell of gasoline in my van. So when I arrived in the Jewel parking lot, I open up the sliding door and there’s a small puddle of fuel that leaked from my power auger on the mat, (leaky fuel line). So I placed a couple of rags under it to soak up the fuel spill and left the windows cracked to air out the van while I was fishing. I don’t know if any of you guys know this but the ice fishing access on Jewell is about a 60 degree hill straight down to some shove ice at the bottom. Under the snow is hard mud and in the afternoon with the sun beating on it becomes a slippery mess. Well yours truly was starting to negotiate this sharp decline with the shack behind me which was the wrong way to do it as I should have had it out in front of me ... Any how well as you can guess I take one step and slip on my a$$ as I slide feet first with my shack on my back down a hill at about 20 mph. and crash at the bottom of the hill. Yikes!! Then I gathered myself and my gear that had fell out and my sore butt and head out onto the lake where I fished for 4 hours and caught a whopping 3 more perch for a total of 4 perch for the day. So yesterday was not my day...

Reports off 20th Ave. in 30' one walleye and 7 perch and a few silver bass. (Spitshot/ Tub)Rick and Rick Jr. are coming up tomorrow and I am not quite sure where to take them. If you have any suggestions give me a shout. Thanks guys...

Tim - didn't mean to laugh but that was a pretty funny story. I mean "ice fisherman the victim of a hit and run shanty" would be a hell of a headline in the Sentinel. Thats a tough way to go down hill. Glad only your pride was hurt.

Fished with John and others off Lewis Point today. I think we were on Messengers shoals. Walleye bite was virtually non-exsistent; 1 eye between 5 guys. Took a ride out to center lake or so and picked up some sumo perch in around 36'. I had 5, John 4 and Tom 1. Too bad we didn't go out there to begin with.

My day yesterday had Murphy’s Law written all over it. We had a nice breakfast at the Vienna Hotel and drove to Apps in Cleveland (Oneida Lake) to fish out front. We stayed for a couple of hours and caught 9 perch in our group and at 0930 we had a report from a friend off Jewel that had 20 perch and since the 5 of us were not marking many fish in Cleveland we picked up and moved to Jewell to fish with another buddy that was on some nice perch. This is where I should have just went home…

I get back to my van and put my gear away and noticed that tip top came off a very expensive rod that I own, I figure no problem I will Super Glue it when I get home I had four more ice fish rods with me so no big deal. Excited about changing locations to see some fish come through the hole… Let’s Fish!

The next thing I noticed driving from Cleveland east to Jewell was a strong smell of gasoline in my van. So when I arrived in the Jewel parking lot, I open up the sliding door and there’s a small puddle of fuel that leaked from my power auger on the mat, (leaky fuel line). So I placed a couple of rags under it to soak up the fuel spill and left the windows cracked to air out the van while I was fishing. I don’t know if any of you guys know this but the ice fishing access on Jewell is about a 60 degree hill straight down to some shove ice at the bottom. Under the snow is hard mud and in the afternoon with the sun beating on it becomes a slippery mess. Well yours truly was starting to negotiate this sharp decline with the shack behind me which was the wrong way to do it as I should have had it out in front of me ... Any how well as you can guess I take one step and slip on my a$$ as I slide feet first with my shack on my back down a hill at about 20 mph. and crash at the bottom of the hill. Yikes!! Then I gathered myself and my gear that had fell out and my sore butt and head out onto the lake where I fished for 4 hours and caught a whopping 3 more perch for a total of 4 perch for the day. So yesterday was not my day...

You can't say I didn't tell you so laughlaugh that sounds like a typical Timmy day whistle.That should have been caught on video grinpriceless.

Thunder - laughed even harder when I read your post laughlaughlaugh.

Let's see:

Breakfast at the Vienna Hotel: $6.00

Fuel Cost Rome to Cleveland and Return: $12.00

Carpet Cleaner & Odor Eliminator for Fuel Spill: $15.00

Video of Timmy trying out for Vancouver Winter Olympics downhill freestyle: Priceless

Timmy sounds like our day as well except minus all the problems smile We fished between where you fished started out fishing by 6:30 am for the hot walleye bite that never came. They were there the night before and gone in the morning frown. 3 of us fished from 6:30 am untill 11:30 am and the only fish caught were the 2 white perch and 20" burbie I got. I still don't understand why anyone would want to throw a tasty burbot on the ice for the birds, they fight good have decent size and taste good. eek

Fished the north shore south of the mountain Timmy fell down. A heck of a lot easier if you let your shelter go down first smile . Didn't start well;somehow managed to loose each of the first 3 jumbos that came calling. Did better after that and ended up with 8. Only 2 were somewhat small (9.5s) the rest nice to very nice. Marked a lot of fish; getting them to hit was another story and when they did it was very lightly and difficult to get a hook into them. Tried just about everything in the arsenal - just a difficult day but a good one nonetheless. Did a Timmy and managed to break my camera about a week ago. I'll see if my son-in-law can take a pic for me and post tomorrow. Some really nice yellows in the Big O.

If it makes Timmy feel any better a guy leaving the lake on his quad with his partner behind him flipped it on the mountain. Lucky they didn't get killed. Not a terribly intelligent thing to try to do despite what they show in commercials, etc.

Well I had a decent day on Oneida finally, nothing spectaculer but I foung 14 nice perch that took the vertical ride up today and a nice walleye. It was geat fishing with Rick, RJ, Bobby and Todd. Glad you liked the Showdown RJ. Keep me posted on your next few trips out with the new unit.

Sorry about the cell pics, like Dark Cloud I forgot my camera.

The walleye...

downsize2.jpg

He liked the Northland Hexi-Fly very much..

downsize3.jpg

Todd's thick 12" hogger, it was one of the widest bodied fish I have seen. Nice job Thunder!

downsizeb.jpg

Perch pics..

Knacker snacker with custom Dark Cloud modified dropper..

downsize1.jpg

Last 3 before I left..

0206101354.jpg

Off the east end in 20.5' of water. I missed more than I caught but finally a day with no mishaps what so ever. Thanks you guys for the tips on affixing my tip-top on my Quiverstick and it worked great today!

Good luck tomorrow gang, Rosa's birthday so I will be home with Momma all day.

Fished next to Chris.. ended up with 16 jumbos and 2 dozen pin pike.. and ligged up one legal eye. Chris... I'm staying west tomorrow... gonna try the depths around the Constantia shoals for a change.. though the reports have been poor for the area...

Sounds like a few people had some good days. Good going.

Didn't fish today. Here is a few pics from yesterdays outing. The perch wasn't that long at only a little over 12.5" but the girth was something else. Pretty similar to the one Thunder had.

Sorry about the size of the pics, can't figure out how to resize the pics my son-in-law took.