• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Jigs Used On Oneida Lake From The Past

ThunderJig - Those jigs were quite heavy and got down quick. I'd guess 1/16, probably heavier. I remember haveing one that was black n yellow that caught alot of fish. They were nice when you were on fish thick and didnt have to finness them. Just get up and down quick and get another fish out of the school before they moved. There was another jig that was similar but was more rounded also...

To Jay and Todd

The Big Dipper in the picture is 1/8oz. There also was a Lil Dipper at 1/16oz and a Baby Dipper at 1/32oz. I hope that helps. Jay KNOWS his jigs and is totally correct about their description.

Icerod - Funny, I started playing around this fall painting and modding jig-em-ups. One thing is for sure the hooks on all of them stink! The old originals and the new ones too. I played around with adding a trebel but no mater what configuration I use the thing tangles. The jig just has that much action. I did remove and replace some with fine wire nymph hooks though...

Here are some that I had good times with on Oneida Lake. Hopefully I got all the names correct. From left to right: 1)football jigs from Apps Landing 2)Northland fire eye jig or fire eye grub 3)Jig A Whopper walleye hawgers 4) Stryker or striker (on left) anyone who fished with Fishin Phil knew that one right Tank & Jay and banana jig (on right) and finally 5) Pop-O's from Woodys Lures.

oneidalures.jpg

Yep Dave, we called that one the "green thing". And Phil had it on seemingly 99% of the time. Packed it full of spikes, sometimes left them on all weekend and just added a few throughout the day. cool

Those footballs caught alot of fish and got up and down quick. And I just happen to know who has the molds. whistle

Aren't those garland one K & E's? Or a close facsimile of them? I have something like those banana jigs from Bill I think they use em on Erie and Simcoe...

They drop like a rock I used em once on C and didn't catch anything on them but I didn't fish them very long.

Jay - i was talking with Glen when I saw your reply, I read it to him and we both had a good laugh. You know Phil as well as anyone. I remembered the time we were suppose to leave camp at lets say 6:30 to get to his and Jimmy's hot spot. By 7:30 Phil was still getting his gear ready and having his coffee, Glen got so annoyed that we started hoofing it out by ourselves. A while later Phil stopped on his way out and told us he would come back in to give us a ride out. Just by talking to him you could smell the cologne he was wearing. Glen said you think he was going out with Dale rather than going fishing. I guess he wanted to smell good for the perch.

Tim - I don't know the origin of the footballs - I got them from Rick, they very well may have been K&Es. The same for the banana jigs don't know where Rick got them from but they were pretty hot for a while.

Pman - Everyone was a bit diff, lol. Glen was always a little higher strung, Phil took his time, and Jimmy was about as relaxed as they come. He never got too excited about much, just even keel. With Glen being wound a little tighter, he was more fun to outfish. cool

Phil also had that theory that the deep perch didnt wake up till about 8-8:30. And 98.887666% of the time he was right...

I dont think those footballs were K&E, like i said, I have access to the mold....

I have a mess of footbal jigs left over from when I owned the bait shop up in Chenango Forks. Some glow ones also. The ones I have are from Woody lures. Also have swillow, willows, perch eyes ect. The football jigs I have look more like the first set of jigs that were posted on here.

The original footballs are from "Jigger John Wirth" from Binghamton. The footballs from Woody's are Caty's that were replicated from Jigger John, and the 1/16oz bananas from Aps were from me. I also have the old triad molds for those 1/32oz and 1/16oz football jigs. Jigger John gave me samples and gave me the address back in the early 90's where I got them made. Unfortunately those molds were only one cavity molds with red rubber handles over solid steel rod handles. The jigs with the "garland" on them were designed by Jigger John and were called super football jigs. They were tied with silver crystal chenille and white saddle hackle.

Aren't those garland one K & E's? Or a close facsimile of them? I have something like those banana jigs from Bill I think they use em on Erie and Simcoe...

They drop like a rock I used em once on C and didn't catch anything on them but I didn't fish them very long.

Tim we all know you like bananas whistle and we also know you don't like to keep a jig on for anymore than like 3 minutes at a time unless your catching fish winkgrin.

I have a mess of footbal jigs left over from when I owned the bait shop up in Chenango Forks. Some glow ones also. The ones I have are from Woody lures. Also have swillow, willows, perch eyes ect. The football jigs I have look more like the first set of jigs that were posted on here.

Kappy did you know anyone by the name Richard Russ in chenango forks?

Hey Dark Cloud, I have seen some of Jay's jigs and he does incredible work. Very consistent and meticulous. His father John had some very interesting molds. Rick from Ap's bought many of the molds including the barumba jig mold. I believe his son Jay has the rest of his father's custom molds.

DC, how long would it take to rifle through all the jigs you have grin.

Probably a week n a half. whistle But I have turned over a new leaf. I used to bring pounds of jigs with me, now im down to a few small boxes. Yes I have an addiction but I also realize 4-5 jigs cover everything if you know how to use them...

Presentation is more important than imitation...