• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey Paul, sorry I didn't get back to you on your questions. I saw your post but haven't fished Nelson for about 10 years, I was hoping someone else would jump in. Guess maybe no one else has fished it lately either. Anyway, how was the fishing? I haven't been out much since Christmas, just been way too cold for me.

The family was going to do Yellow Lake, but now it sounds like Nelson is going to be an option. Any tips on the fishing out there. Plan on going over the 4th of July, so I am sure it will have its share of weekend water skis, jet skis, etc etc....Hopefully the fishing is god. Not lookin to keep anything, just looking to catch...

I bass fish Nelson every couple of weeks all summer. I mainly fish large mouths. When the Mrs comes we do fish with flu flu jigs and waxies and catch lots of pannies you do have to sort thru them but is usually fast action. I have not targeted walleyes there since the 80's. I am on the Eau Claire Chain which I fish for smallies and walleye. Remember Nelson is a flowage with many stumps and floating bogs etc. Know where you are going when blasting around. I fished last 4th there and it got busy 10 am or so. Lots of places to fish where pleasure boaters don't go. Nice lake.

Mwal

Thanks for the info Mwal. I have fished the upper eau claire, and we did catch several bronze backs, and if I remmeber right, just one eye 16". Is it a great eye lake or are the middle and lower better? I was using the regular jig n minnow set up.....

Jarrid,

Upper does not give up its fish easily. Since it is so clear I have my best luck with raps at night. Otherwise you have to fish sunup and sundown. Casting jigs and slip bobbers and minnows and leeches are your best bet. The fish there don't respond well to daytime lindy rigging. Unless you get a horribly windy rainy day then get out there as they will bite. There are a ton of smallies but they also like the low light or fish cribs during the day. Otherwise dropshotting deep water may work.

Middle is of course better at prime times but you can get walleyes at all times of the day or night there seem to be deep fish and weed fish. The weed fish can be caught slip bobbering deep weeds near cribs. Night trolling raps can be productive. Lower has less visibility than middle and I have caught walleyes lindy rigging deep water during the day.

We have had the cabin up there since 1970 so I have fished alot of the area lakes. I used to fish smaller bass panfish lakes also but the drought up there won't allow me to launch queen mary due to low water and sand landings. Some lakes are down 4 foot or more. I hate breaking out the 14 ft and going old school but maybe it's time to try again.

Mwal

try around lake 25 as its called. its one of the deeper spots in the lake at over 30 feet. usually catch some walleyes and crappies in that area, use the depth finder and see whats down there. you will find pike around the shallower spots in the area too. otherwise for walleyes look in the original river channel.

Haven't been on Nelson but I have been out on Grindstone and LCO and both have from 4 to 6 inches. There is spots on both towards the middle that just froze over about 5 days ago where it's thinner but the majority of the lake has good ice. Nelson is shallower and usually freezes over sooner so you should be good to go.

was out on nelson last weekend. was catching a few walleyes and crappies in the shallow northern bays. one eye was 24" and most crappie were in the 7 " to 8" range. caught them all trolling #11 rapala. blue and gold were the hot colors.

Going to Nelson Lake this weekend for first time. Wife and I like casting and just having fun. Anyone fished this lake recently? We will be launching from Gerlachs Landing and not sure if I should go towards the dam or the other side. Any suggestions, tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

fish on nelson last couple days. good action on jig and waxie. kept some 7 to 8 inch blue gills and couple crappie. fish open water between big island and lake 25. there is some solid drifts out there. 16 inches of ice.