• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Devils Lake Hunt - Minnewauken ND

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

This area is jammed with ducks right now. I just came back from a two day hunt there.

Canadiens, Snows, Canvasbacks, Pintail, mallards, sandhill cranes, teal, and especially gadwalls are thick. Even a few diver flocks were buzzing us.

I talked with a few guys who hunted Manitoba the past few years. They said this will be their new duck hunting location.

I would put this area up with the best anywhere in North America.

I stayed at The Spirit Water Inn and was taken out by guide Tim Johnson.

You should watch Tim call the geese in. What a site as you watch them circling around and finally deciding to come in for a landing.

If you're looking for a quality hunt, click the Spirit Water Inn link above and ask Steve Chase about getting out with Tim Johnson.

You will be very happy you did. They can set-up everything for you. Bring your gun, dog (if you want), and camo. That's all you need. You can bring more if you like. But they will take care of everything else.

I give it a 5 star rating at 3 star pricing.

They book fast right now, so don't wait too long. They are booked solid for the next week.
Duck Hunts at The Spirit Water Inn - Click here.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-06-2003).]

I did forget to add that we hunted under bluebird skies and calm winds. Most ducks were feeding in the fields. Yet we had huge flocks to work over the water anyway.

The ducks were thick. We videotaped some of it, but that won't be available for a while.

We do have a few pictures you can see at:
http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=paquinm&p=videoguy&AID=1075427

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-06-2003).]

Hi Jeremy,
I think it's fixed now.

Click the thumbnails for bigger pics.

The boys had limits of Ducks and geese after 2 1/2 hours of shooting (and missing smile.gif )

I still can't believe how good that hunt was. If you have a client who likes to hunt, get a trip set-up with the Spirit Water Inn.

Ask for Steve Chase and let him know what you need. He can take care of all the details for you.

From lodging, to a guide. to meals, everything is top notch if that's what you want. He can make arrangements for those who want less as well.

I'm still amazed at the duck hunt we had. It was awesome. The lodging was 1st class as well. The Frank Lloyd Wright house is a one of a kind opportunity as well. Heck, bring the wife or girlfriend, she'll love the accomodations there.

Rick

Was this your first trip to ND? I found the hunting to be good, but pretty average compared to previous years. We had previous hunts where 5 guys had their birds in under 45 minutes.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-09-2003).]

I'll have to second that on the accomodations and the guide services. You'll never meet better people and the accomodations are top notch. I'd like to personally thank Steve and Tim for providing us with a great time

IM4DUX,
this hunt could have been over for a dozen guys in less than 15 minutes. But why rush a good thing.

However, I will agree that it was an average hunt and just an average duck year for ND.

Imagine a good duck numbers year.

I'm telling you guys...don't wait, get a hold of Steve Chase at "The Spirit Water Inn".

http://TheSpiritWaterInn.com

Here's an updated duck hunting report from someone who hunts almost daily in the Minnewaukan area.

On the opening weekend we had a tremendous amount of hunters and a lot of pressure on the wetlands that now have 50% less water. Add to that 60 to 75 degree weather and that equates to very poor duck hunting.

The great majority of local ducks were pushed out. No migrants have arrived. The birds left are making one feeding movement per day instead of the two they normally do.

Pressure on the water from those who are staying out all day to get shovelers, gadwalls and teal has really served to push the mallards out of the area to where I don't know. I would be in favor of limiting the hours.

I drive close to 75 miles a night scouting and have not seen but maybe one or two fields where they are feeding in any huntable numbers. I haven't pulled a trigger on a mallard for several days.

Until the weather changes in Canada you cannot expect to have the glorious mallard hunt that some on this thread are hoping for.

I am a guide and a board member on the local tourism board so I am not posting this to keep you away. We just need to get realistic as to what the conditions are at the moment or have been since the opening weekend has passed. It is hunting after all and you can never take anything for granted.

I feel it is better to know the conditions as they are and be pleasantly surprised if things have changed when you get here. I do know that however bad it is where you are duck hunting wise, it is still many times better here. That's what you tell me anyway!!!!

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

I can tell you for a fact that the duck hunting and duck numbers in your area are phenominal Kevin.

I saw thousands in numerous ponds from 45 miles into ND to 45 miles to the SW of Devils lake.

We had hundreds of Ducks decoying in on us and at was well after opening weekend.

We're not allowed up there that weekend because many in ND don't want Non-residents up there.

I'll definitely take what I see with my own eyes to the bank. Wouldn't you Kevin???

It was great having Rick, Matt, and his fishing/hunting buddies up here recently. We enjoyed putting on the dog for them. If you want folks to help you make the most of your opportunities this is the place to be. Just this last week we hosted a father and son outing for Gerald and Brent Bigler. They too had a great time. The weather is indeed balmy...warm and calm and there aren't many northern birds down yet. Nonethelless, the Biglers found some nearby points to enjoy the fellowship of family and get all the birds they wanted. They were excited to see such variety. Their shoot included red heads, bluebills, mallards, pintail, canvasbacks, gadwalls, buffleheads, canada geese and widgeons. We enjoyed some excellent suppers together and they left this morning with ducks to take home. As the weather begins to turn and the northern birds move in, more opportunities will be in front of us, and the longer autumn may provide waterfowl hunting into November. Do hope to see you soon www.thespiritwaterinn.com 1-877-305-1528.

PS Someone left a big bag of fishing tackle in the driveway of our resort recently. Please call to identify and we'll gladly return it. Kudos to Ron, my handyman for having the integreity to urn it in to our office. If it goes uncalimed, I'll give it to him. Clean shots and tight lines!! Steve

------------------
SpiritWaterSteve
The Spirit Water Inn
Box 68
Minnewaukan, ND 58351
Reservations Toll Free: (877) 305-1528

Since the opening weekend where all the hunters including non-residents could hunt...Saturday October 5 I think... the birds have by-and-large left the area with the exception of the divers on Devils Lake wich stay until the lake freezes up. Yes there still are puddlers around but in far less numbers.

Today is Wednesday October 2, 17 days past that weekend. With two times the hunters the weekend of the 5th and the extremely warm temps we no lnger have the mallards we normally are accustmed to seeing.

The classic North Dakota mallard shoot is very rare or almost non-existant in the greater Devils Lake area which includes the Rugby, Leeds, Cando, Minnewaukan areas.

I talked with a group of hunters from Ohio who shot only shot a Canada and a Snow. They had the greatest time. I talked with a group from Wisconin who had only shot shovelers and gadwalls and were disappointed as heck. Local diehards are getting some mallards but you better hit your shots. You might get 3 or 4 small flocks to come in the AM. Most aren't going out again until Canada gets a cold snap. Is the glass half full or half empty?