• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip and Tricks for Ice Fishing....why didn't I think of that sooner!!!

FrontenacPike

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always set my 20# LP tank on a plastic bag (the type from the grocery store, etc.). This keeps the bottom of the tank from getting full of snow. In addition I always have a trash bag when I leave the lake.

I put my 20pounder in an old plastic milk crate. It keeps the snow off, and when I throw it back in the otter sled, I do not have to worry about it falling over or rolling around when I am pulling it off the lake.

ALL-IN

This is not really a tip ot trick... but I have an otter lodge and I bought one of those trays that clam sells from Cabels, it was like 14 bucks... but I am all about keeping things organized, and that works great in the otter, keeps my stuff right there next to me, all organized and off the ice. SMART, cheap purchase that has worked for me!

ALL-IN

I put my 20pounder in an old plastic milk crate. It keeps the snow off, and when I throw it back in the otter sled, I do not have to worry about it falling over or rolling around when I am pulling it off the lake.

ALL-IN

Got this trick from my dad also and it works with my small tank also, believe it's an 11lb but says 12.9lb on the side of the tank so I'm not sure. Either case it's same size as 20lb just shorter so it fits perfect in the milk crate also. Good thing Dad has worked his entire life in the dairy/bottling industry we always had milk crates around.... starting to run a little low these days I'll have to hit him up to grab a couple next time he is working in a dairy.

TIP #1 I could never securely attach my hooks to my tip-ups in storage. I bought industrial strength velcro and attached it to my tip-ups. Stick the hook in in between the velcro and you have a cheap way to secure your hooks.

TIP #2 Could use this else where but have a guy I fish with who attached a flip up style boat seat to the back of his ATV so its easier to bring a frind...DNR even stopped him with his kid on back and gave him the OK.

Save yourself alot of money: Go to your local walmart or pet store and buy an aquarium bubbler. At the end of the day of fishing put the bubbler in your minnow bucket. Not only will it give your minnows O2 it will keep them much more lively. Another bonus if you are like me and have to keep your minnows in the garadge, the bubbles keep it from freezing. My $10 bubbler has saved me time and more importantly alot of mooola.

To keep extra auger fuel handy and spill proof I use a MSR fuel bottle. Most sporting goods places carry them. The top screws on securely and I've NEVER had it leak and you don't have to worry about it tipping over like a normal gas can. It will hold about a tank and a half of gas and takes up just a touch more space than a bottle of soda.

Crushed egg shells, whole corn etc. are used when spearing. They are dropped down the hole to light up the bottom making it easier to see fish in water that is not clear. Light colored objects on the lake bottom do reflect light. I hope that someone would not use crushed light bulbs. This was my reason for asking.

if you dont have room for a bucket for your catch of the day do yourself a favor and go buy a ice well. they work great and they dont take up much space.

If your tight on budget and need reel weeds go to your local craft store and buy your weeds there and tie them up on 2x4's and add your own personal touches.

Truck keys go into a zippered pocket before I'm out of the truck, and that pocket holds the keys and the keys only, it stays zippered until I get back to the truck after an outing.

This is a good one. In my AA suit I have a pocket designated for ONLY my cell phone, another ONLY for my GPS, and another for ONLY my headlamp, and a 4th for ONLY my keys. This keeps me (in theory) from fumbling around looking for various fishing accessories in those pockets and accidentally dropping any of those 4 things down the hole since I would never put a bobber, pliers, etc in any of those 4 pockets. Knock on wood, it has worked for me so far.

Use one of those foam stadium seat (butt warmer) to place under the buddy heater instead if directly on the ice. This keeps the 1 lb propane tank off the ice so that it will use all the propane. If you leave it on the ice the flame will go out long before all the propane is used up cause the tank freezes.

Truck keys go into a zippered pocket before I'm out of the truck, and that pocket holds the keys and the keys only, it stays zippered until I get back to the truck after an outing.

Ah-HAAAA, Duff, I bet you do that because of a "bad experience!"

Have been out a few times, but not to lake X yet. Not much action around there from what I hear.

Jeff

Go to your local hardware store and pick up some 1" spring clamps, they work great for attaching to your poles in your flip over to make rod holders.

The fishing rods balance in there sweet and you can move them all around to accomadate multiple rods and set them to have the tips directly over the holes, works good even with spring bobbers.

Mark