• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Devils Lake special shore liscense?

My neighbor was fishing devils from shore and got a $100 ticket by an indian conservation officer and said that North Dakota liscence was not good enough for fishing from shore that he needed a special reservation liscence. My neighbor told the guy that there are no sighs posted anywhere in the area about this. The guy said it doesn't matter and issued him the ticket. This sounds kind of fishy to me. Maybe there are rules on devils that I'm unaware of.

Yea there are some roads that are the reservations property. The best thing to do if your unaware of what roads are the states property then you can buy a Tribal license for 14.00 or fish from a boat and dont worry about it.

If you are ever stopped by a Tribal Conservation Officer for anything, Request that a ND Game and Fish, Sherif or Highway Patrol come and assist. If you are ticketed simply don't pay it. From time to time Tribal Cons Officers over step their authority. You do not need a tribal liscense. The highways are state owned on the Rez that afford fishable water on Devils Lake.

Thanks Kevin, I'll tell my neighbor. But how much trouble can he get into if he doesn't pay it? I guess the best thing for him to do is talk to a game and fish officer about the subject.

Does not matter, even though the indians dont pay for the roads and dont pay taxes we still ahve to abide by tribe regs... they cant get drunk and kill a non tribesman and get a slap on the hand by the tribe, but just you wait until a non tribe person commits a "crime" on tribe ground.

Depending on the jurisdiction, the tribe can have a warrant issued and this would reciprocate to the otehr local jurisdictions. You are taking a chance unless you talk to an attorney about it first. It would suck to not pay it then get hauled in by some other jurisdiction that does have reciprocity...

Tribal officers have always had it out for non indian people, they take perverse pleasure in enforcing laws discriminatly against non indian people. This may sound racist, but its not, its the truth. Where I used to live in North Dakota (Minot) the courts ROUTINLEY turned DWI's and other crimes (shoplifting, etc...) over to teh tribes even though the crimes were commited on non-tribe land.

This was a real problem as of about 6 years ago... I hope its gotten better...

I dont normally post here, so if anyone has any further questions or comments please email to [email protected]

Good luck, and dont ignore the tribal police because they can and will stick it to you in non-tribal courts (extridition to the tribal jurisdiction).

Wally