• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ok, What is a good Devils Lake perch?

I consider an average Devils Lake perch to be .75 to 1.25 pounds. Thats what I hope for. Do they get bigger? Hell yes!

Once they get over 1.25 pounds they are an old fish and just about ruin a fillet knife. A perch over 1.5 pounds is considered a trophy. That is a big perch!

We have had an excellent hatch the last two years and many that are two small by Devils Lake standards to keep right now.

I personally like the 8 to 12 inchers to eat.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

You hit on a good point Kevin.

Harvest should be not too selective, more Representative. Too many folks shoot for only the sumo perch and apply too much pressure to that year class. This often will tear up a fishery.

I like to take a Representative group to harvest, a few of these, a few of them, eaters of all sizes. As in almost any species the sumo's are not all that good on the table, why over-harvest them.

Selective harvest to insure a future fishery, that should be our joint goal.

ed-logo.jpg

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-26-2003).]