• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

showdown fish finder?

bgreen82

They are not very popular, but a nice unit. I have one (and other brands also). I really love it. I've had problems in the past with seeing small jigs and noise. But I sent it in for the new 5.6 software upgrade and that is suppose to help. I'm trying it out today. If it solved those problems I will be using it alot more. Like you, I like the vertical display and color is not that important when it comes to marking fish. GOOD UNIT.

I absolutely love mine. Battery life is great, it sees everything and it really makes sense to have a vertical view of the water column. I used it at the Ice Fishing Extravaganza with 10,000 other people around and had ZERO issue with noise and interference as well. I run mine in the house nest to my dad's FL-20 and I get no noise and see just as well, if not better than he does and my battery lasts much longer on a single charge. The small footprint is nice as well. Takes up little room in the sled and the portable.

I don't own one, but just checked out their web site. I like the silent (no spinning motor) operation, the vertical display, much longer battery life, the much smaller footprint, and most of all, the much smaller price tag at just over half the price of my LX-5.

I do not have a Flasher. but SOMEDAY you know how that goes.

I dont really understand all the other ones spinning around in a circle. but thats just ME. I thought about the Humming Bird models since it shows you the dept but it still spins..so that leaves me Showdown and i have heard some good reviews on it so that would be the one for ME.

hey just wondeing if anyone knows if scheels carries the showdown? its says there a dealer on the show down HSOforum but it also says the sportsman warehouse is too but i talked to them today and they no longer carry them. i have a fl-20 but looking to get another so when im fishing with a friend they can have there own and not ask me to use it all the time haha plus the $280 is better then $500+

Love my Showdown. I did get the latest upgrade, and that helps. Still, it was my primary hardwater fishfinder last season...before the upgrade.

I have a Marcum Lx-3tc and the only time that the Marcum visits the hardwater is if I have a guest along (I let them use the Showdown because it is far more intuitive...and a better "flasher" as well..imo.)

Battery life is nice; especially for those long weekends away from a convenient place to charge.

Small footprint is nice as well, but that is both good and bad. Of course the small footprint makes for more room in the shelter, but the Showdown can also be bumped down the "black hole" much easier than other units due to its slim profile; so be careful. There, I warned ya.

Now go out, have fun, and catch some fish.

My stepson has one and it seems to be a pretty nice unit doesnt interfere with my vex that was his first warning that he'd have to fish outside! now I recomend to everyone have a spare fuze with you why the fuze blows I dont know saw it twice last year first time he darn near chucked it down the hole was brand new lol thought I saw tears lol same trip with another guy he had the same thing happen so bring a spare and actually tape it to the battery so it is there I do like the digital read out of depth though I give it a thumbs up!

Having ANY flasher is better than having NO flasher. With that being said i've owned and operated a vex fl-8, marcum vx-1 and vex fl-18, and now am owner of a showdown. ALL GREAT UNITS. By far the best value for the money - SHOWDOWN. Got the 5.6 update (which most of the newer ones come with) and tested it on Saturday. 1 ft zoom intervals - SWEET. More power - SWEET. No interference from fl-20 fishing beside me - SWEET! Battery life like mentioned before is phenomenal and haven't had the fuse issue. I've used it for multispecies from lake trout to smelt and it performs superb. I will give it 9 out of 10 stars. My only complaints are the cheap case and flimsy rubber transducer stopper. Although when I brought it in for the upgrade in Plymouth, they replaced the one that fell down the hole no charge. Customer service was great.

I bought a Showdown this year to use as a "guest" flasher and truth be told my LX-5 has stayed home 2 out of the 4 times out, and last night it didn't even get used even though I brought it out. Don't get me wrong the LX-5 is one heck of a flasher but after using the Showdown I have a hard time going back to the LX-5, I don't know what it is they both work great, I just prefer the Showdown right now, maybe it's because it's new and different.

I wish Marcum would make a new case for it more like their other cases but then I'm sure the price would go up, but for the price on them I'm surprised it even comes with a case!

I purchased one last year and it worked great. This year, I am having problems. Tried it twice this weekend and it shows everything as 2.8 or 3 feet deep no matter the depth of the water.

The button to adjust sensitivity also is not working. I emailed customer service today and hope to talk with them Monday.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks.

bcoleman

Just got a version 5.6 to try out.. It's fairly simple to operate and at it's low retail price is attractive. I will be carrying it as a back-up to my LX-5 but am looking forward to putting it through the paces. Question for you guys that have fished with it... Do you tuck in the front velcro cover on the softpack back behind the powerhead or pull it completely through the handle on top? What works for ya?

The sliding transducer bracket is a bit snug for my liking.

I do like that their is a storage mesh pocket inside the soft pack to transport transducer without damaging it. I think an outside mesh pocket would also benefit the softpack also the small foot print is nice too.

I originally started fishing with an Eagle Fish Fish I.D. 128 set-up on a Genz box with Johnny Ray swivel and the bubble level affixed on top of the transducer with a bead of caulk. It was cool at the time but deftly slow in the cold..

The Showdown has a heated element for colder temps that I believe you activate by depressing the "+" sign" and "-" sign simultaneously, if needed...

I usually tuck the front velcro cover through the handle on top that way it stays out of the way when I move from hole to hole.

I agree that the transducer bracket is rather snug since I did happen to break it and now am using it with out until I break down and replace it.

The only thing that I have not done yet is to send it in to get the 5.6 upgrade. Is it worth the $50 and 2 week wait to get it upgraded? What are the differences? I do plan on doing it sometime I just am curious if it really is worth it... What are your thoughts?

honda guy - I guess you would be a better judge of how happy you are with it since you have history of fishing the unit prior to the upgrades but I would venture to say that MarCum engineering improved the unit in regards to zoom and i.r. with the latest upgrade. Customer service worth it's weight listens to feedback from consumers. I think theirs a niche for it at it's entry level price point although the early history seemed pretty rough out of the gate but I see this unit gaining popularity as another low cost option to enjoy ice fishing. Of course one of the biggest tests for me is fishing with it in and outside the shack and how visible those little gray lines are with my bad eyes but as far as LCD's go other than my old eagle that is the only thing I could truly compare it to, not really fair but that's pretty much all the history I have with the LCD screens for ice fishing. That old eagle unit was only $150 at the time completely set up for ice and for a first unit it was pretty popular along with Vexes at the time in central NY.