• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Report

Fishing is improving daily. Northerns continue to be hot casting into the shallows with shad raps.

Walleyes are beginning to establish familiar late spring patterns and haunting the regular places. You can catch walleyes on casted cranks and jigs, trolling cranks, bottom bouncing plain hooks or spinners, vertical jig/leeches and slipbobbers with leeches. They still are shallow.. 10 feet and in. They aren't jumping into the boat, you still have to work for them but enough are going to catch your interest.

White bass are starting to go also. We caught several in Creel Bay. They were spread out over a shallow flat but seemed poised to go big time.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

Fishing is very good for all species right now. Some days it is a time-of-day bite where they turn on for brief periods and just go wild. Be ready!

Pike are extremely aggressive shallow and susceptable to crank baits both trolled and thrown. Shorefisherman are killing em.

Walleyes are going extremly well in a variety of places and types of structure. Trees with slip bobbers/leeches, cranks pitched and trolled into the windy shoreline all work. Choose your presentation based on location and the wind conditions. I haven't used crawlers yet. The water temp is still just a little above 60. Size wise I've done real well with several over 25 inches and dozens over 20 inches this week. Smaller walleyes can come by the dozens on one spot in a short time.

White bass are going good in Creel and Six Miles bays. With the runoff they might just get really nuts very quickly. Fish along the roads throughout the system for white bass action.

Severe weather has hampered access the past few days with this area seeing 5 inches of rain (at least) and wind over 40mph. The lake level will be rising the next few weeks as runoff enters the lake. Bring your mud boots.

------------------
Minnewaukan ND

[This message has been edited by kevin neve (edited 06-10-2002).]

I haven't had any time to get a current report posted since I've been fishing what seems non-stop.

The best walleye bite is early AM and late PM. A mid-day bite occurs occasionally. These "bites" can be outstanding. You have to fish em to catch em.

8-12 foot of timber with Wavebuster slipbobbers or vertical jigs tipped with leeches. When the wind blows try trolling shad raps along the windy shoreline rocky points. Don't be afraid to go deep when the wind allows you to fish it.

What and where worked last year does not always go this year. Water temps are still only 60. The wood is further decayed and arranged on the bottom. I have hit the same spots three times a day trying to time the bite.

Water clarity is outstanding, you can see your anchor 8 foot down. That is incredible for DL. The lack of runoff has re-shuffled the deck.

This weekend was a tougher weekend. The wind was down. After fighting the wind for about a week, we all thought that the calm, warmer condition would turn on the fish. The days following the big storms and winds I had very good catches of bigger fish. They were gorged with perch, leeches and shrimp. I thought at that time the fishing might slow down and it did. Those of us who fought the wind actually had very good catches. We boated dozens of walleyes over 21 inches.

We are all having to make adjustments as we go.

------------------
Minnewaukan ND

[This message has been edited by kevin neve (edited 07-29-2002).]

Fishing success has been weather related to a large degree. High winds from the wrong direction will take you off your spots in a hurry.

Walleye fishing has been outstanding this past week. My best fishing has been with slip-bobbers and leeches in 10 foot of water near trees. We took several large fish with jigs fished on a dead rod while slip-bobbering. The best colors if there is such a thing has been lime green. Use colored hooks. Casting #5 shad raps into shallow water near weed beds is excellent at times for walleyes. Trolling on the windy shorelines with #4 suspending shad raps works also. Perch or gold are good colors to start.

------------------
Minnewaukan ND

Fishing is pretty darn good right now. I can't believe there is another place on mother earth where the 8 to 10 o'clock PM bite is better for walleyes.

I'm continuing to use slip bobbers tipped with leeches on a circle or a glow green hook for walleyes. Keep the bobber close to the boat, no long casts please. Some days a jig presented vertically at the boat will out do the bobber rig.

When the wind is up, we are catching walleyes on the windy shoreline. When it is really windy I'm trolling the new #4 shad raps in less than 8 foot. Perch pattern is by far the best. Gold is number 2. Find a weedline and fish it accordingly to depth and openness.

Northerns are still present but not in the incredible numbers they were a month ago.

------------------
Minnewaukan ND

Despite a mid-week lull in the intense action, walleye fishing continues to be excellent.

We are getting a limit of 15-17" ers in a couple of hours each day. The larger fish are more elusive but can be caught if you move around. Using Wavebuster slip bobbers and vertical jigging with leeches still are the best ways to catch fish. Green jigs work the best for me.

The hot locations vary from day to day. Devils Lake still is not given a very dependable bite as far as daily hot spots. Where you got em yesterday may not be where you get em today. The big fish turn on like magic and you can get several over 23 inches in a hurry. The best general spots are still in the trees.

------------------
Minnewaukan ND

[This message has been edited by kevin neve (edited 07-29-2002).]

Fishing conitues to be very good on Devils Lake. Walleyes are being caught anyway you can imagine here on the lake. The varied types of structure and presentation methods needed to fish them coupled with the shear mass of the lake was highlighted during the PWT held here last week. If you can imagine a way to fish a lake, it was done last week.

Heavy crowds in the best timber pushed the fish out. Fisherman that ignored the crowds had greater success. Spots I had been relying on are now kaput.

The west bay (Minnwaukan)flats produces the most dependable and numbers of fish, big fish included but the main bay can produce excellent catches if you can locate them but they will be deeper and tend to move up and down structure.

------------------
Minnewaukan ND

Bigger fish are harder to come by as can be expected in late summer. However the smaller fish are attacking crawlers on jigs. I'm getting many more walleyes on crawlers than on leeches now. Jigs are much better than slipbobbers also.

Try hitting deeper humps when the wind allows a vertical presentation with jigs. Switch to a bottom bouncer when the wind picks up. Drifting with spinners is a good tactic now. The golden highway is producing walleyes from time to time. Trolling of the ridgelines in deeper water 12- 16 feet is worth a try to break-up the pace.

------------------
Minnewaukan ND

Walleye fishing continues to be good in the AM and late PM. Jigs tipped with crawlers and leeches are best. Move slow off the wood line and search for small scholls. It will be too snaggy for bouncers or Lindys. You have to stay vertical. Drifting spinners out a little deeper yet is producing also. In other words, the fish are scattered and can be anywhere. A real positive nopte is thast the fish moved back to my usaul summer haunts. It is a day to day thing as far which site goies when. Keep moving, but not to fast. The trolled crankbait bite is not very productive as a rule right now. The golden hifhway can put out nice fish. Use a line-counter reel and the trollers bible to dial in on the correct depth. Slip-bobbers are not going right now, jigs are out doing them 10 - 1.

------------------
Minnewaukan ND

Fishing continues to be good on the West Bay. When the wind lays down, action is excellent when vertical jigging or bottom bouncing the road ditch on the golden highway. The trees are still producing good numbers of fish but you need to move until you find the one with active fish. Vertical jig and/or bottom bounce plain hooks rigged with leeches or crawlers on the deep water edges of tree lines is a good bet also. The faster the drop the better action since you can work an area more thoroughly.

------------------
Minnewaukan ND

I've been vertical jigging trees exclusively the past few days. All trees are not the same. You need to find water 13 - 17 feet deep. Tree on points or wooded points are best. Multiple stemmed trees are better also. One tree in a clump will hold all of the fish. Which one do you hit first? Drop a green, green/chartreuse or silver down with either a crawler or leech. If you do not have a hit in a minute or two MOVE. If you catch small fish and want bigger ones MOVE. Hit 12 to 20 spots a day until you find the right trees. More than likely trees you catch fish on yesterday will not hold fish today. It may be time of day dependent. Do not put out slipbobbers because you want to be mobile. By the time you set out a slipbobber rig to the correct depth, you will know if there are fish below or not with the jigging rods.

------------------
Minnewaukan ND

We are catching lots of walleyes using jigs tipped with half a crawler or leeches. The bite is generaly lighter and you should use the lightest jig possible for the depth, speed and wind conditions. I am fishing 10 - 26 feet deep and catching walleyes in every spot I go. Some days 12-14 inchers rule other days 15-17 inchers rule. It seems everyday we catch a couple over 20 if we keep moving. The late light period is again very hot. A walleye every 2 minutes or so!

------------------
Minnewaukan ND

The fishing action is pretty much the same for the past few weeks. Angler activity is down. Use the same presentations as you have been using, vertical jigs with leeches and crawlers. Keep moving... try deep, try shallow. The point is to try, you will be rewarded.

The water temperature is 65, down 5+ degrees. Heavy rains have created a pretty decent current at the culverts and bridges. It may draw some fish to those areas.

------------------
Minnewaukan ND