• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

All fishing reports are NOT the same

In my humble opinion there are three types of fishing reports. When you read them you need to be savy to as who and why they are writing them. You need to read several of them if you rely on them for information. Remember they are only a tool and always are old and will not be the end all.

First off they all want you to come to the lake but...

A report by guides will not be specific as to locations. They will be more technique specific but wont say go fish Dead Dog Bay by the car body next to that tree with three branches using a paisley jig with tipped with a bumble bee. They need to protect their spots.

A resort will be positive and give you locations. If the fishing bad it was just a temporary thing it will be better when you get here. Somebody always catches fish and they will remember those that do. They are catching fish in Dead Dog Bay in 8 foot of water. They want you come, stay and come, stay again.

A baitshop will also you tell you what the "hot" lure is. It is part of their business to sell you bait and other assorted fishing stuff. Good bait shops will not steer you wrong just to sell you more dump that you have too much of already. They want you to come back to them and get your bait, pop, beer, chips and ice.

As far as my reports go...I tend not to overhype and glorify things. That is just me. I have high expectations on the water and NEED to catch at least 24 fish a day to be happy. wink.gif Most guides get pumped regularily for info and get savy in giving out any. I'll give you presentation techniques that are working for me, the depth, types of cover general locations on the lake but won't give you exact spots... people have to pay me for that. grin.gif

What is your opinion on fishing reports?

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

Kevin
There is a fourth type of report that is not relied upon as much as the three you mentioned, but is gaining in popularity.There is a growing number of nonprofessional fisherpeople who post to forums like this one on the internet, and a larger number of people who check those forums for current information at their favorite fishing holes. On any given day on the water, someone will catch fish. The internet is making it much easier for us weekend warriors to determine how many "average" Joes are catching fish at a certain time of year on a given body of water. I think that seeing ten different people posting they had a great day of fishing at different spots in the same body of water would be much more of factor in deciding where to spend the weekend than calling a local baitshop, resort, of guide. My apologies to guides such as yourself who do give accurate, honest information even though it may cost you a few bucks. People like myself who only fish for the love of it, are more than willing to tell our friends and coworkers how the fishing was. If the fishing was good, we'll tell whoever will listen where, when, and how the fish were caught. If the fishing was poor, we'll tell them that too. Now, with the internet becoming such an integral part of our lives, we can share our stories with so many more people. I believe the net is fast becoming the best place to get information on when and where to go fishing.

Fish on gotta go.
JON

Isn't it remarkable how few folks ever get skunked?

I've spend hours on top walleye waters with many of the top professionals on the walleye trail without so much as a tap. Then other times we can keep them off.

I just find it strange that so few seem willing to acknowledge a skunk outing.

Ego drives a lot of people these days. With all the websites devoted to fishing, the average fisherman has lot of oppurtunity to brag up or tear down any given lake, lodge, guide service or community... anything really that they so desire. Some HSOforum posts are notorious for fabricating and spreading lies both pro and con with many differnt motivations surrounding any particular posting. Some folks like Clayton said never get skunked and we all have friends like that don't we grin.gif( by the way, I have a soft spot in my heart for guys who post using their own name. Accountability) I'll come clean , I'm really a 12 year old girl who has never fished. grin.gif

I guess what I'm trying to say in my own twisted tounge-in-cheek way is that anybody can say anything on the world wide web.
HOWEVER....I/We trust all fishingminnesota.comers who post on the Devils Lake forum. If you see me driving around the area or fishing in the area wave me over. I need all the help I can get in finding fish. What they biting on anyway?

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

[This message has been edited by kevin neve (edited 05-23-2002).]

I appreciate the fact that some folks "always" catch fish. My point was that ten people posting they caught fish holds as much weight as a bait shop, resort, or guide. Most of the reports I read say if the fishing is slow, spotty, or excellent. When I read posts from different areas, I'm not looking for how Joe Fishgod caught 75 fish in twenty minutes. I read further. I think even though few who post ever get skunked, they will tell you that the fishing was poor. I understand that people aren't going to be totally honest, but I also don't believe that they all stretch the truth so much that reading forums like this one to see if people are catching fish is a waste of my time. Side note: My name is Jon Berns, I live in Greenbush, MN-I'm in the book if you want to call. This spring I was skunked 3 times, twice on the Red in Drayton, and the MN opener below the dam at Lake Bronson. I have also had several days when I caught 2 or 3 fish, and two exceptional days-one on the Red and one at Bronson. My first trip of the season to Devils Lake will be June 8th, if I catch any fish, I'll post a report with pictures. Fish on, gotta go.