• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Not too shabby a day shore fishing

we got to town about 11am or so. got our non resident license and word from ed's that channel A was the spot. so we hit there first. only to loose tackle. not a good start to the day at all. but it gets better. we head out 2 towards the Minnewaken flats. stopped at a couple places and decided to keep lookin. come across a bridge and were in awe of the eyes that were breaking the surface right in front of our eyes. if you had a net you could have had a dozen easily. sometimes solo and sometimes in pairs. that was just incredible. i have never seen anything like that.
then we head down the road and find a dif spot. this time we all went the smelt route. and it paid off. all northerns. of course we had a visit from the ND fish and game so we all had to break out the license's and open the coolers. not a biggy as we were legal. so much less hassle that way. so we each had some under our belt and decide to head down the road again. we hit them again. we limited out on northerns and through back many northerns. no eyes. we tried, but just no luck.

since i have a season license gotta get back out there more often. last summer was a bust. this time it was not.
i am still without words when we drive and drive and drive and still are around the same lake. so much water.

ok done ranting about my good day at Devils Lake

Monty

Glad to hear you had fun. I too have a great time fishing northerns. They are truly prolific here in Devils Lake and often quite large. In order to do my share to keep it that way. I rarely keep more than one or two of the smaller ones to savor at meals and enjoy watching the others swim away to provide fun for the future.

------------------
theChaser

since this was the second trip that way and the first productive trip...i chose to keep my limit. about 99% of the time when i fish it is catch and release. and when i do keep it usually cats and enough for a meal.
and with DL being 3 hours from me one way i will prolly not get there as often as i want to.
the fishing was definitely great. we did think it wierd that the northerns we did land wer all of about the same size. i bet from the largest to the smallest there was less than a pound of difference. pretty wierd since we prolly landed 25+ fish.
hopefully the next time we get some eyes so i can bring me home some of those to eat. other than that no keepers for me. unless of course it is a trophy fish. then i would have to think about it. if nothing else C.P.R. we did get some digcam pics. did not want to take too much time from the fishing though. lol
Monty

Hum... Northerns...the Devil is crawling with them. I fish channel A alot and have always caught them their spring-summer-fall.

If your looking for eyes then I say give it another week or so. As for the temperate bass fisherman, follow the crowd. Find people fishing from shore and you'll almost find bass everytime.

well the eyes were not really heading either way. when they broke the durface they were crossing the stream. they did appear to be heading downstream slightly as they broke the surface though. we were standing on a bridge when we say them. the path that went under the bridge was about 15-20 foot wide. near as i could tell the water varied from about 6' to 8' deep here. this was using the drop weight method and resting it on bottom then reeling to the water surface then holding rod in air.

Monty