• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Salmo Rigs

I used the salmo chubby darter with a dropper rig this last week and had some success.

I used 4lb flourocarbon with a #10 treble below a hot perch. I tipped it with a minnow head and a perch eye. The eye got far more hits. The body was hit by a small walleye once.

They fish real light. Tried several presentations.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

Hi Kevin,
I have found your posts helpful. I too will be heading up to your little pond at the end of the month. Why do all the pictures of the salmo with a dropper rig have both trebles removed? I don't have any trouble leaving them on.

Couldn't get a fish to hit the rig the last few days. I could call them up for look but nothing through the hole. The bite was real light and the weight of the rig might have someting to do me feeling the hits.

I changed to lighter rig and caught fish. I caught even more when I went to a whole minnow vs just a head.

------------------
Minnewaukan ND

Try a longer drop link from the Chubby.

For spooky fish you can go as long as 12" on a plain fine wire TRU TURN hook tipped with larva or a minnow head.

If the perch are glued to the bottom, slide the link across the lake floor and lift very slowly.

Stir some silt up with the Chubby from time to time too, & when you feel ANY extra weight, set the hook.

Butt dragging a Chubby works on tough bites.

------------------
"Ed on the Red"
Backwater Guiding Service
[email protected]
fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red/

Backwater Eddy, I used a longer drop link below a spoon in the past and that made all the difference in the world. I haven't experimented with the Chubby Darters and drop links yet, I might have to give it a try. I've had some success using Chubby Darters on walleye this year though. Keep hauling in the perch! Good Fishing, Matt.

When I have used a drop link of only 3 inches, it seems to get tangled in the body. This was with a Nils, any suggestions?

------------------
Little Skill, Less Luck, but I Try Hard..

The longer dropper for one thing gives a little more swing to the suck. An extra quarter inch that the bait moves with the given effort of the fish can make a lot of difference. I am going to try lighter hooks tommorrow too.

What success I have had on salmos can be attributted to exactly what you have said Eddy...Working it through the school, leaving it above them and puffing the bottom are super techniques.

I also have increased the lenght of my droppers to 6 inches and went one eight ounce lighter on my buckshot rattles. That also improved success.

I heard a rumor that genz worm packed with waxies are getting the finicky ones to go. Something else to try.

------------------
Minnewaukan ND