• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009/2010 Iceleaders ICEMAP! (Thanks Everyone!!!)

Jeremy airjer W

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with how cold its going to be, and i believe the latest projections for south western mn is 1-3, and gusts up to 40mph, im going to go ahead and guess that this "BLIZZARD" that everyone is talking about with do nothing but help build the ice....high of 3 tomorrow...lows in the neg....

perm. shacks by christmas.....I CANT WAIT!

Minneapolis:

Calhoun and Harriet are still open water with some skim ice forming around some edges. Probably a good thing with tomorrows expected 2-4 inches + of snow.

Lake of the Isles is iced over. I spudded out about 50+ feet and had a consistant 2 1/2" +. Probably could have made it out further, but since I don't feel all that safe until 3-4" I just decided to wait. Hopefully the snow from the next couple of days doesn't slow down the ice formation too much.

if we get there early enough to go fishing ill call ya. with the weather down here in s.e. minnesota we may not get there till dark!! where supposed to get 7-16 inchs total sooo ya we might not get to fish until thursday. frown

i did find your number however! will be mostly be tip-up fishing for pike this trip i think do to the ice conditions. but well see..

Cass Master

We've got conditions ranging from some open water up here still on the bigger, deeper lakes to 5-6 inches of ice on the smallest lakes, with everything in between. People have been ice fishing several days now on the little lakes.

There is very little snow on top of most of this ice, though some areas that froze earliest have about six inches on top. We're only forecast to get 1-3 inches of snow tomorrow, with strong winds to blow snow off the ice, and with temps still below zero overnight and single digits to teens during the day, we are continuing to make ice 24-7.

If you are down south and chomping at the bit to get out on the ice, head north next weekend and there'll be plenty of places up here to spank pike, 'eyes and panfish. Mmmmmmmm, fresh fish! gringrin

On Sunday the 6th I drove up 94 to Ashby then up to Dead Lake. I observed the following:

Latoka in Alex: South Lake seemed to be socked in, North Lake still had open water.

Lobster: Looked like it was all covered.

Pelican: Ice covered with a bunch of guys fishing in the narrows. Assume at least 3 inches of ice or else a bunch of Packer Fans.

Eagle: Completely Open. Very deep lake and usually last to freeze up.

Otter Tail: 90 Percent ice covered with just a couple of open spots.

Dead: The small east bay was completely socked in with 3 inches of ice, but no Packer Fans.

I'm heading back up next Monday and will update Dead.

Minneapolis:

Calhoun and Harriet are still open water with some skim ice forming around some edges. Probably a good thing with tomorrows expected 2-4 inches + of snow.

Lake of the Isles is iced over. I spudded out about 50+ feet and had a consistant 2 1/2" +. Probably could have made it out further, but since I don't feel all that safe until 3-4" I just decided to wait. Hopefully the snow from the next couple of days doesn't slow down the ice formation too much.

Good to know someone else is checking. I have high hopes for this weekend, but I'll see if the wind goes down. As soon as the wind stops, those lakes should lock up nicely.

Duluth/Superior area lakes. All the larger lakes are either open or just skimmed over. Small lakes have skim to 4" of ice. Some back bays on larger lakes have a inch or two.

Some folks walking on Wild Rice Lake (Not ME!), a few on the narrows and shallow shorelines of Fish Lake and some fishing on Boulder Lake.

Be very careful, carey a pick set, wear a life vest and have rope to toss to someone in need. Always travel in at least pairs and keep your space. Once we get 6" of ice you can relax these precautions as you see fit.

Central Reports

Most small lakes around Cambridge have a good solid 3+ inches on them now.

I have been seeing good clear strong ice around here.

I was out spearing on 3 inches with a Clam 5600 yesterday.

No ice deflection and no cracking.

I will be out tomorrow and will update you tomorrow night.

That was pretty funny Maverick1951

I just wanted to say thanks to all who contribute to the ice map. I look for it every year. Thanks airjer and contributers and FM!

I have the easy part! I get to copy, paste, light editing, and color on a map!! Who doesn't like coloring!!! ? grin

Thanks for the updates, they are posted!

Spent about two hours checking Carver County area lakes today...got the itch pretty bad!

Also...this is NOT an endorsement of safe ice, just what a fellow fisherman found, usually between 50 and 200 yards from shore. Please check your own ice before travel on the lake!!!

Eagle Lake: 4" clear ice in the area I checked about 200 yards out from the landing.

Hydes Lake: 4" of ice about 100 yards out. I could see an area of chunky ice from the wind about 50 yards out further that I did not check.

Waconia: Checked by the fishing pier. 4" of ice about 50 feet out, once out closer to where the pier is floating about 100 yards from shore there was slushy snow and only about 2"! I stopped by and talked to the great folks at the In Towne Marina and they said they would be doing an official check in the next day or so and would post their results.

Reitz: Slush on top of the ice at the acess, only about 1.5 inches about 20 feet out. Chisel went through with one throw!

Wasserman: 2 inches about 50 feet out from the acess

Bavaria: Still has open water areas, did not check

Parley: Walked out the farthest on Parley. Found almost 6" about 50 feet from shore, and it got thinner the farther I ventured out. I stopped about 300 yards out when the chisel when through with four whacks, about 2.5 inches, but it was frozen slush on top of ice.

PLEASE STAY SAFE OUT THERE! After this week of cold temps, we should have great walkable ice by this time next week.

Glock out...