• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009/2010 Iceleaders ICEMAP! (Thanks Everyone!!!)

Jeremy airjer W

I was out on clear lake today, just south of Forest lake, (my in-laws live on the lake) and I walked out 20 yards or so from the north shore, nice solid 1.5-2" of ice, chipped a couple of holes with my spud bar to check thikness and it was pretty consistant at 1.75" or so, I figure to be fishing on it by Friday without problems.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

checked ice this afternoon south of st. cloud.

pearl completely iced 2in out about 50 yards didn't venture farther. pleasant(stearns county) completely covered 1.5 in ice. its lookin up around here

Sunday report -

Ottertail - east end capped, open water in center section

West Battle - capped, with lots of open spots of various sizes

Clitherall - North end capped, south end open

most smaller lakes are capped, with some still having scattered open spots.

A good part of Minnesota is under a snow advisory tomorrow, with the Cities expecting 4-6" of snow. If you get that much or more in your area, and your waters are already iced over, BE VERY CAREFUL if you go out after the snow. Heavy snow insulates the ice, slowing down new ice development and even causing it to melt. Four inches of snow on top of three inches of new ice can make for treacherous conditions.

Myself, I am hoping that the ponds around Iowa City are still open when the snow gets to SE Iowa. The deep freeze coming after the snow Wednesday night should lock things up nicely, if there isn't up to a foot of snow covering an inch of new ice when it gets cold.

BTW, in the spirit of this thread, I'm in Detroit, Michigan, and staying in Ann Arbor. The small reservoirs and ponds around here are still 90% open, with just a little skim ice around the edges. I'm driving back to Iowa in the morning, which should be a blast.

Forest Lake & Clear Lake

I checked both Forest Lake and Clear Lake today. Clear Lake is completely iced over from what I could see from the West and South Side. Ice was 2 inches thick off the Launch and Shore Pads.

Forest Lake: 1st Lake is all iced over from what I could see driving around it. Only 1 inch thick off the launch. 2nd Lake all iced up and 1.5 - 1.75 inches thick off the launch. 3rd lake launch was all iced up and also 1.5 - 1.75 inches thick. From Timm's Marina, iced up along the shore but looks like open water yet.

Yo thatoneguy,

Im heading up your way on wednesday, i didnt get a chance to hook up with ya last year but we should try to get out on Cass some time this winter. Dont worry i wouldnt tell the wife what ya bought !!!

whats the ice like in your back yard ?

Hey Cass - I haven't been out to check yet, too busy at work. From what I've heard, many of the smaller lakes have 3" or a little more; I haven't heard about Cass or Pike Bay yet, but I'm going to swing by Froggy's on the way home and see what they know. With little to no snow and continued cold temps, I'm thinking I can get out this weekend and give the new Vex a whirl smile

Let's definitely get out there and fish some time this winter!

Central Reports

Took a little drive on the way home.

Blue Lake (West of Isanti) frozen over as far as I could see from the landing. I walked out 10 ft or so but did not sample the ice.

Baxter (West of Isanti) People out fishing. 2 people almost out to the center of the lake. (no one was catching anything though)

Long Lake (Near Isanti) Ice over most of the lake still open in the center.

Lake Francis Still some open or very thin spots but most of the lake is locked up.

thatoneguy, ya sounds good, might be up over new years when i guy can savely be on Cass. ill give ya a call if that trip happens! i think i still have your #. i gotta try out my new humminbird ice-55 on wednesday first!!

Cass Master