• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cool Cats Ice Fishing Gathering

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in on this one fellas!!

In fact, I couldn't wait and went up to the chain on Sunday. It was a pretty tough bite for some reason, the fish were VERY, VERY picky. The bites were subtle. I ended up icing 5 cats, all between 3 1/2-5 pounds. Not too shabby for a rookie catfisherman.

I still don't know why people fish walleyes when you can catch (5) 4 pound cats in an hour & a half. They fight better and taste better too!!! blush.gif

Hopefully I can get my photos up soon. Lots of film left in the camera.

Must be a chemical imbalance or something Hanson in use walleye guys. I am not sure but I must have it. I myself have never gotten a cat yet but was fishing with a buddy on Oahe and he caught 2 when I was fishing with him it sure looked like fun.

hanson-

Well, that sounded like fun! I think I'll have to do some pre-fishing up there myself. I had a "guiding" trip the day after the Medicine event (now I know why I'm not a guide grin.gif), or I would have hit Calhoun.

If you head up there drop a line, like I said, I'd love to get some cats before Cool Cats .

Im planning on making this one as well. Anyone ever use chunks of smelt or scisco for them? For those who are going down on Friday night where are you staying? I may need to find a room close by. 5:30am is early when you come from Duluth.

Dennis, I think I`m not going to be able to make it this year. frown.gif With the weather being so warm I don`t think I could take it.LOL grin.gif For all of you reading this, Dennis and I hit the shoe last year and the day we went a cold front came in 40 below. We did catch fish though.

Bring anything. Last year we had folks that brought brats, venison steaks, pickled fish and of course we fryed up some catfish that were caught that morning.

This year its looking like we are going to have a good sized crowd attending so folks might want to bring a small grill along and maybee some extra picknic type foods or whatever you like to share with other folks. Some friends are keeping a few cats before the event so that we have plenty of fish to fry if the bite isn't on that day. Allthough I have to say, (probably jinxing myself!), I have never been skunked in the area we will be fishing.

I usually just head up and back home that day comming from the south side of the Metro, but St Cloud is no less than 20 minutes and has plenty of hotels for those who want to stay over. I am not sure about any motels in Cold Spring or Richmond??

I spend the weekend at the cabin which is on Rice. Dennis Do you think I need to bring my deep fryer? (will we need 2?) Also I do have a pump for the oil which I will bring. I'm going to be up hopefully a couple times before then and will also get some cats that we can use. Drop me an e-mail about stuff you think we may need.

Hey Dennis,

I must be loosing my mind. I thought I had asked you a question or at least made a post on this thread. I can't seem to find it. I must be loosing my mind. I started a thread about this event in the Duluth forum to see if I could get an interested group of guys to go. Be serious now can anyone tell me if I'm loosing my mind? Did anyone see my post on this thread. I'm going to go fishing my brain is starting to hurt. See ya at cool cats!!!

Take care, shocked.gif

Tom (BD110)

A quick up-date. I found my post on the main Ice fishing forum on the same thread as this. I feel much better know.

It was that photo that hanson had that threw me for a loop.

Gone fishin, grin.gif

Tom (BD110)

Just want everybody to know.... they're still there!

The FishinLogician and I hit Horseshoe on Saturday and had a blast.

The Logician had the hot hand and, landed 5 before I could pull one up the hole.

A great day of fishing. I'll post a couple pics if I can figure out how.

We'll see you all at Cool Cats.

Hey guys, with less than two weeks untill Cool Cats I just wanted to let you know of some of the great door prizes that some of our sponsors have donated.

Jason Boser has donated a bunch of batter mix for the event. We will be frying up some fish in it and giving a bunch away. Getting hungy?

cool.gif

Midwest Rod and Reel has donated a custom ice rod. These rods are awsome and they donated the same one that I prefer to use on the kitties!

I also have a Marcum LXi handheld sonar to give away.

I have some JR's Tackle rod bags as well as gear bags to give away as well as some good lures to use for the kitties.

Scenic Tackle has promised to donate some Go devils. These are my go to baits for icing cats.

Plus I am working on a few other items as well.

I'll update as soon as I get confirmations.

With food fun and fishing, I think this is going to be the best Cool Cats yet!

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I'm hoping my girls will want to come and join in the fun. Ages 11 and 5.

Odds are good they will be tangling with a kitty cat smile.gif

Good to hear yer bringing the girls, Rick. Bring an old putter or used-up broom.

I still have the leftover 'grab-bag' contents from the shore gathering two years ago. I haven't looked in the box in a long, long time but I think it has some TS Jigs, and some misc. tackle donated by The Gateway Store in Kabetogama. I'll bring it with us for distribution.

I'll be there and I'll have along my 12 year old son. He'll be the young man that keeps reaching over and "borrowing" his dads vex "just to see where his lure is"! Doubtful he'll be playing any ice golf as he really hits it pretty serious unless the fishing/catching is down right pathetic---which it never is.

I'm already looking forward to this and Hanson got me going during the weigh-in at the Rush event and that was before he caught his big cat the following day.

I spent two days this past weekend on the chain. The south access onto Horseshoe is in very good condition again. My biggest cat was 26" (I'm guessing around 6 lbs), released back into Horseshoe. Jigging spoons in glow blue were the favorite. Colors change often out there, so bring all colors.