• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cool Cats Ice Fishing Gathering

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, a piece of cut bait on a plain hook under a balanced float or deadstick rod will catch a lot of cats too. I usually work two rods when targting concentrated cats. One is a jigging spoon tipped with a minnow head or pieces of minnow, and the other is either a deadstick rod or float set-up with a piece of cutbait on a plain hook.

I have a few jigging spoons you can use, come find me on Saturday...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

HARDWATER-

Might just want to skip Upper Red & come to Cool Cats. 2nd weekend in a row that I was schooled up there. Unbelievable! This weekend was the toughest bite I've found on Red this winter. I couldn't even mark fish on the flasher.

SA has fatheads crappie and sucker minnows. Central lakes conoco in CS across from Sa carries the same. In Richmond you can't go wrong with Southside bait and gas. They carry crappie,fatheads,suckkerminnows,and shiners. They are also open around 6.00 am on Saturdays.

MM-

Did you say CHILI?? I love chili!!

Heck ya! Bring the little ones and family! This event is all about fun and catching, what has turned out to be, my favorite fish through the ice.

I haven't been out to this spot this year but I would think the perm would be alright. Someone correct me please if it isn't!!!

Catfish, Fun, Family...What could be better!! See everyone there on Saturday.

I plan on being up nice and early Saturday.

Actually the BP in Richmond does NOT have fatheads and shiners. They are all out until the Opener (May).

Was just in their Saturday to pick up bait and had lots of crappie minnows and limited supply of sucker minnows.

I was using pieces of crappie minnows and did real well with these.

Cool Cats, Look out! Here come the Hopper's!

Acually, she just gave the nod thismorning, and im too full of 'IT' right now. grin.gif

She says; "Might be fun to catch a Big, Old, Ugly, Catfish"! LOL grin.gif

See everyone there!

Very cool. One of the originals returns!

Hopefully we won't be siting in 6 inches of water this time! See ya saturday Brian.

I would also like to mention that if anyone wants in on the prize drawing at noon, you have to say hello to me.

Dang - do I have to? tongue.gif I'm always embarrassed shaking my salesman's hands with a guy who grows his own gloves. ooo.gif

I'm sure Erik will wanna say 'Hi', too. Mr. Special & us are riding up together.

Do we bring our own augers or are the holes predrilled? Also, is there a landing on the north end of the lake that we can use or is it too risky? The weather is supposed to be cloudy and near the 40s, so it should be great for catching something smile.gif

I would think that there would be plenty of augers around for you to use if you do not want to bring your own. Heck, you can use mine!

As far as the landing goes, I would recomend that you stick to the landing that Dennis has maped out for us to use on page one of this thread. They work hard to make sure this a safe and enjoyable outing for all of us.

Be safe and hopfully see you on Sat.

I strongley encourage everyone comeing to cool cats to use the winter access on Horseshoe. The public access off of Hwy 22 is located on the main river and the ice conditions vary and are not safe enough to venture up to the gathering with a vehicle. This access would be fine if you plan on useing a snowmobile or ATV to get to the gathering

The winter access is about 2-3 miles S of the public access. It is easy to spot, you can enter Horseshoe on the W side and Cedar Island on the E side. This access will be easy to see. It will have a rd (trail) leading out into Horseshoe and twoards the meth hole. Stay on the trail and don't venture off of it if your unfamiliar with this system. The trail will lead you to hammers point and the meth hole area where the gathering will be held.

As far as holes I will have my auger with if anyone should need one.

Yup, I wouldn't use the public access just south of 23.If your comming out on a wheeler or snomoblie I think you'll be fine but that access is in the river and your taking risks if you drive out from there with a full sized vehicle.

If you don't have an auger, I am sure someone will be more than happy to drill you some holes.

Heck I should have a couple dozen drilled myself.