• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scout Heater?

northernsportman

I would go with the buddy heater, little chance of burning the canvas, good heat output, simple to operate, I bought mine at one of the big box stores this fall for 65 bucks and have seen a lot of them in black friday ads.

oh yeah it has a low oxygen sensor which is a very nice safety feature.

I used a little sunflower heater that costs $20 five years ago. It worked fine just took a while to heat up my pro. Last year I baught a regular buddy heater from my brother and really like how fast it heats my pro.

The new Buddy 4000 is a fine heater, more compact for storage with the new fold down handle, better and stronger pilot flame, a taller ceramic heating surface, improved electric start, new tilt out regulator makes it more convenient...they are $79 at Gander.

I picked up one a couple weeks back and have used it a few times already fall night fishing, and it performs very well and has a wide range of adjustment in heat output.

has a wide range of adjustment in heat output.

Ed, the regular Buddy has 4,000 and 9,000 BTU ranges, right? Is that what you mean by wide range of adjustment, or can you fine tune the dial between the two to make, say, 6,000 BTU output?

I've been looking into getting a Buddy, and wondered if they were only 4-9K, or if you could fine tune a little between the two main settings.

gill man

With good gas pressure you can tune it down to about 2000 and again at the 3000 range...with a more fine tuning on the top end then on the bottom..if that makes any cents to you. If you tank pressure is low you will need to crank it up to keep it up, low pressure will effect it.

I was able to get it down to about 2500 BTU +/- and it wouldn't go out (full tank), and if I got it lower it may flicker out but the pilot light stayed on nice and strong...fired back up once you turn it up again. I think the pilot is far better on the new 4000 Buddy than it was prior.

The tilt kill switch is not as glitchy either. I can pick it up and move it and it will not kill as easily as the prior models did.

I'm preaty pleased with it. Once I get some time on the ice with it I'll report back if anything pops up...looks good to me.

I didn't so far, and I do not believe I will require one. The pilot light is very strong on this new Buddy 4000 model, at least it appears to me to be stronger.

With all the comments and concerns over the pilot light I did some tests of sort, to see if it would blow our easily in use. I placed it directly in front of a furnace vent and it stayed lit, and I also set it on the deck in some gusty winds (back of the heater to the wind) and it behaved well This fall in the field using it out fishing in an open air situation the pilot stayed lit...so for now I'm not too concerned with the pilot light. If it does give me problems down the line I may rig up a breeze guard..time will tell I guess?

I do plan to run a filter on any bulk hose's I may use as to head off any concerns with buggering up my regulator and pilot light internal system...just in case.

Thanks for the reply Ed. Nice that you can tune the BTU's a little! I fish out of a Trap Guide. I think the 4,000 setting is just about right. I have a sunflower style heater now, and at low (8,000 BTU's), I usually get COOKED in there. Always trying to turn it down, and I figured about half that heat would be perfect. Even the Regular Buddy goes to 9,000, and that's always been more than enough in my shack.

If it's really cold, I'll still have the old Sunflower to fall back on if I need it.

gill man