• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Important info on Zumbro - S. Mn LETS

Being that most of us in the S. MN. LETS are a long way from Rochester I thought I'd put up some camping info. Be forwarned we landed our tournament on a very busy weekend in Rochester. So if you are thinking of camping fri night it would be wise to get your reservations in now!
Here is some info relayed to me from my partner for this event, Uncle Grump. Thanks U.G..
Important camping info:

Ponderosa Campground
507-843-3611

They do have overnight sites, they are $27.15 w/ water and electric, and they
take reservations.
There is a dump station.

Mac's Park Place (just down the road from Ponderosa - river side of the Zumbro
Dam)
507-843-6500

Mac's has camping sites, and said that the Gold Rush doesn't get them as badly.
Sites w/
water and electric are $21.30 w/ tax. They have a bar/resturant (food, drinks,
pool tables, etc).
They also have a dump station.

Macs is located about 1/4 mile off Wabasha 21 on a gravel road. The lady said
its about 2 miles
from their place to the DNR ramp. The lady asked for the event name - ie So. Mn
LETS - so she
might attempt to put people in the same area.
Watch for more info on Zumbro. I will be using this thread to post any news that comes my way.
BTW We will be using the Ponderosa access.
Also watch for some info on Zumbro from Crappie Tom. He will post when we get a little closer to the Zumbro event. Thanks Tom

[This message has been edited by LuckyFish (edited 07-21-2004).]

More info from the ever vigilant Uncle Grump:The bad news.....

The weekend of 8/20/21/22 is Oronoco Gold Rush Days, and there is a National
Moto-Cross race
in Millville Mn (in the area). Both of these events are HUGE - mega-traffic!!!
The lady at the Ponderosa isn't
sure if she will have ANY campsites available, as they get alot of repeats
every year. Motels in the area also fill
up. There is also an event called Gold Rush Days in Rochester the same weekend
(a spin off / competitor), and
this also causes extra traffic between Rochester and Oronoco.

This also means traffic in the area, espec. the intersection of Hwy 52 &
Olmsted Cty 12 (a bad one at
any time) is going to be very dangerous - espec. trying to get back on 52 from
12 and pulling a boat, etc.

The lady at the Ponderosa recommends coming in from the N.

Take Hwy 52 to St.Hwy 60 (Mazeppa exit), take 60 into Mazeppa and then on to
the intersection w/ Wabasha
Cty 7. Take a R on to 7, then take 7 S to Cty 21. R on to 21, take 21 to Cty
90. L on 90 in to the DNR ramp / Ponderosa.

From the south....

From Oronoco, (intersection of Hwy 52 and Olmsted Cty 12), go E on 12, thru
Oronoco, up a hill, for about
1 mile, then look for Cty 27 (also called Power Dam Rd). Take a left (N) on to
27/PDR, follow it in to Wabasha
Cty, where it turns in to Wabasha Cty 21. Stay on 21, until you get to Wabasha
Cty 90, then make a R.

The county / township roads in this area are narrow, winding and hilly. Watch
your speed - and be watchful for Bambi's.

Because of the Gold Rush, etc, I would suggest getting reservations in ASAP.
Thanks again U.G..

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

Geez Lucky.....

Those two posts read as if I had written them - plumb amazing - the writing style you have. LOL! smile.gifsmile.gif

Just to follow up:

I called Mac's Park Place a couple of moments ago, and spoke to Howard, the owner (along w/ his wife Jan). I registered the name "So. MN LETS" w/ him as the group name - use this so they know which group.

Most of their sites are filled by seasonal users, they only have 8-10 overnight sites available, so get those reservations in early - by next Friday would be ideal.

I also left my name and phone number w/ them, so they do have a way of getting back in touch w/ us (S MN Lets) if needed. I will be in contact w/ Lucky and/or will post back here if anything comes up.

UG

Red_Ball
FishingMN.com Family
posted 07-25-2004 02:45 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I talked to the peaple at Ponderosa campground yesterday. Thay may have an opening for tent camping. She said we could put our tent up on one site but each tent would have to pay the Gold Rush weekend rate of $25.49 + tax. Thay will get back to me around next Friday. Oh yea she showed some consern about noise after 10 pm. and drinking.
Mac's park place is about 2-3 miles north on cty 90. I did not talk to them.

Lake Zumbro is a pretty Lake. From the landing you look over the top of the dam. The top half of the lake is mostly 20'+ deep, with steep drop offs and sharp rocks along the banks. The lower half is shallow with sand bottom.

Crappietom, I heard there are 20lb+ Pike in Lake Zumbro and they are now stocking Muskie. What do you know of this.

The bad side of the lake for fishing is Massive power boat going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, up and down, up and down, the lake. a slaloms course for water skis and I did see an old tire floating in the lake.

I sure hope they don't have water sports for Gold rush Weedend!

IP: Logged

CrappieTom
FishingMN Pro Staff
posted 07-25-2004 05:25 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gold Rush is an event in Oronoco....lots of traffic that weekend! That slalom skier has to get in check with the world....I'd enjoy nothing more than to see all the waterski club and that slalom course pulled off the lake. That solitary ski dude really doesn't hurt the fishing much other than boat control....fish seem not to mind the dork. The water at hand is very deep and sort of muffles the noise from that boat. Now if we could figure out how to muffle him.....
Indeed there are both muskies and northerns in this lake. My largest muskie in the boat has been 37 inches. My largest northern would go about 18 pounds, but I have seen larger of both species pass at baits or hooked fish and on hooks but lost at the boat.

There is water there that will hold some very dynamic smallies and largemouths are about everywhere. Catfish will be wherever you find the crappies and they can run into the teens for weight....very testy fish!

The split between deep water and the shallower bays will offer up some very fun fishing. The keys here will be knowledge of your fish in deep stained water and patience patience, patience along with some persistance.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
Catch-n Tackle
[email protected]

Her's some good info from Red_Ball and Crappie Tom!

------------------

I went to Zumbro today. I talked to the lady at Mac's they will have room and the cost was 21.50. Thanks for the info Tom. With almost everyone in the Southern LETS new to Zumbro this should be an interesting tourny!

------------------

------------------

Hi to all the Lake Zumbro entrants.

Since I have some firsthand knowledge of this lake, I'll throw in my two cents worth.

The Zumbro has a nice mix of deep to shallow waters.By putting in at the Pondersoa ramp, you will be placing yourselves with close proximity to the better fishing waters at this time of year. The absolute best angling will come from areas where extremely steep shoreline drops quickly into the water. There will be areas where , by being only ten feet from shore, you will be in twenty feet of water or more.In waters such as these, you will find everything from smallies, crappies, sunnies, cats, notherns and the elusive muskie. Areas further south where the waters are shallower and have a less aggressive drop will provide largemouth bass, cats, some northerns,but few if and muskies. Random pockets of panfish and crappies will also be found in these areas, but be mindful to stay in touch with the deepest water in the immediate area.

If I were fishing this tournament, I'd not target anything outside of crappies! You will get sunfish of very nice size, smallmouth bass, catfish and the toothies all by simply fishing crappies. Plastics would be an absolute to have along...bait for those who lean on it. A mix of small to medium minnows and maybe waxies will do for bait needs, BUT be darned sure to bring bait along! You will not want to have to go back to Oronoco to the BP to get bait with the festivities there going on. Trust me on this one.

Plan on water activities. Sking and jetheads will be your daylong companions. Very heavy tackle is recommended for those who infringe on your space grin.gif. Replace smaller hooks with much larger ones in order to get the point across....pun intended.lol.

Good electronics really will help to locate the fish. As of a week ago the crappies were hanging at about six feet over deep water....14 foot minimum. The surface temp then was at 74 degrees. I have a guide job there on the 12th of August and will post the results here that evening so everything is a bit more up to date. By the time of this tourey, we will likely have had more very warm weather and if so, a thermocline will be set and that should help simplify the fishing a bit. At any rate, I'll repost on the 12th..

------------------

Catch-n Tackle
[email protected]

Beef....If you come straight into Rochester on hiway 63 (about 3 miles east of the lake and then turn right, or south)you can get one at the wild goose sports. The store is right on N. Broadway (hiway 63), across from the Mac and Dons. You need to look for the lake to your left, river to your right when you get in town. After you cross the bridge, it is about a block on the right. If you get back to me pronto with your address, I can put one in the mail yet today and you should have it Friday. Click on the TSJigs below and send me the info.

------------------

Catch-n Tackle
[email protected]

Something else to think about if you intend to eat while there....Fisherman's Inn has absolutely the best food on the lake with prices that are reasonable. Plus the have a full bar for whistle wetting needs. I have eaten at all four of the dining places on the lake and Fisherman's gets my nod hands down.

talked to the people at Mac's and they said we could all stay on one site also so it looks like we need to decide what place we want to stay at and put a call in there. anyone been fishing there yet? howd ya do?

I had hoped to get out there last week at least once, but the idea did not come about. I am hoping again to get out this week once, and if I do will toss a report here. Weds. looks to be about the best day for me, so look here about that evening. I have a guide job on 8-12 there and will post results..a little closer to your date and more accurate as far as a solid fishing forcast goes.

------------------

Catch-n Tackle
[email protected]

Marc I'm up in the air as to where I'll be staying. I'd like to see us all stay in one place, for BSing and such the night before. I have a heck of an offer from my partner to stay at his place, but if a number of us are going to camp that would be fun also! You go ahead and book so you have a place. I was thinking of Macs but anywhere would be fine. As for fishing I've made it once did get a nice bucket and a 12" smallie. Next time over I'll be checking out the craps and pike.

------------------

Hey trout sorry to hear your partner couldn't make it. Your boat ought to be just fine on Zumbro. All you really need is a partner right? Email me I may have a couple of options.

------------------

Ok - here are the map images - I hope....

From the south - Oronoco...

Oronoco2.jpg

From the north - Mazeppa...

Mazeppa2.jpg

Note: The server I have these on sometimes has a timing problem - you sometimes can't see the images unless you have a very fast link (like a T1). If thats the case, and you can't see these - post here and I will email them to you.

UG

[This message has been edited by Uncle Grump (edited 08-08-2004).]

Yet more info from UG. Thanks again Jim.
From the North:

Take US Hwy 52 to St.Hwy 60 (Mazeppa exit). Take 60 into Mazeppa and continue
on to the intersection with Wabasha Cty 7 (6.8 miles). Take a right on to Cty 7, then
take Cty 7 south to Cty 21 (3.9 miles). Take a right on to Cty 21, take Cty 21 to
Cty 90 (2.8 miles). Left on Cty 90 in to the DNR ramp / Ponderosa (.8 miles).

Notes:

1) If you come to a green steel bridge on Cty 7, you missed the turn off for Cty 21.

2) Its 1.1 miles from the intersection of Cty 7 and 21 to the gravel road (on the left as you head
south on 21) which takes you to Mac's Park Place.

3) Cty 7 is narrow and winding. Several places are posted for 35 mph.

From the South:

Take US Hwy 52 to Olmsted Cty 12 in Oronoco. Make a right on to Cty 12, and
proceed thru Oronoco, and up a hill until you come to Cty 27/Power Dam Rd
(1.6 miles). Make left on to Cty 27 (PDR) and continue in to Wabasha Cty, where
the road number changes to Cty 21, stay on Cty 21 until you come to Wabasha
Cty 90 (3.4 miles). Make a right on Cty 90 to the DNR ramp/Ponderosa (.8 miles).

Notes:

1) Its 1.7 miles from the intersection of Wabasha Cty 21 and 90 (north) to Mac's Park
Place.

2) On the Oronoco map, Mapquest incorrectly labeled Olmsted Cty 12 as State Hwy
247. Cty 12 joins Hwy 247 at the intersection of US Hwy 63 (to the East and off the map
image).

3) If you come to the lake from the South in the morning, we highly recommend that you
leave on Saturday afternoon via the North route, as getting on Hwy 52 via the interchange
with St Hwy 60 will be much safer than attempting to do so at Oronoco.

4) Cty 27/21 is winding. Watch out for deer, as the area is wooded.

------------------