• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Legal Handgun for MN Deer

zzammon

Where can i find difinitive proof that a 9mm is now legal? Im not calling ANYBODY a lier, i just couldent find it in the regs. They use to list each caliber individually now its just a broad caliber statement. From what i read all those caliber restrictions apply to RIFFLES an handguns are not mentioned. Thanks

after reviewing the regs, I saw what everyone has bene saying about the change. There's no longer a minimum length for the case. Just a minimum caliber.

Minmum caliber applies to all firearms.

Needless to say, I still wouldn't take a 9mm, 32 or 45 ACP or a .22 Hornet for deer hunting.

I wouldn't mind getting back into deer hunting with a handgun. When that day comes, I'll be looking at the .460 Mag. if not a T/C Contender in .243 or larger.

Where can i find difinitive proof that a 9mm is now legal? Im not calling ANYBODY a lier, i just couldent find it in the regs. They use to list each caliber individually now its just a broad caliber statement. From what i read all those caliber restrictions apply to RIFFLES an handguns are not mentioned. Thanks

It's quite clear. You couldn't find it in the regs because it is no longer there. Only a minimum caliber is defined. No longer does it distinguish based on length.

Edit: Just remember, legal does NOT imply ethical.

Not to condone deer hunting with a 9mm, but the caliber equivilant is .354(I believe). This is only .003 smaller than a .357, as many have stated is huntable. The main factor is shot placement, know your firearm and know your range.

It maybey only .003 smaller but it does not have the power of a .357mag.

Size means almost nothing when comparing calibers.

Case length and weight of the bullet have more effect.

A 9mm maybe equivelant to a ,354 but a .357 is a poor choice for hunting big game with. Not saying that it cant be done but .357 was created for one purpose. To shoot people in the head and kill them. You wouldnt catch me in the woods with a 9mm. I wouldnt use anything less then a .44 good luck

A 9mm maybe equivelant to a ,354 but a .357 is a poor choice for hunting big game with. Not saying that it cant be done but .357 was created for one purpose. To shoot people in the head and kill them. You wouldnt catch me in the woods with a 9mm. I wouldnt use anything less then a .44 good luck

I am pretty sure that it was created to do other things.

I have killed 2 deer with a Ruger GP101 6" .357mag.

Granted I used a hand load that I developed, it is a hot round.

My first thought when i read the new regulations was WoW i bet there is someone out there that will be out dear hunting with a .25 pistol, and i am sure some [PoorWordUsage] tried it! but the reality is who wants to spend a bunch of time in the woods and have a deer walk infront of them just to wound it and lose it! one of the members of our hunt on opener shot his first deer ever and he made a bad shot in the legs, it was nice to have the 9mm and walk up and put the deer out of its missery without spending another $2.60 a round

Originally Posted By: zzammon
Not to condone deer hunting with a 9mm, but the caliber equivilant is .354(I believe). This is only .003 smaller than a .357, as many have stated is huntable. The main factor is shot placement, know your firearm and know your range.

It maybey only .003 smaller but it does not have the power of a .357mag.

Size means almost nothing when comparing calibers.

Case length and weight of the bullet have more effect.

Adn that's why it is such a surprise that they changed the law the way they did.

I was a little surprised at the change as well. I can see Lou's point about simplifying the reg. But I that one may need to be revisited next year. Not referring to anyone here of course, but I am beginning to doubt the judgement of some "licensed hunters" we have in this state on this and other issues.

I have a 9mm, shoot hot bonded ammo and believe it would be capable of killing deer at 20 yards or less. I've done extensive testing with it, shooting it through multiple phone books, metal barrels, small trees, water jugs and opposums. I firmly believe it would perform better than my bow at penetrating through bone using 2 blade mechanicals. Unlike a rifle, it won't turn insides into jello but I believe it'll get the job done. Heck, I just might try it out if the situation is right.

The 127 grain +P+ Winchester Ranger SXT's are extremely hot and on par with standard load .357 mag. 1250 FPS, 441 ft. lbs of energy.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

For 2019 here are the regulations regs...

Legal big game cartridges:

It is at least .220 caliber and has center fire ignition;

It is loaded only with single projectile ammunition;

The projectile used has a soft point or is an expanding bullet type;*

The muzzleloader (long gun or handgun) used cannot be loaded at the breech (muzzleloading revolvers are not legal for taking big game);

The smooth-bore muzzleloader used is at least .45 caliber and

The rifled muzzleloader used is at least .40 caliber;

Muzzleloaders with scopes are legal during the regular firearms deer season and the muzzleloader season.

* Note: Hunters are reminded to select bullets that are suitable for taking big game. Most major manufacturers offer either bonded or all-copper bullets that are appropriate for taking big game. Hunters are advised to select a proper bullet design and weight that is suitable for humanely taking big game

On 11/16/2009 at 7:59 AM, rockman said:

I remember a thread here at this very forum last summer in which Lou Cornicelli clarified things regarding questions about the new allowed calibers. If he is on the board, he could certainly answer the 9mm question,but my interpretation of what he posted last year is that the allowed calibers are based on the caliber itself, not case length.Case length for 9mm was under the old regulation.

Correct, it needs to be a .22 caliber centerfire or larger. You can now use a .25 auto if you want. 

Nice!  I took one with my Ruger 44 a few years ago.  

Actually no lie.  I had a Buck chasing a Doe and when they stepped out from a bush pile I took the Buck with my .06 set it down and picked up my .44 off a stool and shot the Doe. 

Two different deer with two different guns under 60 seconds!  Fuuun!  ?