• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HSO Deer Photo's

full-6133-51012-resizedbucks2.jpg

We had a good opening weekend. I shot a nice buck at 6:55 am on Saturday morning. 2 deer came flying out of a big ditch 100 yards away, I heard a deep grunt, knew what was coming next, and get ready. He pops out of the ditch, comes towards me about 10 yards. Real quick check of outside the ears, enough points, and mature body, he met them all. If he followed the does, he would veer left and I would lose him so I pulled up, put the cross hairs on his chest, fired, and he was gone. I had no idea if I hit him. He was gone so fast and he never even flinched. I decided to give it 30 minutes and go look, 15 minutes after the shot I hear a wheeze, and just a little bit of leaves crashing. I then thought he was probably hit and was in the ditch. After the 30 minutes and got down to look for blood, didn't find any blood, hair, or spore, where I thought he was standing. Decided I would walk down along the ditch and try and see if he was there, turned around and took 10 steps and there he was behind some brush. He was not the one I thought I had on camera. We didn't have any pics of him.

I then Went home that afternoon and got my 7 year old son, he wanted to go out badly and his grandfather was more than willing to take him. I had originally told him it didn't look like he would get to go because the weather looked so awful. I didn't think it would be good, but Saturday night turned out to be surprisingly nice. I was excited for him to go because we just found out that he needed glasses and he got them last week. Hunting was going to look totally different to him with his glasses on. He jumped at the chance to go. So I took my nephew to my stand and sat with him, and his grandfather went to our 3 season condo stand. The condo stand is great for kids, it is fully enclosed, overlooking another meadow in the bluff side, but I am not thrilled about it's location. It's tough to get the deer to come in close enough for a great shot, their normal travel routs are all around 100 yards away, with one nice trail about 50 yards. At 4:00 I am glassing that meadow across the valley, which is about 400 yards away from my stand, and see a fork horn in the meadow. I am hoping they were still in the stand to see him, but I was not optimistic. 4:15 I glass over the meadow and there is now a nice doe in the meadow, and at 4:30 I hear one shot. I quickly pull up the bino's and see a large bodied deer running up the meadow to the trees, he gets to the tree line and disappears. It was obvious it was hit and I was very excited that they were still out there. About 15 min later, I see a big orange blob walking up the meadow with a little orange blob hot on his heels. They get to the tree and clump of brush that I last saw the deer and I see Grandpa motion for the little blob to stay back as he goes a little farther up just about to the treeline. I then see Grandpa motion to him to come and there is the little orange blob running up the meadow. I can't see them very well in the woods, but I can tell that the little one is jumping up and down, hands and arms just a flapping away. I was very excited for him and proud that he stuck it out for over 4 hours in the stand. I later learned that the buck came in to check the meadow for does and was starting to walk away when my son hit "the can" call for grandpa and the buck turned around and came right back to within 75 yards. It was pretty awesome to see his expression and he was still very excited yesterday.

Awesome story Trigger!!! with a son that I can't wait to get out in the stand with me I hope that one day I can help create a memory like for him!

Gordie once again you got a nice buck on Public land!! Congrats sir

Posted these in the reports area too-my boys and buddies boy had some fun last weekend-my 6 year old finally got to see some deer hit the dirt after three years of trailing me- all three of the boys in the second picture were with me when I got the buck shown with all of us-

full-4296-51041-image.jpg

full-4296-51042-image.jpg