• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

F.M. WALLEYE TOURNAMENT

Would anyone be interested in a F.M. walleye tournament? Being new to this site, I don't know if this has been done in the past. But like your F.M.launch trip I thought it could be a fun way to meet some of you. This could be strictly for fun, or there could be a small monatary incentive. I belive the state of Mn. doesn't require a permit for tournaments if the entry fee is under $10.00 you wouldn't get rich but that isn't the intention. I also know not everbody has a boat, I personally wouldn't mind fishing with one of you, I'm sure others feel the same way. As far as location for this tournament that can be worked out later. I just wanted to know if there was enough support for this idea. I also know that the dog days of summer are upon us and fishing can get a bit challenging, fall would be a better time, but hunting comes into play. I know it would take some time to organize this maybe next spring would be more appropriate. I guess I'm just wanted to know if anyone would be interested.

You're talking about a walleye tournament, though. The current FM leagues are multi-species. I'd be curious to see what the response would be if some species-specific tourneys were held. I have a hunch that there would be a considerable amount of interest in it.

Mark

If you were going to do a fundraiser type tourney you could have people who fish get sponsers who pledge "X" amount per pound of fish caught by their team. You could have winners in different categories. Most poundage, most money raised, most pledges, etc.
You would want to hold it on a body of water big enough and with a good population of fish. Possibly a fall tourney on Miss pool 4 would work. Or other larger body of water. I don't think Metro Lakes would work for a walleye tourney. Just some thoughts. Anyone else?

Actually thought about it some more and the thought occurred to me why not have 10 small tourneys all over the state at the same time on the same day? You could have teams sign up for a limited number of spots on the lake they want. They could be run like the Lets tourneys, 15 teams with one or two of the teams running the weigh-ins etc. at the site.

Just for example you could have Lake Benton in the SW, Big Stone in the W, Red River in the NW, LAke of the Woods and Vermilion in the North, Island Lake Reservoir near Duluth, Winnie and or Leech, Mille Lacs, Waconia in the Metro, One or more Mississippi Pools, etc.
The number of lakes and locations are just for example. This would truly be a statewide deal and small and intimate at the same time. And people would have a choice of lake near where they live or possibly one they like to fish, whatever. Just my thoughts. I think the MS society did something like this years ago but on a much bigger scale.

mm

[This message has been edited by mistermom (edited 07-01-2003).]

I would be interested depending on time and place and if you were interested in Mille Lacs I could help set somthing up and can probably get some deals on logging camping etc.I would also suggest starting out with a small tourny get together kind of thing due to all the other events going on already.

I agree with keeping it small. Thats why I like the idea of having several tourneys happening on different bodies of water around the state at the same time. 10-15 two person teams fishing on 5-10 lakes around the state wouldn't require pulling a permit and I think you got a better chance of filling small tourneys in several locations vs one big one in one location.

Entry fees or just for fun, charity or non-charity? Lets hear what people would like to do? If this starts to take off maybe it should get moved to FM events. If a person is interested in getting a tourney together in their area they could start a thread in their forum area. Ideas?

mm

------------------
I don't know why they call it hamburger helper. I think it does just fine by itself.

Count me in, I like the sound of the statewide deal and it being a charity event. I am sure me and Jim with StayNCharge Charging systems would be willing to kick in a charger or 2 for the cause and I am sure with the people we have here on this forum we could get some other sponsered prizes to give away to the tourney winners and those who raise the most cash. Keep me posted and I will clear my Calander and see what i can do about working a couple of our contacts for some prize goodies! smile.gif

------------------
Charge your boats batteries while you tow!
I know how...you can too!
Stay-N-Charge: Click Here

COOL! Hey Brian what do you think? Others? Remember there are no bad ideas or dumb questions, just bad and dumb people (just kidding). With cool sponsors like Bob and Jim and others who might be interested we might really have something here. Keep it coming.

mm

------------------
I don't know why they call it hamburger helper. I think it does just fine by itself.

The thought of soliciting pledges from people doesn't appeal to me, but then neither does the thought of only participating for selfish reasons. I'll participate in a charity tourney as someone's partner. I don't have a tourney-able boat, but I'll help out good causes the best I can, and if I can't fish it - I'll do the weigh-in & fish for fun in my rowboat between weigh-ins.

Soliciting pledges for a charity tourney organized through FishingMN.com gets positive attention for FishningMN, positive attention for tourney angling, positive attention for fishing itself, and raises awareness for the charity.
My shore-angling event is getting ZERO serious interest (other than my friends-thanx friends) so I would be willing to put some energy into this.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

If you think about it this could be the perfect opportunty to have a shore fishing entry also to go with the boat fishing part of the Tourneyment. This would give every body a chance at raising some cash for a good cause and getting a chance at some nice free goodies. Lets get this think together!

StaynChargeBob

------------------
Charge your boats batteries while you tow!
I know how...you can too!
Stay-N-Charge: Click Here

I'm heading out of town for the weekend as soon as I finish this post. All the feed back is great! Hopefully after the weekend we will have a ton of ideas and can formulate a plan.

I hope everybody has a fun and safe weekend!

P.S. Aquaman01 If your looking for a partner I'd be glad to have you on board.

Yeah MM, Yeah! One of these simultaneous events could be a shore tourney at a river location, and that river location could be a launch point for a boat tourney.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Yes lets keep open to lots of suggestions. One I was thinking that Aquaman kind of hit on was if you have a tourney style boat than partner up with someone who doesn't. A shore fishing deal going on at the same time where the boats take off and come back too would be cool. Or someone could arrange a shore tourney with instant weigh-ins and releases. And with instant weigh-ins and releases the sky is the limit as far as how much weight you could tally. For now suggestions are good. We'll start narrowing things down as more interest is expressed by folks. Thanks folks.

mm

It looks like we haven't had much activity on this subject since the 3rd. As it stands we have roughly 10 groups that have shown some interst. Fishing for me and the guys I talked to over the weekend was tough, and not what I would call tournament friendly. I propose we hold of on this tournament untill next spring, the end of May or early June.
I know tournament organizers try to coordinate their events with a hot bite that usually accurs at certain times of the year on their body of water. Lets face it fishing is a lot more fun when the fish are biting. I might be wrong on this, I just think the prime fishing for central Mn. is almost over untill fall. I would like this to be a possitive experience for everybody envolved. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying fish can't be caught this time of year. I just think the above mentioned time period would be better.

Pool 4 would be good. Late Sept. time frame is real good... I'd be interested, depending on what weekend. That time frame is starting to fill up for me..

One option regarding the charity is for everyone to pick their own charity in advance. Winning teams payout to the charity of their choice - that way everyone has interest in the charity of their choice.

KFAN puts out something like you are referring to with the pledging. The pledging could still be used for raising more money to the charity and is a great way to do that... Here is what I was thinking...

Limit to 15 teams, over 15 teams will require a DNR permit (not sure how much this will cost and/or hassle).

Entry Fee: $100 per team (of which, $30 must be your own money, up to $70 in pledges accepted or it can be your own money for those who don't want to get pledges - that portion is payout to charity)

Payout: Payout to anglers based on the $30 per team entry (the rest is donated to charity in the name of the team that won, and of course FM - $70 per team)

based on 15 teams ($450 angler payout, $1050 charity payout):

1st place - $250 to anglers ($550 donated to charity of winning team's choice)
2nd place - $150 to anglers ($350 donated to charity of winning team's choice)
3rd place - $50 to anglers ($150 donated to charity of winning team's choice)

For those that raise more than $70 per team via pledges, extra money raised donated to team's charity under teams name and FM.

Everyone interested in a big fish contenst could chip in an extra $5 for that pot.

[This message has been edited by fishnAddict (edited 07-07-2003).]