• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2003 Catfish Gatherings

RobertC,
I was planning on holding the Miss. gathering on the same island this year so camping will again be an option. Hopefully by planning the event a few weeks later this year we will have a lot more ground to work with.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the Carver Cat Gathering I am going with a late date this year.It will be Sept 13th.The river should be tame by this time and the cats should be on a steady bite and we should avoid any scheduling problems with any of the contests going on in august.

Yeah. I wasn't able to make the last one as I was working that day. I am also fairly new to catfishing myself but would like to learn more. I love the taste of channel cats caught out of clean water, they have become my favoirte food fish. I am going try to scout out the St. Croix this coming season for some good eats catfish.

I'd like to battle a flathead someday.. sounds like fun. I have a heavy Ambassador combo I could spool with some catfish spiderwire I bought for that purpose.

Fishhead; I marked that date on the calendar. So we'll see you there and probably before that on the mn river in your area. We got to liking that part of the river. Even thou we have not got on it at Chasta yet. We are planning on it this summer.

Catfish1

Hey catfish1
I am glad you are going to make it.I am going to do my best to see what I can do about getting a permit for camping in the park.No gaurantees but I"ll give it a shot.

Fishhead; That would be great and if you need someone to stay later to clean up I and the wife well be more than happy to help out. And if some kind of deposit is needed we'll chip in for that as well. Just let us know what is needed.

catfish1

Chemist
I have been thinking about that too!I am wide open in March but my February calendar looks pretty messy.I can't even see any of the numbers anymore! smile.gif

Yeah I'd be up for looking for some ice cats. MJ was going to do something orginally, but he says it doesn't look likely this year. If it's in march I'd rather it me the first week.. otherwise it'll get too sloppy and dangerous, knowing this winter. I'm usually getting the Open water gear buffed up in march... it's one of the two months out of the year I'm almost depraved of fishing.. (November) Someone was talking the Horseshoe chain... I guess I'd be willing to go that far but i'd be more apt into trying to catch them out of metro lakes that are DNR stocked with channels. Anyone interested in showing me the ropes of ice cattin in the metro I'd be all ears grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Crawlerman (edited 01-30-2003).]

Just an idea here for a gathering in GF. there is a catfish league taking place this summer, first come first serve type deal. although most of the dates are set for wednesday nights there is one that is on a friday night on july 11th its s imple little deal 10 buks a boat 2 peeps per boat. dont have to enter it but just an idea. i have a link for the league rules and dates but dont want to post it here cause im not sure if i can. just thought that might be an ideal time to try get some people around to have a get together. if your interested in the league or a gathering in GF you can email me at: [email protected]

Chad

Sorry about that link Rick. Anyone that is interested in the catfish league here in Grand Forks this summer here is the link to the rules http://www.catfishleague.com/ Anyone interested that doesnt live in GF should make sure there hasnt been any cancelations before they come. Last year there were quite a few because of high water and bad ramp conditions. Again Rick sorry about the first post. I brain farted

Well it sounds like July 19th will be the date of the St.Louis River Gathering of Rats with our host FisherDave...More details to come.

I'll say June 21st for a Mankato/St.Peter Gathering which may include a 3-4 day "Big River Run" Minnesota River Catfish Expedition hosted by the Dragon Master himself. I'll check into camping details but more than likley at Sibley Park/Municipal Campground in Mankato.

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Dang it!I would realy like to make that one.Don't suppose you can push her back a week? Dark Buddy?Best Freind, Old Pal. smile.gifMy company fishing trip is that weekend and its a you gotta go thing.Kinda wanted to show off the River Pro and give guys some rides.YeHaaaa!

Well, we could push it up a week to the 28th. The 14th is the Mississippi with firstchoice.

I sure do want to spend some quality time with you this summer! Tomcat.gif

------------------

Hey, just a thought... but could it be an idea to have one of these cat gatherings on the St. Croix? Maybe earlier in the summer when the cats are supposedly in their pre-spawn bite? I'd kinda like to learn those waters myself as I'd like to be able to catch some fish fairly close to home without having to worry about having to worry about glowing green after eating them. Maybe something in the Marine/Osceola/Somerset/Taylors Falls area? Thats a beautiful stretch.. though it's a little tricky to navagate if one doesn't know the river that well. And without any of this snow it may be low enough that it would be almost impossible to navagate in places. My second thought would be the Stillwater/Bayport area.

Thanks buddy.You are my best friend! smile.gifEven though you only like because of my RIver PRo smile.gifOh and I take good pictures.

Crawlerman
You set it up and I am sure some guys would show up.Do you know some hot spots on the Croix?

------------------
Minnesota River Guided Fishing
Dennis Steele
[email protected]
mnriverguidedfishing.homestead.com/Index.html

Not really, no. The big reason I suggested it is I'd like to learn the St. Croix; as the water is clean and it's not that far from the cities. I've only fished the St Croix by hudson/bayport twice; but have done more fishing on the N St Croix as my Grandpa has his house not too far from the public acess on the Wis side. I've only caught small ones so far on the St. Croix by Marine/Somerset. I'm also pretty new to cattin as I've only really been serious about catfishing/river fishing the past 2 years. However if I do spend enough time on the St. Croix (I plan to) and learn some spots I'll consider it..

The St.Croix is a totally different beast and I think it is buy far the most intriguing river we have. I hit it pretty hard one summer but just couldn't peg the cats in there. Always caught a few but never found good numbers or really large ones, which was always very frustrating because I've heard about a lot of pigs being caught.

Next Cat Gathering Saturday June 28 Sibley Park in Mankato. Lots of shore fishing spots as well as camping and a boat ramp.

WET NETS!

------------------

I'll probably only be able to show up to the Kato gathering during the day. I will definitely be bringing my boat.

What time does everyone typically arrive? And for those that are camping, is there a general area that everyone is staying at? Any reserved spots for camping?

Just so there is no confusion since Sibley park is split by the river (different sides of the river) the landing is on "the Land of memories" park/campground portion of the park and is right off of hwy 169 on the edge of Mankato. The other portion of the park is accessible only by side streets in town and has ball fields.

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/mn/flatheadpride/index.html

[This message has been edited by korn_fish (edited 06-15-2003).]

Is this cat gathering at Sibley Park in Mankato, or is at St Peter? Dark 30 is talking Sibley, but I've seen a post by Dennis saying it is in St Peter. I talked to Dennis at the LETS Metro on Prior and he mentioned St Peter again. I'd like to be there just don't know where.
Lucky