• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Metro LETS, Pool 4 Results

Here are the results of Pool 4

1)Dennis Steele/Canopy Sam 59.6
2)Walleye Wackers 8.9
3)Team Carpsnagger 7.5
4)Team Jighead 5.9
5)Scott/Jim 5.3
6)Balsam Lake Bandits 4.4
7)Bill/Marty 3.9
8)The Neises 3.6
9)Trouble Hook 3.5
10)Lance/Rob
11)Fish Bro's
12)Team Hogg

I would like to thank every one for fishing today!It was great to meet all of you!
If you would like to post comments on your days fishing please do.We would all like to hear how you did and what worked for you or didn't.

[This message has been edited by Dennis Steele (edited 05-19-2003).]

Sam and I couldn't buy a bite on anything but cats.I think the big fish was an 8.6lb channel cat.We found a sweet looking spot filled with timber and just kept tossing cut sucker to them.The bite would die off and we would hit another spot or two then back to that hole and pick up a couple more.The afternoon we went looking for bass and pike and pitched jigs for some eyes,just couldn't find any fish that would cooperate so off to the honey hole we went.The fish were on a good bite and I beleive we caught 5 cats in about an hour and two that filled our limit of them for the day.

Well, I got about 15 "crappies"......biggest one went about 8 pounds. For some strange reason, the mouths on them river crappies looks kind of funny.......and they don't have any spots.

My partner Paul and I tried to find some snags and holes for some channels and tried 7 or 8 different spots, but it was obvious that Dennis had found a concentration of 'em that wasn't gonna be matched so we went looking for bass and walleyes instead.

Had one little walleye that was under 15, and I tried to weigh in a 2 pound white bass.....but someone said those don't count.

Only fish we weighed in was a nice 3.5 pound largemouth that I got on topwater back in a flooded timber area.

Dennis's new boat must have kitty radar, cause only one other cat was weighed in other than the 10 that Canopy and Dennis weighed............

Yea, besides the one walleye we got, the only bites we could get were from sheepshead. Oh well, it was a good day to be on the water. My sun burn keeps me remembering it!

Dennis, did you end up getting back without any major problems?

Looking forward to the next tourney!

Dennis-

I think you got us switched around with Fish Bro's. Bill/Marty caught 3.9 pounds. You have Fish Bro's with 3.9 and us with nothing. Thanks Bill

Hmmmmm,

Seems kind of fishy to me!? Did you check "Fishheads" live-well before the tourney? How do you know then, they weren't transplants from the Mn river?LOL

Good to see you on top for once Dennis!LOL

All kidding aside, if there are cats in there, Dennis will sniff'em out!

Jim W

I had a great time, got to know a friend a little better, put a few faces to screen-names, met some really nice folks and learned a lot. This series is a good way to learn new water (and we had LOTS) in a low-pressure, but motivated scenario. I learned...

Where the bass, northerns and panfish WEREN'T in those conditions.

Where the eensy-weensy walleye WERE in those conditions.

How to slip-stream drift with a kicker motor.

Intro to Catfishing 101 (see Dennis' post).

Why Dennis had rods like framing lumber and line like rigging cables. The poor drag disks on my walleye rod are STILL smoking!

Couple of points of note -

If you're looking at some water wondering what it's doing, like 'is this a back-current? how fast is it?' hock up a nice loogey and let it fly. Watch where it goes.

Don't know if it made a difference or not, but I was injecting cod-liver oil under the skin of my freshcut suckers. Got to experiment more with that one.

I think my leader might have been a little long (24") 'cause I had a hard time dropping casts into just the right spot, and I think my dead, mangled sucker may have been floating off the bottom down there.

I'm hooked. Me want kitties. Here kitty kitty kitty.

Team Carpsnaggers

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Yea, that place is something else. It's weird, at certain times we were driving through the woods in a boat. Not something you do everyday. It was fun, but being back on a lake next time will be a little less stressful. Of course we got the croix later. Good meeting everybody.

We sure were not Hoggin' yesterday. It was great meeting everyone and look forward to the next event. We have no place to go but up!
- Thom (Team Hogg)

We sure were not Hoggin' yesterday. It was great meeting everyone and look forward to the next event. We have no place to go but up!
- Thom (Team Hogg)

OOPS
I was very tired when I finally got home last night.The score is fixed.Sorry billaa,and sorry Doug and Lucky smile.gif

It took Sam and I 3 hours to get home last night.My truck kept over heating(plugged radiator).If it wasn't for wastewater coming to the rescue we would still be on the road.

I should also thank Everets Resort and Steve Vick for having us.Nice place and I am sure to be back.

------------------
Minnesota River Guided Fishing
"fishhead"
[email protected]
www.mnriverguidedfishing.com

Yea, those darn cat guys... I thought we might catch them at lunch when we were at 6 lbs and they only had 46 lbs... LOL... Thankfully we are done with the catfish rivers, except the croix I guess...

Dennis, how is the catfishing on the croix in August?

Will we know on Prior lake by this coming Memorial weekend, for those planning to fish bass opener? That $5 per person doesn't seem unreasonable for the use of their service. If not, I think we could get better weights on Tonka anyway...

- fishnAddict (team Walleye Wackers)

[This message has been edited by fishnAddict (edited 05-19-2003).]

I have never tried for cats on the Croix except flatheads and had no luck but catfishing only gets better in the summer months smile.gif
I was impressed with Walleye Wackers bag,having caught nearly half of all the walleyes that were weighed.Nice catch on a tough bite!You better keep your eyes in back of your head on the next event.There could be a big green boat just out of sight following you! smile.gif
I have to admit I honestly was worried that every one would be fishing cats this weekend and was surprised that not many did.I had never fished for cats on pool 4 before this weekend and my prefising on saturday told me that we would not have much luck trying for anything else.Plus with a limit of 10 cats I knew we could get some weight in a bag.

------------------
Minnesota River Guided Fishing
"fishhead"
[email protected]
www.mnriverguidedfishing.com

I am expecting a call this morning from Captain Jacks. He was fairly confident that he can find room for us.

As an alternate........one of my best friends' dad has a cabin on one of the islands on the Upper end near Captain Jacks. I am currently negotiating the use of his docks and beach........I am thinking it may cost us a case of beer or something. I'll take care of any donations of that nature.

So far so good. By tonight, I will know for sure if it is a go or no go.....

Dennis, my fee for towing your boat Sunday is exactly one case of beer....

See I told you guys I'd take care of any donations required to secure the dock and beach.

I'll post tonight with the good word..

Say, you folks who hit into walleyes at Pool 4 - and that one northern - how & where?

My Channel was on the current side of a flooded logjam, sunny side but in the shade of the log, in 3' or so of water. She hit a mutilated sucker on a 1/0 circle-hook. It was the fifth cast at that log, so spooking that one out wasn't an issue with the previous casts.

Quid Pro Quo?

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Got my eye bouncing a big yellow jig and whole crawler in a back bay through a school of baitfish next to a little channel about 9' deep surrounded by 7' of water. Was the first bay on the right going downstream from the lauch.