• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3rd Annual Trout Day

Hey all,

Wanted to throw this out real early this year.
My Annual Trout Day will be taking place APril 26th, 2003. Agenda and other pertinent info to follow. Look for updates!!!

Also, for those of you who attended last years event, I am looking for feedback on things to change, add or delete!!

This is one of the places to do it!!!

Merry Christmas!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 12-30-2002).]

Robert,

The 3rd Annual Trout Day will be held at Forestville/Mystery Cave State PArk In SE MN.

The main focus is stream trout. However, there is a lot of opportunity to meet and talk whatever kind of fishing with those that attend.

Here is a brief from last years. I am hoping this years will have at least as much available if not more.

Minn Aqua-- the DNR's youth fishing/outdoors educational program. Last year they taught kids how to tie flies.

Laneboro Fisheries office: Demonstrated Electro-fishing and answerd questions:

Local Fly-fishing guide John Eggers provided flyfishing seminar.

Yours truly gave a spin-fishing for trout seminar.

"Stiff" from FM.com and friend assisted with the beginning to fly fish(casting)

General park info while meeting with and discussing stream fishing for smallmouth and trout with area enthusiasts like you, FM people and others.

Then I hand out GREAT door prizes at the end of the day. LAst year, every kid one a prize ranging from a tackle, new rod and reel combo's up to Guided fishing trips from across the state!!!! Granted, depending on the number of attendees, there is no guarantee everyone will win something.

Last year I handed out about 30 prizes. From prints to guided trips, Custom made Mel Dickie Rods and fishing gear and more!

Again, At this point, I am in the early pre-plan stage. ALmost can guarantee at least what I had for agenda items last year.

Gotta go!!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 12-27-2002).]

This is a great time.I have attended every one and had a lot of fun and learned a lot.Jim puts a lot of work and effort into this event so it is well worth attending.
You can bet I will be there!

Hmmn... how far is that from the Cities? I might attend as I would like to learn how to fly cast, but am really struggling with it on my own. Plus; I have not as yet caught a trout not held in a commercial pond. I would like to learn how. I'd bring a light spinning outfit and some rooster tails, slip bobbers, and small jigs if I couldn't learn to fly cast right; but I am interested in learning more about catching Trout; it's a species as to this far that has eluded me, partially due to the stamp cost and lack of using the boat; but next year I think I'll start smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Crawlerman (edited 12-30-2002).]

Update:

Lanesboro fisheries has committed again for this years Trout Day. It has become a tradition. Along with the electro-fishing demonstration, fisheries experts will give a biological perspective on trout in SE MN.

Sooooo, we now have a fly fishing seminar, spin fishing seminar and the Lanesboro fisheries office presentation as well.

More updates to follow!!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Jim

I have never fished for trout before and this sounds like a great opportunity to learn and meet some great individuals.I think I ice fished with DARK 30 last year and remember him talking about this event.

Is this a park that you camp at or is this a day event.

can I use a walleye spinning rod and reel?

Do I need to get any stamps or anything?

nighteye,

Be glad to have ya there! I guess you will get direct info on gear at the event, but depending on what kind of walleye rod your talking about.
I use all sorts of lengths and weight of rod for walleye fishing.

A couple things to think about. Castability, and hook set. Definitely, stay away from a stout rod, nothing over 6 feet. Medium light at the heavy end.
SOme like short ultra light rods, but I prefer a little longer rod for casting. I am a firm believer in long casts when fishing for a weary trout.

You can camp right in the State Park where the event is held, but you'll need to make reservations now!

If we REALLY need to, I have some room in my back yard for tents etc.

You do need a trout stamp. Attendees to the day of the event get half off the parking pass into the state park.($2)

If you have more questions please ask!

Jim W

I'm interested. I can get ideas for how the heck to put together a river-bank tourney for the metro this fall.

------------------
< )/////><{
RobertC

[This message has been edited by RobertC (edited 02-07-2003).]

Hey Jim W...I just had a thought for you...
My son and his best friend took fly-fishing lessons in Whitewater State Park last year. The man who taught the lessons was this GREAT guy who was maybe 70 - 75??????? I'll bet he has LOTS of great stories & advice he could share with the group @ your "Trout Day". I know he & his wife (who was wonderful too) work at, or volunteer at, Whitewater. His name is Andy Buggs, and he's been fly-fishing for about 150 years I think!
Just a thought... let me know if you want any help with anything.

-Gretch

ALl,

As with last year, Jhhn Eggers(local stream guide) will provide some how-to's for flyfishing SE MN streams and Rivers for Trout.
HE has also, graciously donated a day of guide fishing for a lucky attendee of this years Trout Day!

ALso, there have been numerous FM guides who will be donating trips from across the state.
Can't win trip by not attending Trout Day!!!LOL
MOre to come!

ladylikstofish,
If you know how to contact this "fishing fossil" get him in touch with me or invite him to Trout Day. I know I would love to meet him and i am sure others would like wise!

See ya there!!!!

Jim W

There are places to stay in nearby Preston,Mn. also...Campgrounds and motels. I stay at Hidden Valley Campground on the East side of town but there are a couple of others including the Old Barn Resort if you like a little more upscale.

I'm sure the Preston Chamber of Commerce could help out with ideas on where to stay.

Jim, I have some pics from last year if we can get something posted let me know. Looking forward!

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Update,

I am happy to announce that Kathy Beaulieu of the DNR's MINN AQUA program will be attending the 3rd Annual Trout Day. Exactly to what extent is yet to be determined. Her program and information is geared towards educating our youth in a wide array of outdoor topics.

FOr those who attended last year, want more time tying practice flies?

So is this day for kids too?? You bet!!!!

Thanks Kathy, again!!!!!

See ya all on the 26th of APril

Keep the rods bendin'!!!!

Jim W