• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Metro I.C.E. Series

I saw the Metro L.E.T.S. thing and was hoping it was in the winter, as that's when I get to fish the most. But, it's not. I would like to participate in the I.C.E. series, but I'm poor, and can't take off for a whole weekend a lot of the time. Is there anyone who would like to start an ice fishing league or maybe just set up some outing like we did last year. The events would be best suited for one day, rather than dragging them out over two. I think staying within an hour of the Twin Cities would also be best. I would be willing to help organize events with some help. Is anyone interested? Let me know. Rick, is this something FM could promote. email is [email protected]

Good Luck,
Rusty

Sounds good.... I'll start thinking of some locations. Feel free to list some that you think may be worth visiting. A league might be fun.... and we wouldn't have to require money.... I think bragging rights is worth much more anyway. I'm sure this will pick up interest as the ice season draws nearer.

Good Luck,
Rusty

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Sounds very good Rusty. Please try to pick dates that don't coincide with the I.C.E. Series if possible.

Rick,

Very good sir, I will avoid I.C.E. series dates, if possible. I'm compiling information on some of the better metro lakes to fish, and will hopefully have a tentative list soon. Feel free to email me if you think there is a lake that should be included in the list. Thanks.

Good Luck,
Rusty
[email protected]

I would participate in a metro thing. It is hard to get away for 2 full days so this would be great. An interesting twist mgiht be to have a day on the ice where everyone had to use only Angle Eye's and glow devils. Maybe Scenic Tackle could offer some lures as prizes.

[This message has been edited by Pherris (edited 11-02-2002).]

This is a preliminary list, in no particular order:

Calhoun
Chisago
Waconia
Rush
Buffalo
Minnetonka
Peltier

This is just a list of lakes that we might try. I'm looking for people who know these lakes to help me out in hosting events, and putting us on fish. Some of these lakes I haven't fished before. Let me know if you're willing to help out.

Good Luck,
Rusty

Rusty-- can we get atleast ONE lake in the South/ eastern part of the Metro area? All of those are quite a trip for me; espically Chisago, Waconia, or Minnetonka. What about Bald Eagle, White Bear, Prior, Spring, Marion, or Elmo?

Crawlerman,

You bet.... these lakes are just ideas, not set in stone at this time. I'm looking for more feedback.... also, the amount of interest I've seen hasn't been jaw dropping. Pick what you think is the best lake out of your list, and let me know.

Good Luck,
Rusty

Rusty,

Personally, I think a metro league is a great idea -- many of us can't travel as far or often as the regular I.C.E. series requires.

From my perspective the lack of interest may be due to a lack of understanding about what you're proposing. Perhaps you could provide folks with a few more details about the proposed league -- fees, rules, etc.. and then work out the details on lakes. You may want to contact Grabs for some advice. At this late date it may require a LOT of work to get things properly organized.

Another option, one that seemed to work well last year, is the "Metro Ice Tour." Rather than an organized league, the ice tour is a series of informal gatherings at metro lakes hosted by folks with knowledge of a particular lake (see eyeball's thread in the Metro Forum). This would take far less effort to organize, yet still allow folks an opportunity to get together, share tips, and have some fun.

just my $.02

Spike,

Thanks for the input.... I'm in the process of getting organized with rules, etc... I'm just hoping enough people will be interested in order to make it a good time.

Good Luck,
Rusty

I'm working on a scoring system. I need YOUR input. The problem I'm having is the issue of catch and release. Being this league would take place in cold weather, it will be difficult to practice catch and release. I'm looking for creative ideas. i.e. would people really be willing to have a cooler with water for a livewell? Would it be best to have everyone fish in the same general area, in order to weigh fish quickly and release. Catch and release will not be mandatory, as I understand some people (including myself) like to keep their catch. Well I guess I just need some help.

you can email me at [email protected]

Good Luck,
Rusty

Rusty, the best I think you can do is encourage C&R, but you won't able to pentalize people for dead frozen fish. If people choose to do C&R they will be prepared to keep their fish alive. Also most of the lakes won't be all that big that you are fishing, so if someone gets a large fish that they want to release, allow them to verify it with another participate and then release it.

The best way to do this would be to measure the length and use the calulators to get the closest approximate weight.

Also 1pt per pound like the other series would be a good option, it is quick no need for sorting fish out.

This would also give people a good idea how the LETS series is run, a little prelude so to speak.

You could do a Draw format, where the rules would be that you have to fish near enough to a person that you drew to be able to measure a fish that your draw partner caught.. That way if a person released a fish they would not be the person measuring it... just to keep it more honest.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Rusty,
just use the ICE Series scoring. Only go 1 pt per pound. It's the easiest way and it works.

I know I said I'd have the rules and everything up right away... but I've gotta tell you it's taking some time to get the schedule and what not worked out. I'm trying to work around the I.C.E. series, and the Metro Ice tour. I ask you to please be patient. I will have everything set up very soon.

Good Luck,
Rusty

Hey rusty, if you need any help i would love to be a part of the planning process. I have a feeling this could lead to something huge for ice fishing nuts all over the metro. Contact me anytime. S21

Hey rusty, if you need any help i would love to be a part of the planning process. I have a feeling this could lead to something huge for ice fishing nuts all over the metro. Contact me anytime. S21

Steve 21,

I am looking for help. I need your email so I can get in touch with you. Please post it, or email me at [email protected]

Thanks for your interest.

Bigeyes,

I am out to make this an enjoyable time, without breaking anyones bank, including mine, which is VERY small. I will make everything affordable, and as fun as possible smile.gif

Good Luck,
Rusty