• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what to do....bunks up against double atv door

mrjigger

I have a 6.5x14' ice castle with double atv door on the back. I also have a side door, so I want to put the bunks up against the atv door.

I know I could just build the bunks and remove them and put them up against the wall when not using. But this option seems kind of cumbersome.

I really just want to put in a top bunk and then use a cot or something on the bottom.

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas that they have used in their fish houses? I am thinking something that is foldable or retractable in some way.

thanks.

(double doors) sounds cold, damp, and drafty. I saw somewhere, maybe here, where someone had a piece of rubber that rolled up and hung over the double door area when they weren't open. Even if the doors don't leak any are in - the frames must frost up when its cold cold, right?

This is a toy-hauler RV style bed. I haven't had any issues with the doors being cold. Just a little frost near the floor. I think there's about 5'-10" clear below it in the up position.

bedframedown.jpg

bedframehalfup.jpg

bedframeup.jpg

My door is not the tightest and lets a little air through - But on the VERY cold nights say 30 below even the frame around the door frosts up a little (not just where air is leaking through) After seeing that that is why I would be leary about sleeping next it. Maybe mine has a cheap door and frame.

My buddy and i did this to his house. If you are willing to always walk in the side door you can build a hinged bunk for the top bed. Measure the highest point of your wheeler and allow 3" for extra clearance to push into FH. THe bottom bed you have two options. A - Buy a cot and store it when not in use. B - Hinge (2) boards off the side walls that fold up to side walls when not in use. Each side has to be hinged in two places. THe side wall and half way to center of the house. wish i had pics to post it is really slick. The top bunk can be used for storage durring the day as well. Good luck. I forgot we also put 2 holes in back under lower hinged bunk with catch covers as well.

I've seen a setup like your describing at the ice show a few years ago. The bunks rode up and down on tracks. A winch mounted on the wall and a few cables ran through pulleys and attached to the bottom bunk would raise and lower it. The bottom bunk would raise the top bunk with it when it got high enough.

You could easily make the tracks out of 2x2s and sandwich everything together.

Mr Jigger

First of all. if you're 6-3 you will not fit in a 6 1/2 wide house, inside dimentions are maybe 6'. Iam 5-11" and it is a tight fit for me.

Do what ST said, only for your bunk, (the bottom) make it queen size, so you can lay kinda side ways. Also big enough so 2 people have plenty of room.

Also if you don't use the double doors much, you can make removable panels out of 1" foil covered foam, friction fitted against the entire end, covering the doors.

Insulate the floor, and you can almost heat the thing with a candle grin I have the same one and it works great.

GVT where did you find that bed system? 

Kmmartin Welcome to the forum. If your responding to a 10 year old post. One thing you can do is click on the persons profile to see if they are a still active. In this case GVT has not been on the site for a long time.  Checking before you post will save you some time.

Good Luck.