• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newborn Fawns in Oct?

I was told that the DNR wants you to shoot fawn if they have spots on them during the firearm season because they only have a 20% chance of making it through the winter. So you might as well fill your doe tag with a deer that probably wont make it. Plus I heard that is the best tasting and tender meat, but you don't get much.

Man I am dumb i dont know where I heard it or thought i read it but I thought for sure ha ha that shooting a fawn with spots was illegal. i went last year without a deer and saw 3 fawns with spots and didnt shoot any cause i thought it was illegal. Darn it. Yes very tender meat. Well at least I know now. Anything that walks bye is fair game.

The WI rule on spotted fawns is news to me, so I went to check the regs. Apparently it is legal, but if you shoot one you need to contact the warden if you intend to keep the hide.

Quote:

It is illegal to:

• sell, purchase, barter, or offer to sell, purchase or barter any deer or deer part

thereof except: the head, skin not in spotted coat, and antlers not in velvet of any

deer lawfully killed, when severed from the rest of the carcass.

• possess a deer with antlers completely broken off in an EAB deer management unit

or during an antlerless only deer season prior to registration, which makes determination

of legality impossible.

• possess a deer carcass unless tagged and registered as required.

• possess deer antlers in velvet, spotted hides, albino or white deer which are entirely

white except the hooves, tarsal glands, heads and parts of the head, unless special

written authorization is obtained from the department.

Note: Deer with antlers in velvet or in spotted coat may be harvested during the

open deer season, however, to keep the antlers or spotted hide the hunter must contact

a Warden within 7 days of tagging the deer and request written authorization.

The spotted hide and velvet antlers may not be sold or transferred to another person.

Albino and white deer may not be harvested without prior written authorization

from the DNR. Except albino and white deer may be harvested and possessed

in the CWD Management Zone.

• transport another person’s unregistered deer unless accompanied by the person

issued the carcass tag. Once registered, anyone may transport the deer.

Note: Residents and non-residents may transport legally possessed deer out of

state once registered. For transportation requirements in CWD units and from

other states, provinces or countries, see page 30.

I saw a fawn with light spots tonight. I think a deer that young will have a tough time getting through the sinter especially it the doe gets shot during the season. I'm sure many have seen a fawn thats traveling alone and they look very lost.

i have killed a small fawn during an early gun season before. its spots were faded but still visible. we have all seen a late born fawn before but this is interesting. its just interesting that a buck whos testosterone level tailed off could have wanted to breed. could have something to do with a buck that never shut down. one of those that keeps his head gear on alot longer than others since the growth and shed process is pretty much hormonal. awesome picture.