• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

VHF Radios for Vermillion tournament

I was considering getting a radio but don't think I will part with the money before Big V.I don't know that much about them and not sure if I want to put a monster antena on the boat.Are any hand held units worth getting?Bob I will take you up on that offer for use of your handheld for Big V.Be nice to see how they work before I buy one.

[This message has been edited by fishhead (edited 05-20-2002).]

I think we discussed this before in another thread, but I can't remember which one. I do remember ScottS saying something about installing a 24(?) ft antenna...

Anyway, can we agree on a channel? How about #69 unless Guideman has another preference?

How many people will have radios? Maybe a better question is how many teams will NOT have a radio? I finished installing a fixed mount this weekend so I have a handheld I can loan to someone.

Anyone willing to start chatting while prefishing?

Fishhead,
You can use my handheld. They are easy to use and much more convenient and practical for group communications than cell phones.

Fixed radio units don't require a big antenna. Three foot "whip" antennas, both fixed mount and removable, will often work quite well. I went with an 8 ft to make sure the signal was above any obstructions in the boat and to get the maximum range feasible.

The cheapest handheld I have seen is at Cabeles for $95, which includes a rechargeable battery pack and DC adaptor. Most handhelds are over $175, which would also buy a decent fixed mount system. From Cabelas you can get a basic fixed mount radio with a 3 ft antenna for about $120.

Motorboat & Sailing magazine published some test results that show two handhelds can communicate with each other about 5 nautical miles. An 8 ft antenna and a handheld can communicate about 7 miles and two 8 ft antennas would reach about 10 miles. I would expect a 3 ft antenna to have about the same range as a handheld.

In my opinion, the main hassle with a fixed mount radio is finding a good place to mount it in a small boat. The main challenge with my handheld is that it eats nine AA batteries at a time. I'll load it with NiMh rechargeables for you, but they may not last a full day if you transmit much. I have a cigarrete adaptor, but I got a lot of interference with other boat electronics. That may be reduced with a DC adaptor cord connected directly to a battery, bypassing my main fuse panel. I have such a cord to loan you and I have not tested that yet.

Heh Guys, When are you planning to pre-fish??? I'm going up over the memorial weekend...Let me know if you're around...I've got room in the boat for one on the weekend!! See Ya!! BFJ

Just a reminder guys,
A 5 mile range isn't that far on the big V. Pike bay is 5 miles long, to go
10 or 15 miles on the V is a short trip
for me.

We could all be fishing in Big Bay and
still be out of range of each other.
From my place to Moccasin point is over
12 miles and that's just the other side
of Big Bay.

Make sure to bring an extra gas tank if you use 6 gal tanks, your going to need it. Ten miles is a short boat ride when
your on the Big "V". smile.gif

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
aceguideservice.com

I have two handheld radios, both very nice waterproof units ($200 each) that I will be bringing with. I bought them for keeping in touch with shore (my wife) while I am out in the boat. I would call that 5 mile range a little long from what I have seen. The units are great for a couple of boat fishing together on a flat or a point, to discuss what is working, but to talk across a large body of water, especially one with many points and islands, your range will be very limited.

I am glad I have them, it's nice to keep in touch with my wife and three year old, and to make it back for supper, but "I was out of range" tends to screw things up. I am wishing I went with the fixed unit, and the antenna from hell on my boat, then I might have gained a couple more miles.

See you guys on the Big V