• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red river get together?

I checked the calendar for date/place info and did not see anything. Remember reading sometime back it was perhaps going to be scheduled in the september time frame. A great choice for catfishing the Red for sure, and also a chance at a big walleye. Last year we boated lot's of large cat's and wally's in Sep. near Drayton. Anybody know where it may be held, I know boating in the southern reaches can be tricky at best, especially with low water. Perhaps the plans are not firmed up as of yet, but if anyone knows anything please let me know.

Thanks....Fisky

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think that there are any plans for a Red River get togoether yet.I would definately attend if some one were to host it.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Backwater Eddy did mention a get together on September 7th.

He has not as yet given a specific spot on the Red or time for it to start.

Ed,
you still going to have a get-together?

I think it should be held sometime before August 15th. That's when I have to move back to Wisconsin for school. I would love to do some catfishing and meet some of the people on this forum.

Gerd

Well Ed,
you gonna pick a new date, time, place, etc?

Piggy chasers everywhere want to know?

September will not work for me the way things are stacking up.

Sooo......MMMMM.......Ahhhhhh.........?

The last weekend in August, August 31 (My B-day) is open, and the last weekend in July (27th). Other then that my summer & fall weekends is looking pretty darn tight.

Location?

In the Fargo area the only camping site that is workable is the Lindenwood Park site. Lots of good spots in the Moorhead Parks BUT they don't alow overnight camping (talk). I may be able to get the guy who heads up the Moorhead Parks Dept. to grant us a special permit for MB Johnson Park, he is a good guy so if it is at all possible he would do it. That would be a very good location to base from as I see it. I do a lot of volunteer stuff with groups who have connections with the parks Dept. so I may be able to get that headed in the right direction?

Any thoughts?

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 05-06-2002).]

I don't speak for anyone else,
as for me, when you name the date, time, and place, please let me know and we'll get

<b>Backwater Eddies Cat Festival</b>

posted on the Events Calendar.

How about it, What do the rest of you have to say?

Come on everyone push him hard for those camping spots....

Big Cats and I suspect greenbacks are calling all hands to the Red River.

That sounds like a blast! I would definitely attend this get together. Johnson Park is a great location, excellent boat ramps, parking, shore night fishing locations...etc....

What about EGF, plenty of campsites right near the public access, good shore fishing, nice ramp and plenty of water for almost any boat thru that strech of water. Maybe Drayton, camping right by the dam and access, really good fishing thru this strech of river for sure, and enough water for most boats????

Fisky

[This message has been edited by fiskyknut (edited 05-07-2002).]

I don't know any of the area up there but would luv to make it. Just let me know when and where. Like most I have to plan my week-ends. the sooner the plan the better.

Keep Setting That Hook

catfish1

August 31 is good then.
(We can call it my B-Day Piggy Party HA!)

Fargo/Moorhead area is a certainty.

If it will or will not be a overnight thing is yet to be decided.

Fargo-Moorhead Convention and Visitor's Bureau
2001 44th St. SW Fargo, ND 58103
Toll-Free 1-800-235-7654
Local 282-3653

????????????????????????????????????????

What I need to know to get things rolling.

1- How many will be there from points out of town? 100? 50? 25?

2- Do you wish to have a central camp site? (If one is not permissible at the boat launch/fishing site will this effect your willingness to camp?)

3- What do we wish to do for a catfishing event? Catfish ONLY and C&R if possible?

4- Do we wish to have a boat division and a shore angler division or should they be in the same group?

5- Do we want a fish fry and a potluck type deal, or each bring their own lunch?

(I guarantee Eddy is not cooking for the heard!) smile.gif

6- Is this a WWW.FishingMinnesota.com only event and closed to the public?

7-Prizes, kids stuff to do, what other things should we plan for if any? Pin the tails on the piggy? smile.gif

AND the big one for me!

Who locally can and will help me out with this?

Toss out some ideas and I will share mine once we see what is what.

Thanks,

ED

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Hey Eddie
I am glad you decided to host this and am really looking forward to it!

I have marked it on the calendar.

1)I will be coming from out of town
2)Central camping on the site would be nice but I would show up if I had to get a motel or pitch a tent somewhere else
3)Selective harvest at worst.Just keep enough little ones for a fish fry.(if there are any liitle piggys smile.gif)
4)Divisions? Will there be a competiton?Then you would need a permit.More hassle than needed.I am not comming to compete,just for a good time with other cat men.
5)A fish fry that evening sounds good.with a pot luck for the sides.I can bring a pasta salad.
6)Your call?
7)Door prizes are always fun.Maybee a short seminar on fishing the Red.

This sounds like a great time allready.Don't think that you have to do too much.Just a few guys all getting together to talk cats would attract me.

Maybe an informal competition with a big piggy kitty pot would be fewer hassles then worrying about the DNR or NDG&F permits?

The simpler the better is how I like things!

YUP-YUP!!

wink.gif

I would like to see something for the kids to do, if we have kids around.

The MB Johnson Park in Moorhead has a shelter that would work well for a medium sized group and is at a good boat ramp location. Good to great fishing, top choice.

The other choice in Lindenwood Park in Fargo for the gathering. Bad deal there is it is in a section of river that has 2 dams above and below, so the range is limited for boats. Lindenwood is a Very good pay to camp site though! In the heat of August it also has a lots of shade, that would be nice too. Fair to good fishing in the South section.

The Mid-Town Dam has 2 new ramps but again dams on either side box it in so fish migration is limited. Fairs to poor choice in mid summer/early fall in my opinion.

Convent Landing is a good to great section of river but no camping or improved park facilities available. Good fishing, but less extras.

Stuff to consider.

ED

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Ed,
I think this event should be open to whomever would like to participate. From past experience, I believe getting about 25 people together is realistic (could be more).

I too believe it should be non-competitive or at most as you suggest, informally comeptitive.

Just a fun event and gatheirng of folks who want to piggie hunt on the Red with a little help from one of the GREAT Red River Anglers-YES, YOU ED.

If you're interested in helping, please contact ED or leave a post here with your e-mail addy so Ed can contact you.

If you're interested in attending, leave a post here so Ed can get an idea of whta to plan for.

Thanks ED,
sorry I missed this post for so long.

I really need to get a idea of who and how many are interested in the catfish get together on August 31st in Fargo.

So far I have not seen enough interest for me to set aside the day/weekend from my guiding shedule and I may need to reconsider the event.

I have several people interested in booking that weekend for guiding if the interest is not there for the catfish get together then I guess I will book them?

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]