• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HARVEST PROGRESS

I don't see any way for the farmers to get their crops off in the eastern part of the state before deer season. It looks like another year like last year. The only good thing is that there were a lot of deer that made it through last year and there will be even more that make it through for next year. Should be some nice ones around.

This new rain/snow will not only keep the farmers out but if it doesn't dry/freeze hard in the next week......the roads and trails will be a mess with all the deer hunter traffic.

If I had a tag in the eastern part of the state......I would definitly try to fill it the first 1 1/2 days.After all the belts,farmsteads/potholes get pushed......everything will be in the corn/flowers.

The winds are howling out here today 20-30 mph and the crops are coming off. Many of the sunflowers in my area around Bismarck have been harvested already and what is left they are busy getting in the bin. I was south of I-94 today and there are still A LOT of standing corn and sunflower fields. The weather is supposed to be fairly decent this week for the farmers but some chance of rain in the forecast for later in the week may slow them down.

Keep an eye out for farm machinery on the back roads and highways because they're really moving around right now at a fast pace trying to get these crops harvested.

Beans and sunflowers are getting pounded, corn has not been touched except a few strips for feed. Corn will start next week if things stay dry. When corn starts things will get nuts for deer and geese.

When corn starts? I think you mean IF ...

Talked to a buddy today around Lidgerwood. He said the corn was starting to get moldy!! He has 3000 acreas planted of corn and beans and only has got off 250 acreas of beans. NOT GOOD!!

Same thing happened last year...I bet farmers are kicking themselves now for putting so much CRP back into production...

They got everything out last year. It was much colder last year so they just drove on ice and harvested crops. Hopefully it gets cold on December 1st!!

Really? Where were you at? I saw a TON of fields that went unharvested all winter. In fact, I saw fields getting combined in early June on my way to Devils Lake for some walter action.

Hope they are hitting it hard now! Had several days with no rain, sun, and some wind. If that doesn't spell D-R-Y, I don't know what does!

Just read in the Fargo Forum this morning that the past week of warm, dry weather has helped out a lot...for the beans. Apparently 80 percent of ND beans are harvested now and 92 percent of Minnesota beans are harvested. As for corn, well, that's still way, way behind. Apparently the average harvest by now in N.D. is 74 percent. Actual harvest so far: 8 percent.

Doesn't look good...another year of too much cover through deer and pheasant season frown

The issue is also a back-up at the grain driers - even if weather allows combines to roll, much corn has too much moisture in the kernals that requires drying via propane drying equipment (this takes time and costs money).

Another few weeks of dry, windy, sunny weather will drive this moisture content down.

Now if the weather between Christmas and New Years is not -20F, we maybe looking at the real opener smirk