• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Memorial Day Weekend

So whats everyone doing on Memorial Weekend?
I'm leaving on Thursday for the camper. Friday our middle daughter and her family will be coming up to spend the weekend. I found an old camping book today when going threw some stuff and found a couple recipes I use to make when we went camping when our girls were little. I think I'll make some Indain fry bread tacos and a pinnapple upside down cake over hot coals for the 2 grand daughters and to bring back some memories for their Mom from when she was little. Whats going to be cooking where your at?
<><Mary><>

HI Del, With all this rain the Lake has gone up some. We had to add a plank to get on our dock. You would of thought it would have gone up even more then it did, but like one person was saying there was a lot of sluews that had to be filled up first that were dry. The Cannon River runs into our Lake. Also they got plenty of rain but not near as much as we did in Iowa. You did mean the Lake right? Are you headed up that way soon?

Del you go a head and intrude all you want. Your always welcome here.

Have a safe and happy Memorial Weekend!
<><Mary><>

Thats to bad you have to work. This is just the beginning of camping season so hopefully you will get some time to get out there this summer.

Ok here is the recipes. They are cooked over lots of hot coals in a dutch oven.

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Line dutch oven with aluminum foil. Bottom and sides. Grease with butter or oil.
Line bottom of pan with pineapple rings. Add a cherry in the middle of each pineapple.
Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 3T. of the pineapple juice.
Perpare a yellow or white cake mix acording to directions on box. Pour over pineapple. Put the dutch oven in a good hot bed of coals. Depending on the coals it should take about 45 min. Test cake with a tooth pick to make sure its done. Let it cool about 10 minutes and pull the cake out by the foil and flip the cake over on a dinner plate.

Indain Fry Bread

4 c. flour
1 T. salt
1 T. baking powder
Mix together. Add enough water to make stiff dough. Knead until dough is thick and elastic. Form into thin round patties. Fry in 1/2 inch of very hot oil until brown on both sides. Now you can do all kinds of different things with this. Top them with your favorite taco items. Eat them hot with butter or peanut butter. I use to roll them in sugar for my girls when they were little.

Enjoy Mary

Well, I went and got the boat license today - but then I watched the weather. It is not looking good. Mattsgal may be better off working and getting another weekend off. We had planned to head over to the daughters lake place, but if the weather is cold and wet I think we will just wait. We were out for supper on Sunday night and two guys came in that had been fishing and they were just shaking they were so cold. That does not sound like fun to me.

Hope you all have a safe and happy holiday weekend.

------------------
Phyl

Mary,

Looks like I'm going to be stuck working all weekend, while Matt is out catching fish. frown.gif He's going up north somewhere...Red Lake area maybe??? I am really bummed out. frown.gif Hope you guys get some good weather and some good fish!

If you have time, I would love those recipes! I'm hopeing to get out camping at least one time this summer and I would love to try out new things.

Have fun this weekend with your family! I'll be thinking about you! *crying* smile.gif Good Luck and Happy Fishing!!

MattsGal

I am heading to Beebe lake on Friday and maybe Sat. weather permitting. I hope we have some fun, however I wonder how much the lake has risen (launching a 12 foot alum. boat) I am excited being it will be our first time out.

Good luck fishing and have a great holiday weekend (even if you have to work like me on Sunday).