• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need tips for catching a fisherwoman!

Hi all!

I'm new to fishingminnesota.com and I couldn't believe it when I saw this forum, really neat!

I need some advice, where do all the single fisherwomen hide. I spend a lot of time on the water and I don't see them there so what kind of advice can you all give me.

Thank's for your help!
Jeff

Hey Jeff - welcome to our site! I read your question earlier and have been thinking about it. I think there are women out there that love to fish but just don't get a chance because they do not have a boat or do not want to go alone. I know a woman that is dying to go fishing and none of her friends like to fish so she just sits at home and wishes.

But as for places to look that is hard. I agree that the bait shops or sporting goods stores would be a good place and ask about some lure she is looking at. Or maybe at the sportsmen shows you will see some women there without men. But I am sure they also have other sporting interests as well, for instance, I was showing horses when I met my husband and just finally got him into fishing so if you meet a gal that likes the outdoors maybe she likes fishing also or would like to try it.

Also, I don't think that most gals that like to fish are the dress fancy, lots of makeup and perfume kind of gal. So that is something to think about also. I do agree though that you don't often see two women out fishing together. The only two I have seen would not have been interested in a man for anything - if you get my drift.

Then when you do get one to go with you the problem is keeping them interested. Don't keep telling them how to do it, or keep grabbing the equipment out of their hands etc. You are out there to have fun not get in a battle over who is the best fisherman. Like when you use to play co-ed basketball or volleyball and the guys always had to push the girls aside and steal the ball. Man I hated that!

Good luck with your looking. It really is fun when you can go fishing with your best friend - and it is your wife or husband. grin.gif

------------------
Phyl

Jeff, I read this ? earler also. My first thought was to just delete it since this is not what this forum is all about. This is a place for women to come that want to find out things about fishing and hopefully get some good advice. Its not a dating service. Hopefully some day you will find a nice girl and if she doesn't know how to fish you can teach her. Good Luck Mary

Phyl, You are like the "Ann Landers" of fishing. It's very nice to see things from a womans perspective in a mostly male environment. Believe it or not, you just gave me (I assume others) a different outlook on how to act towards women and even children. The macho I know everything attitude that most men have can be a reason for some women or children to not want to go fishing , the fishing may not be the problem, but the attitudes are. ST's post taken in perspective was very funny, IMO. I dont know why it's gone, or care for that matter, but it was funny and I know there's no harm meant to anyone. And hope that no one was offended, just plain humor like in the joke thread. I may be off base here, but wouldn't it be neat to have an area or topic where men/women can meet and fish together? I wonder, are there a lot of women that log in to FM? Scenario: Loaded the boat and went to the tackle shop to pick up my bait and my date. The scouting all payed off and I had a chance at a catch of a lifetime, but only if my preperation,experience,presentation was perfect. I didn't hook her yet, but she showed interest in my techniques and efforts and if I do everything right, I may land this fish of a lifetime and have to search no more!! can it be luck?

Welcome, Jeff S.
In the past other guys have tried "trolling" this forum and their posts were whacked faster than an extra in a Brian DePalma flick, but it seems that Phyl & Mary have let it go, and it seems to have sparked an interesting discussion.
My wife fishes a little, but wants to learn more. I'd like to have someone else do it, to tell ya the truth. Not 'cause I don't want to - but because she doesn't respond well to my "teacher hat". I'll teach my son & daughter, 'cause I'm already set up to wear the that hat with them.
I'm an old (kind of) married guy, and if I had to throw out a bit of advice (cheap and subjective) it would be not to base any relationship on any single common interest, or even any small collection of common interests. People change. My best, longest and most fulfilling relationship has been based upon 2 basic things - 1) We get along even when we don't get along and 2) That *spark*.
Now, anyway - I came in here to check that old jokes thread - see ya.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Maryjl, If you feel you need to delete my topic there would be no hard feelings here. I understand this is not a dating service and that was not my intent with my topic. I was just looking for a little friendly advice among fellow fisherpeople. I just figured that gals who love to fish might have a few tips for me. Better advice than some guys would give anyway.

Thank you to all of the advice you all have offered.

Jeff S

I whacked them.
After Maryjl's reply I took is as this is a forum for women and will respect her wishes.
I don't frequent here often and didn't know there was a problem with Trollers.
If she felt like deleting the tread then I figured me replies would encourage more posts so I got rid of mine.

I guess that I feel that if I can get more women interested in fishing I will be very happy. But I think that most women will not go by themselves and you guys need all the help you can get to find a fishinggal partner. grin.gif

As for canitbelucks? "The macho I know everything attitude that most men have can be a reason for some women or children to not want to go fishing , the fishing may not be the problem, but the attitudes are." That is sooooo very correct! I have seen this in fishing, home repair (this is where my husband and I really get into it) sports, and at horse shows.
Nothing will turn a new interest off for a child or a woman like a man that takes over and knows all. Give them a chance to have fun (of course they will probably out fish you) and they will keep coming back. Remember, some times the wrong way works better. grin.gif

Good luck with your fishing!

------------------
Phyl

Phyl, You are 110 % right! My girlfriend who never fished before I met her catches more fish than me half the times, and she always takes the last cast! I'm at a point now that I like to see others that haven't experienced catching fish catch them. At times I just sit back,relax, and enjoy. But my buddys, different stoooory! I have learned the best way to make someone learn and enjoy fishing is explanation and patience. Learning the whys and hows of fishing to include imagineing how baits act when doing different things are some ways. Fish habits and such. Yelling,ridicule ,or even competition has no place in helping someone learn how to fish. This will take away any enjoyment and instill a fear of makeing mistakes. Although a little competition down the road maybe. smile.gif A lot of men take for granted that everyone should know how to work a jig over rocks without getting snagged, or pinpoint casts to a piece of shoreline structure without ending up on the shoreline. I dont care how good you are, we all snag rocks and shore sometimes. Point is, experience,time,and maybe a little natural ability is what it takes to become a fisherman. can it be luck?

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 08-02-2003).]

This has turned into a neat discussion! I am completly with you can it be luck! I believe that each person in a relationship should be there and help and encourage the other person in every aspect of life and just not fishing.

If my Miss Right was catching more fish than I was I sure hope she would give me some advice!

Thank's all for keeping this conversation on this track.

Jeff S

Jeff, I don't want to delete your post and it sounds like you are getting a lot of good advise. My biggest worry is that there will be a woman looking in here to post a ? about fishing and be afraid of the kind of response she might get so decide not to post.
I did take out a couple of remarks that ST made for this reason. Most people that like to fish have been raised that way. Taught when they were very young by a parent or close friend. I have 3 daughters that love to fish because they were raised fishing from the time they could hold their own pole. They are the ones that have been getting their husbands interested in fishing. None of them fished much before they met them. I'm also the one that got fishing started in my family because I fished with my family as a young girl. Beleive me Jeff when you find that specail someone it won't be because she knows how to fish or not and you won't even care. Most likly fishing will be far from your mind, but hopefully it will turn out to be something you enjoy doing together.
<><Mary><>

I think this has been a great topic. I agree with Mary about finding a partner. You have to enjoy doing lot's of things together. Some marriages work when the husband and wife have different interests and go their seperate ways on the weekends. But it seems like not for long.

My husband and I go to horse shows, horse sales and fishing together. I do not like going out with the girls and he does not like going out with the guys. He went to a horse sale last Dec. with two guys and said he would never do it again. I think it is because he can't yell at them to do what he wants like he does at me. grin.gif

I have seen a lot of horse show marriages suffer and destroyed because one of the partners went to shows and the other one stayed home. Seems like there is just to much trouble to get into.

So Jeff, now that you have all our good advice hope you find a fishergal.

And here is a note for you ladies that Mary mentioned might be afraid to ask a questions on this site. DO NOT BE!. These guys treat us better than they do each other and still have a lot of fun with us. They have never made fun of our questions and they are always very helpful. So ask away girls - you'll never learn if you don't ask. Besides most of them have better recipes than we do.

------------------
Phyl

I found it an interesting read in response to Jeffs' interest in "finding a fishing gal."
My mom taught my sister & I to fish. She just made it fun. A can of worms & a bamboo pole. I never learned how to use a rod & reel til I was 21, & I was not very good. My first spouse did not have the patience for me. Well, spouse #2 did have the patience & as I said in the previous post, I love to fish.
It is funny though. When a gal is @ for example, Fleet farm in the lure section, some of the men look like this is not where the bobbers are.
A couple of guys were just excuse the expression, just plain cute, one day when I was picking out some new musky lures. They asked so sweetly if I fished. Sweetly I replied, take a look @ the back of my shirt. It was the shut up & fish one. We all had a gd. laugh. They wanted to know if I really did fish musky. They were interested & we exchanged tips, & stories.
Saw 2 gals last yr. on Leech. They were in a walleye tournie. They & the boat/motor were impressive....p.s. they were getting fish.
Gal Power. Char

Oh Char - you can not imagine the memories you stirred up when you mentioned the pole and worms. My Grandma loved to fish and would make such a mess out of a reel that my dad purchased the longest bamboo poles he could find. These were really, really long. Anyway, when she would catch a fish she would pull the pole straight up and over her shoulder so the fish landed on the dock. So when we were walking out or sitting on the dock we would yell "Nanny caught a fish - hit the deck!" I got hit in the face more than once with a fish. And she was also very good at hanging them up in the trees when she fished back behind the cabin in the bay. But she sure did instill a love of fishing in me.

------------------
Phyl