• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Turn signal won't always work!

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500, and this fall, the blinkers sometimes won't work. When I move the steering wheel up or down, they will sometimes work for a while, but then stop again. I realize that the problem is in the steering column, I just wonder how much it may be to repair? Thanks for any suggestions. eek

I had the same thing happen recently to an older Ford truck I had. The garage had to replace the whole turning signal unit and I believe it cost about $150.00....if you have it replaced, maybe let us know what the skinny is....I for one would be interested, as I also have a 2003 Dodge 1500.

I'm getting the impression that it must be in the wiring in the steering column, because if they stop working, if I adjust the column, they will start working again, at least for a while.

I think it's time to let a pro figure this out. Thanks for you suggestions.

Either that or the pins in the connector are burnt up (imagine that on a chrysler product shocked ). When you tilt the wheel the conector flexes just enough to give itself a decent contact.

Either way the column trim cover would need to come off to check.

For what its worth, I've had the same problem with my Powerstroke and sometimes it has been just a pinched wire. But I believe Arjer right, probably a totally new switch etc.

I can move it to where they work and just lock it and leave it and drive for months with them working fine.

I had the same problem with a 2006 Dodge Pickup . Sometimes even the wrong turn signal would come on. I did a search on the internet and the cheapest fix worked and all it cost was a can of electric motor cleaner . I took the couple of covers off of the column, Carefully disconnected the connector and lightly sprayed the connections and wiped them clean right away so as not to let it drip on anything. They were not dirty to look at but there could have been a light film on it. Then I sprayed real lightly a couple of times right into the switch from the handle and wiped up each time , while actuating the lever back and forth. Problem went away and it's been great since April.I also let it dry a few minutes before putting back together and testing it. It was full of dust and dirt from the turn signal lever. The voltage is so low in the switch to signal the control module that a little dirt is a big problem.

I had the same problem with a 2006 Dodge Pickup . Sometimes even the wrong turn signal would come on. I did a search on the internet and the cheapest fix worked and all it cost was a can of electric motor cleaner . I took the couple of covers off of the column, Carefully disconnected the connector and lightly sprayed the connections and wiped them clean right away so as not to let it drip on anything. They were not dirty to look at but there could have been a light film on it. Then I sprayed real lightly a couple of times right into the switch from the handle and wiped up each time , while actuating the lever back and forth. Problem went away and it's been great since April.I also let it dry a few minutes before putting back together and testing it. It was full of dust and dirt from the turn signal lever. The voltage is so low in the switch to signal the control module that a little dirt is a big problem.

The minivans had the same kind of issue with the turn signals. I have replace quite a few of them in the past year.