• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger Extensions

JBMasterAngler

Generally speaking, who has the cheapest prices on them...ganter mtn, cabela's, fleet farm, etc? Is any brand as good as the next? This may come as a shock to you, given the topic, but I've never needed to use one (or own one obviously), but I might be making my first trips to URL and/or LOW and don't want to come up short (literally).

I know Strike Master usually sells them for 5 bucks at their service center. Get it tuned up and pick up an extension, can't go wrong since they do have the best customer service I have ever seen in any industry.

I think you should post this question in the Upper Red Lake forum under the heading "Do I need an extension?" gringringrin

LOL!!! Don't post it there, you'll get laughed at laugh !!!

They are relatively cheap for what they are worth! I think you can find a decent one @ fleet between 10-20 dollars. Well worth it so you don't have to be the guy asking if you need on in February!! wink

Ice auger extensions for each vendor are specific to that vendor due to shaft size and on some models the bolt pattern placement in relation to the output shaft on the power head.

So in general a Jiffy needs a Jiffy extension and a StrikeMaster will need a StrikeMaster extension. Eskimo is a different story and on some units can run a StrikeMaster extension, but not a Jiffy.

The price for either of these is generally $29.

It is wise to keep an eye out for one early....as when you need one is on late ice...often they are already sold out for the year at that time...there is always a rush on them late and by then vendors will not resupply tell the next season.

Late season ice last year..on the system I was fishing...we had 52" of ice to contend with in some areas...so I have 2 extensions just in case. And many could not find even 1....as they were sold out and not easy to locate.

I don't dare mention extentions in the URL thread eeklaugh Thanks for the tip on using brand with brand, makes sense, jiffy it is. I've drilled through 36+ inches of ice before, I'm actually pretty confident I won't ever need it, but that's a very long drive to NOT be playin' it safe.

Jiffy makes a very sensible ice auger extension configuration, as it has 2 adjustments...6" and 12" on the same extension.

11HSRJXV0FL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

I also use a "Kwik Koupler", that add's a few inches and most of the time 1 extension and the quick coupler gets it done....often just the extra depth from the coupler on most lakes does it.

The ice auger Kwik Koupler is a real handy gizmo...makes accommodating a auger in a portable much easier and safer for gear. The KK's run about $35.

WX2-154376 Kwik Koupler fits Jiffy Augers.

kwik_koupler_350px.jpg

WX2-154375 Kwik Koupler fits Strikemaster Augers.

I'm not sure what the OD dimensions are of the output shaft on the Nils augers, but one of these two may also function well on them as well.

Seriously... most retarded question ever asked, ever! wink

Should I buy spare hooks for these crankbaits? What about extra plastics in case a fish destroys what came in the package? Should I get extra lantern mantels or will they last? I'm not sure how old this line is but will it work?

I've bottomed an auger out WITH an extension on Lake of the Woods. Sure wish I had another when that happened. frown

They really should just sell them with the augers.

i thought those kwik koupler things were called/ "quick bit looser" down the hole???

If you thinking they fall off easily, not in my experience they do not. I drilled 100's and 100's of holes last winter in very deep ice and I never found it loose or in danger of falling off..not even once. To me, it would be very obvious if it was loose..it would wobble like crazy and I would check it.

Yet it you try hard enough, you can loose most anything down a hole I guess.

One should remember, they make 2 models. I believe one tightens clockwise, the other counter clockwise to accommodate Jiffy drives or a StrikeMaster drive rotation.

If someone used the wrong coupler with the wrong rotation...ya...I can easily see it spinning off due to momentum, and down the hole if loose. Even then, you would need to work at it a bit to put the wrong coupler on the wrong unit. Not sure if that is feasible either due to shaft size differences?

If I manage to loose mine this season due to "Operator "D'OH"...or whatever...I'll fess-up...but I doubt it will happen.

I think once you see one you will see it is well engineered, and if tightened properly...it ain't going anywhere. Tolerances are tight, well made units.

Not to hijack the thread, but do you guys take the auger off of the powerhead that often? I think they travel better together, rather than having the powerhead rolling around your truck. For summer storage I disassemble them, or driving to and from the lake when I take our Outback and am fishing houseless. While on the ice, it's always together.

Oh yeah; I ordered (3) 10" extensions a couple years ago from SM directly. They were shipped to my door and the whole pricetag was around $30.

When I need the extensions that is when I find quick removal of the head unit the most handy, to fit in a portable for travel. Most of the early and mid season the auger fits ok, and mid to late the 5" of extra depth helps out with the Kwik Koupler. Everyone has there own needs I guess. It's a good option to consider.

With all the shack mod's going on a inset cradle box built for the power head would be one I would certainly consider building into the deck. The less that heavy auger bounces around in the sled the better. I have personally broken more ice rods due to augers than on fish, even in a ice rod case.