• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter Stream Trout Fishing?

hello, all, brand new to this forum.

i live in mpls, fish mostly up on the iron range where folks have a cabin, mostly bass, pike, sunnies, but last couple of yrs have explored small trout stream up there and have had a blast, tho the fish are very small. i am using ultralight spinning outfit, hope to learn to flyfish someday.

anyway, i am wondering if any of you have tried fishing during the winter stream trout c&r season in s.e. mn. i am looking to "talk" to someone who knows something about this, as i have no idea where to go (or rather, how to actually GET there as maps are bad), what to use, how to dress, etc. would even be willing to hire a "guide", pro or amateur, to take me out so i can get the hang of it.

any and all info/advice/referrals appreciated. i simply can't stand not fishing for this many months, and ice fishing doesn't do it for me, i need to cast!

------------------

Welcome fishnchick, I hope you get a good respose to your ???s. I know what you mean about not fishing for the winter months. Wow sounds like you have a nice place to go fishing. I do most of my fishing in a boat on a lake so I'm the one to answer you, but there a lot of other people that I hope will come and give you some good feed back on this. Check back often <><Mary><>

fishinchick,

You came to the right place!!! Welcome!!!!

First, I suggest you refer to your regs book for which streams are open for the WInter season etc.

Generally, the trout are quite lethargic in the winter. They can be caught, but slowing down your presentation and going small might improve your chances.

SInce you mentioned you will most likely be spin fishing, I recommend either a 1/16 to 1/8 oz. rooster tail or your favorite spinner brand in that size range.

Might need to experiment with color. Try purple or black to start off. If you have success, stick with that color/size. No need to freeze your fingers by changing all of te time.

Long casting can increase your catch as well. Not much of a back drop to camo yourself in, plus the wtaers will be gin clear and low.
That being said, by -pass general runs, hitting the deeper holes, at the head, inside and the tail end.
Slow retrieves!!

Have a real good set of hemo's or pliers for that quick release.

Good luck and please let us know how you do!!!!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

PS> APril 26 th is my 3rd Annual Trout Day. See Tourney Events or Rochester Forum for updated details!!

Thanks for all the info and encouragement, folks, and keep it coming. Jim, i will try to make that event, sounds fun. The only reason i started fishing for trout in the first place was that the season opens a month earlier. what else ya gonna do in april????