• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting with my 12 yr old son for first time - - safety tips

I am planning on taking my son deer hunting for the first time this year. Actually, it will be the first time that I have gone in almost 20 years and the first time in Minnesota. We are planning on hunting public land in the Deer River (national forest) area. I hope that we can get a deer to shoot at! That said, what are your thoughts on safety. We'll be in blaze orange from head to toe, but rifle hunting freaks me out a bit (was slug only in Buffalo Co WI where I used to hunt). What are your best safety tips. The area we plan to hunt is forest, wetlands and limited farm land. We're both pretty excited. Thanks I very much look forward to your thoughts.

Make sure both of your are wearing a saftey harness if you are shooting out of a tree stand. And take the boy out shooting alot to get use to shooting that gun. It is my boy first year too. took him out shooting with his 20 guage shotgun. Looked like all thumbs the first 30 rounds but after about 100 he looked comfortable loading the gun. And while he is shoot might as well pop a few off too lol.

First alwasy be sure of your target, never shoot at movement or shapes unless you are 100% positive its a deer. Like you I also wear head to toe blaze orange, you never know who else is out there and what their experience level is. Also is any low light situations, alwasy and I mean ALWAYS have a flashlight on. This is especially important on heavily hunted public ground. You might think its bright enough to see fine but if you are in the shadows and someone is 100+ yards awasy that blaze orange isn't as bright as a flashlight.