• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

choke tubes for large steel shot

I'm just curious to see what everyone is using for choke tubes with large sized steel shot. I have been using 3 1/2" federal T's at 1550 fps out of a rem. factory mod. I shot it at a piece of plywood at 40 yds and there were some holes in the pattern. I know it's not a very efficient way to pattern a gun, but it gave me an idea. I might try the IC tomorrow.

i dont really pattern my gun.. if shooting oppertunity exists.. ill shoot half my limit with a full choke and half with a mod and cound how many shells it took to get the limit with the different chokes.. whatever took the most birds on opener with least # of shots is my choke for the season.. last year it was full now its mod..

Ive had my best luck with a mod choke in my browning gold, 870 and my stoger but I have run the IM during a few late diver hunts with great results. I talked with a couple old timers on leech one time and they got me to try a skeet choke over the decoys at 15-20 yrds and I had mixed results dont know if it was me or the choke and I'll leave it at that. I'm gonna purchase a patternmaster soon to see what all the hype is about. My browning full is steel compatable along with my stoger.

traditionally, steel patterns tighter than lead, so a lead modified is the theoretical equivalent of a steel full choke.

30_06, try dropping down a few shot sizes and do some patterning. you will probably find those holes fill up no problem if you switch to a #1 or BB payload. the #1's i shoot put more pellets in a 30" circle at 40 yards than there is in an entire equivalent payload of BB. a 3.5" 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 oz load of #1's will absolutely wreck a goose at 40 yards. most of the geese i shoot are with 3" 1 1/4 oz #1's out of a patternamster.

T shot is a proven crippler load...hence the reason why many states ban it...but if you can get it to pattern decent, it is very effective.

Agree with Carp. Even BBB tends to pattern better than T. Try the I/C also the last time I patterned my I/C had justas tight of a pattern as my mod but not as many holes. If u want to keep shooting T's get a patternmaster very tight patterns with large shot. I just got a new Beretta and am debating if I want to get a new patternmaster. After shooting one for 8 years or so I think I am gonna have to. lol

Side Note: Eddie gimme a buzz some time if u need a hunting partner this fall. smile

Originally Posted By: broken_line
mine says i can use steel.. have been for 3 years with no problems..

Hmmmmmm what kind of shotgun do you shoot?

Unless I am confusing Skeet Choke and Full Choke.

remington 870.. the choke says lead or steel.. all it says is remington full: steel or lead...

Agree with Carp. Even BBB tends to pattern better than T. Try the I/C also the last time I patterned my I/C had justas tight of a pattern as my mod but not as many holes. If u want to keep shooting T's get a patternmaster very tight patterns with large shot. I just got a new Beretta and am debating if I want to get a new patternmaster. After shooting one for 8 years or so I think I am gonna have to. lol

Side Note: Eddie gimme a buzz some time if u need a hunting partner this fall. smile

sounds good! Im not done with the cats quite yet either, and it should be a good year for eyes'

I shoot beretta 391's and I know that three is no full choke for steel shot. Modified lead is a full choke steel. Steel shot is always one pattern higher than lead shot excluding improved modified with steel. Make sure your choke is made for steel shot and your just not shooting steel through a lead choke. Some chokes are able to shoot both as a mentioned. If your shooting 3 1/2" T shot over decoys that is more than enough to make an effective kill. If not maybe a little more practice is in order?

I used to shoot triple B becuse they patterned best out of my 870 then went to Blackcloud in BB and they have neary the same pattern buut more holes in the paper and They really knock the geese down. I shoot 3 inch shells and I have also knocked a few geese down and I mean folded them up with BC #4's but wouldnt recomend useing it. because of its size I used it because thats all I had with when the geese came over.

All of this out of factory mod chokes