• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do women Ice Fish?

On another board that I frequent, someone made the comment that "few women" ice fish. Seeing that I've really only 1 passionate ice fisherwomen, I didn't know how to respond. It does seem likes it's a guy thing, with a lot more kids than ladies.

OH I'm sure there are plenty women that ice fish out there I'm just not one of them. I keep telling myself every year that I'm going to get out there and try it but never do. It gets to be such a long time bettween fall and sping not to be fishing.
<><Mary><>

I think is must be that the ladies are just a tad bit smarter than we are. My ex was up for just about any outdoor activity. She had no problem with camping in the rain, cleaning fish, cutting firewood. And over the years had become a quite skilled at flyfishing, shooting, skiing, snowmobiling, running a jetboat, dipnetting salmon, smoking fish, etc, etc. But there was one outdoor pursuit where she drew the line, no way, no how was she going to in any way, shape or form, go icefishing. She was happy to tag along and ski or snowmobile while I fished. But there was no way she was going to fish thru a hole in the ice. The whole concept was lost on her and I think she thought me a bit nuts for doing it! grin.gif

I personally never could see the point. I don't like football so why go out in the cold to drink beer, watch football and fish in a dark hole? In the summer you can get a tan, see the loons, and watch the lake activity.

Now if it were 75 degrees out I would probably ice fish. grin.gif So guess I will just stay in a wait for spring.

------------------
Phyl

I LOVE to ice fish, providing we have a shelter with a heater or it's a warmer day to stand out on the ice. The big thing is to have the appropriate clothing. I got some new stuff last year and made my ice fishing experience that much more enjoyable. The hubby and I went to Upper Red Lake this Feb. and stayed out there for 3 days. The temps overnight were around -25 F. not including the windchill..sounds cold, but we have an awesome fish house and had 70+ degrees inside. I think I ice fish more than summer fish, well, that's probably a toss up.

-------------

Hey! Your bobbers gone! shocked.gif

Fishn'Lady

(patiently waiting for hard water)

I am new to this site, but had to comment on the ice fishing question. I love to ice fish, as long as I can stay warm. My husband built me my permanent fish house 3 years ago, very well insulated, I can fish in my shirt sleeves. We also have a fish trap portable, and that works O.K. if it isn't too windy. Ice fishing can be just as fun as open water, if you can just stay WARM.

Welcome Seahag, Its good to see some ice fishing woman on here. Keep us posted this winter on your fishing so us fair weather woman can wish we were out there to. grin.gif
It doesn't sound half bad if you can keep warm and have a nice house to fish in. Do you have pretty good luck in the winter? What are some of your catches so far? Is the ice thick enough where you fish yet? Do you get out fishing much on open water? Ok I'll stop with the ???s. Hope to hear from you again.
<><Mary><>

Fishn'Lady, Keep us posted on how you are doing this winter. So far I've been keeping busy getting ready for Christmas that I haven't missed it much yet, but after that I'll wish I was out there fishing.
<><Mary><>

Well, Hello everyone! I will try to answer some of the questions. We've been ice fishing since 1 Dec. The ice was about 4" thick the first time we went out. I make my husband walk first, so if the ice is too thin he falls in first!! (HA-HA). We've been doing O.K. so far, but the last two evenings have been slow. We also open water fish, just bought a new boat in 2001. I will fish for just about any type of fish, except bullheads and carp. I believe in catch and release, but we do keep a few to eat. We have two kids (boy and girl) who are learning to fish. They like to go, and are learning patience and some different fishing techniques. Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. When we get into some good fishin' I'll keep you posted.
Good Fishin'

In regards to women & ice fishing, I love to ice fish....well really any kind of fishing is for me.(Prefer musky & northerns.)
Sometimes, my husb. says the boat comes first,& he second.....sorry to say, sometimes he is right.
We'll be going out for crappies after Christmas. Use the portable shelter & a heater. Some snacks & soda. No booze for us.
This is a fantastic site. Look foreward to checking it out some more.

I love to ice fish. Sometimes we use the portable but most of the time we just sit on the ice. The only thing that gets me is when the ice is popping and cracking. We were on the river and no matter where I went it seemed like the cracks and pops followed. Godd for the others entertainment though.

------------------
****riverdancer****