• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Supercharged

The problem with the K&N filters is that when you have to clean and re-oil them, it's too easy to put too much oil on them. That extra oil is what gets up the air tube and clogs things up. They aren't necessarily bad though. If you decide to get one, it's pretty easy to pop out the MAF sensor, inspect it to make sure there isn't anything building up on it, and give it a spray with some MAF cleaner to be sure. If you really overdid it with the oil, you would have problems for sure. The filter itself probably won't do much, but you would notice something from the CAI.

A better option would be to get an undersized supercharger pulley. It's a pretty popular mod on your engine. Most people go with a 3.4" pulley. This mod will make the supercharge spin faster, giving you more boost. They say 25-30hp more. The pulley itself is under $100, but you need a specialize tool if you want to do it right. Still, it's more bang for your buck than the intake mod.

The Bonneville SSEi and the Grand Prix Supercharged both have the 3800 with a supercharger on them.

Gutting the airbox will get you around 5-7 more HP, and a pretty decent sound to it.

Yeah, I understand about using the same/similar supercharged engine. I was only saying he's gone further than just air cleaners, with custom PROM work, compressor pulleys, exhaust, injector flow match, tranny work, etc., etc.

Dunno how it is on the Pontiacs, but I've mostly gutted the air intake on my '91 Z-28 Camaro. The caution for that car is to be careful in the rain/water puddles because the resulting splash can soak the air filters with the baffles removed.

Not a big deal for me because the Camaro gets driven only in nice weather, but on a daily driver it might be a different story.

Theres another mod along those lines I see people typing about. Not sure what 3.8's specifically but they install aftermarket rolling rockers and pushrods that are available as a kit. They get more lift out of the valves which apparently helps quite a bit.